News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

When you visit a religious conspiracy enthusiast

Started by KDbeads, June 04, 2010, 07:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDbeads

Not sure where this should go... please move if you need to!
I went out today to pick up some hatching eggs and visit a friend.  The friend took me to the people I was getting the eggs from, these are rare heritage breed birds so I braved the unknown in order to get my hands on the eggs.  While there I met the most interestingly convoluted woman I think I have ever met.  I had to keep my mouth shut most of the time because to open it would have probably gotten a shotgun aimed at me.  Would like to get everyone's thoughts on her ideas since I will probably have to deal with this woman again at some point due to her being a friend of a really good friend.

While there, she decided to bring up the oil spill and how she believes it's just one more trick up the sleeves of this 'group' to bring in the 'new world order' by destroying all we have (I'm thinking she is referring to the whole bilderback conspiracy, I didn't ask though, it could be some other new world order conspiracy).  Obama is obviously their leader at the moment, she is obviously racist as well.  One thing after another was Obama bringing in the new world order, I stopped really listening so I have no idea what else she claims he's done.  When she asked if I was a democrat I just told her I don't affiliate myself with party lines, which is the truth.  "Oh, you're one of those."  Was the slightly disgusted response.  She continues to go on about Obama being a crook and the country is going to hell and the new world order thing.  It was insinuated that if I wasn't on their side that I was part of the problem.  On top of all that was the constant insistence that god had blessed her this year with so much because she didn't have to spend money of her flower garden (we got rain this year, wild flowers everywhere).  And that god was a wonderful god and I really needed to start coming out to cowboy church with them and bettering myself and my life.

I can deal with the latter part, most people here are this way but I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the new world order dribble.  It kinda caught me off guard since I normally ignore conspiracy BS.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

elliebean

Next time you see the warning signs,[spoiler:2stray8j][/spoiler:2stray8j]be sure you're dressed in the appropriate attire.
[spoiler:2stray8j][/spoiler:2stray8j]
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

i_am_i

Here's what I'd say. "Yeah, but this is Texas! We're Texans! Us Texans don't let anyone push us around! You're from Texas, arent you?"
Call me J

Sapere aude

elliebean

Quote from: "i_am_i"Here's what I'd say. "Yeah, but this is Texas! We're Texans! Us Texans don't let anyone push us around! You're from Texas, arent you?"
I think that would work.  lol
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

KDbeads

Quote from: "elliebean"Next time you see the warning signs,[spoiler:2av60n0q][/spoiler:2av60n0q]be sure you're dressed in the appropriate attire.
[spoiler:2av60n0q][/spoiler:2av60n0q]

lol[/quote]

I think that would get the rifle pointed at me  :hmm:
I don't confuse easily but that one got me.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tank

Glad I don't live in Texas! I'd have had a stand up argument with her!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KDbeads

So I'm looking through all the various NWO conspiracies just to have a handle on them the next time I bump into her..... I thought there were just a couple, nope, boy was I wrong  :eek2:

It's amazing what some people will buy into.

Whitney

i_am_i

Quote from: "Whitney"I'm glad I don't live in rural Texas...

Rural Texas is actually a very interesting place, quite beautiful in some places, but it's not for the easily intimidated.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Whitney

Quote from: "i_am_i"
Quote from: "Whitney"I'm glad I don't live in rural Texas...

Rural Texas is actually a very interesting place, quite beautiful in some places, but it's not for the easily intimidated.

Interesting and beautiful...yes.  Could I survive there as I do in DFW (openly supporting freethought groups) without being strung up or "accidentally" shot...probably not.

KDbeads

Quote from: "Whitney"Interesting and beautiful...yes.  Could I survive there as I do in DFW (openly supporting freethought groups) without being strung up or "accidentally" shot...probably not.

Yep this area is not for the faint of heart.  Takes a lot of verbal self control to keep me from getting myself in serious trouble  :shake:

karadan

Quote from: "KDbeads"I just found out there's a group out here that are stock piling ammo and meds for when the NWO take over thing happens.  The have a ranch with 10 foot electrified fences and a small housing area on it  :shake:

What. The. Fuck.

That is something i am simply unable to get my head around.

*shudders*
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

KDbeads

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "KDbeads"I just found out there's a group out here that are stock piling ammo and meds for when the NWO take over thing happens.  The have a ranch with 10 foot electrified fences and a small housing area on it  :shake:

What. The. Fuck.

That is something i am simply unable to get my head around.

*shudders*

You and me both.  Even the former mayor buys into this stuff.......

xSilverPhinx

I would just as neutrally as possible shrug off whatever she says. Don't agree with what she says (otherwise she'll see a fellow tinfoil wearer in you and will never shut up about her conspiracy theories, and for somebody who doesn't find them amusing, encouraging her to rant on that sort of nonsense is obviously the last thing you'd want to do.

But you'd probably not want to oppose the nonsense she says either. That would just create heated 'debates', and we all know what talking to a nutter can be like...

One technique I've come to master is pretending to pay attention to what people are saying around me and to me without provoking an upset response in the person that's talking to me but rather just letting them get bored and kill the topic themselves.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Gawen

Quite frankly, I would never go back...eggs or not. I would not knowingly support a person with such beliefs, also knowing that some of her profits are going to that cowboy church that reinforces such idiocy.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor