News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

When you visit a religious conspiracy enthusiast

Started by KDbeads, June 04, 2010, 07:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

Having grown up in rural Texas I'm well acquainted with this sort of situation whether it be government conspiracies, UFOs, mythical creatures (See the culture thread about my hometown and the chupacabra) or religion and the attack on scientific theories such as evolution and, no joke, modern biological psychology - you'd be surprised how hostile some people when I explain what my education is in.

I usually choose my discussions wisely - would it just make the situation easier if I just kept quiet and nodded?  Many times it does.  However, other times, usually after I've had a few beers I have the motivation and endurance to talk about the topics at length.  However, it usually ends up with the other person or persons getting a bit upset and just proclaiming repeatedly that I'm wrong and it usually ends there.

Right now I'm in San Antonio but within the next couple of weeks I'm moving back to a more rural area.  The closest city is Victoria, Texas which has bout 60,000 people.  I had an idea to possibly attempt to start a sort of skeptic's society there with the tentative title of Victoria Society for Evidence-based Inquiry and focusing on mostly issues which are raised locally such as the chupacabra thing, local myths and even things such as the rebuttal I made to a guest column in the local newspaper about evolution.  It'll probably take me a good while before I ever get it off the ground but eventually I'll see how it goes there in south Texas.

Thumpalumpacus

I've got family scattered from the Longview-Tyler region to Midland-Odessa, and from Austin to Amarillo.

I prefer rural Texans, because, while they may or may not hold some odd views, they're much more open about them, in my opinion.

'Course, I haven't lived there in so long I could be seriously out of touch with current streams of thought.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

KDbeads

I'm a bit north of you right now, it's 40 miles south to Fredericksburg just for groceries  :verysad:   Hence why I'm here, I'm learning how to talk like an educated person again  ;)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Ellainix

I like listening to the crazy people. I can make up my own stories and they often agree.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

MetalFang

Next time if and when she direct any questions at you, just yawn, then say, "hmmm....sorry, keep talking, I usually yawn when I'm interested"
"Extraordinary Claims require extraordinary evidence" yeah Carl Sagan was the one who said that.  But, while supporting evidence strengthen our beliefs, negative evidence seldom weakens them, just like a ratchet in tightening a nut.