News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Where were you on 9/11?

Started by Tank, May 11, 2010, 09:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

My girlfriend woke me up telling me that a plane had hit one of the towers.  Being a former Air Force firefighter, I immediately thought of the 1945 accident involving a B-25 hitting the Empire State Building, and said as much.  She roused me again about three minutes later with the news that another plane had hit.  AOL was going nuts with the news.

At the time, I lived about 200 foot from the main gate of the big Naval Base Ventura County, and was able to dispel my disbelief by stepping outside my door and seeing the traffic jam that the base's lockdown had imposed.

I'm glad I didn't have to work that day; I would had to have walked.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

xSilverPhinx

I had missed the school day and didn't know of anything until my younger sister burst into the room after school saying that world war III had started. At first I didn't take her seriously, she was only 12 at the time and didn't know squat about world wars 1 and 2 but then saw it on CNN myself. WWIII or not, it took awhile to digest.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"I had missed the school day and didn't know of anything until my younger sister burst into the room after school saying that world war III had started. At first I didn't take her seriously, she was only 12 at the time and didn't know squat about world wars 1 and 2 but then saw it on CNN myself. WWIII or not, it took awhile to digest.
You know she may well have been right. One day our descendants may look back at 9/11 and see it as 'the smoking gun' that started WWIII.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

Back in those days, I worked in trash, or rather the solid waste department. I was on the side of the truck when we came up to the last house on a street and there's this Gallagher looking guy that runs out to us and yells "They've flown airplanes into the World Trade Centre." I reply "What?"  And he says it again. I figured he was somewhat nuts. At the time I didn't know what the WTC was but I knew it was in New York.
So the next stop I get off the truck and tell the driver; he shrugs his shoulders. When we finally get back to the shop and in the break room, it's on TV. Then I recognise the towers. We were back on the road by the time they collapsed. Later in the day, a Christian woman I know, who's house we stopped at to pick up her trash happened to be out and I asked her if she heard the news. She says yup and every Muslim should be wiped out for it.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

The Black Jester

I was just leaving my apartment on the UWS of Manhattan when the first plane hit.  One of my roommates told me about it in passing, as I was leaving the building.  My sleep-deprived brain didn't process what he was talking about until later.  I was on my way to a rehearsal for a show I was doing in Chelsea (also in Manhattan, for those who don't know the area, it's a neighborhood on the lower west side).  

By the time I arrived, and walked into the rehearsal hall, the 2nd plane had already struck, and the buildings were beginning to collapse.  Everyone in the rehearsal studio was gathered around the television.  I'll never forget the chilling sound of wails and shrieks of the people next to me in the room, or of the sight of the buildings, knowing it was happening mere blocks away.  I called everyone I knew in the city that day, just to make sure.  Turns out one of my friends was in the 1st tower, but was able to get out in time.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Tank

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, it has been very enlightening to read your stories.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"I had missed the school day and didn't know of anything until my younger sister burst into the room after school saying that world war III had started. At first I didn't take her seriously, she was only 12 at the time and didn't know squat about world wars 1 and 2 but then saw it on CNN myself. WWIII or not, it took awhile to digest.
You know she may well have been right. One day our descendants may look back at 9/11 and see it as 'the smoking gun' that started WWIII.

Yes, could be. :sigh:

One thing it started was the stronger division between "west" and "east"...and only time will tell where that division will lead.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

skwurll

In school, I was in first grade.
I had no idea what was going on.

Tank

Quote from: "skwurll"In school, I was in first grade.
He the worldwide audience what age is first grade?

pinkocommie

Usually 6 and 7 years old.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tank

Quote from: "pinkocommie"

Thanks!

Cecilie

Quote from: "pinkocommie"

Isn't it 5 and 6?
The world's what you create.

pinkocommie

5 and 6 is usually Kindergarten.  :yay:
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Cecilie

Quote from: "pinkocommie"5 and 6 is usually Kindergarten.  :yay:
Meaning the first year you don't actually learn something? If that's what you ment; very true.  :P
The world's what you create.