News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Gays in the Military

Started by Sophus, January 08, 2009, 09:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSY

Do people accept that money if you try to spend it?

IIRC it is classed ( or used to be ) as treason to stick a stamp on an envelope upside down, queens head and all. Are amercians not quite as insane?

Oh, here it is

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7081038.stm
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Tom62

It is perhaps Interesting to know that 2/3 of all laws and regulations of the world are issued here in Germany. There are a lot of regulations and laws that doesn't make much sense. According to the German road regulations (StVO) you are for example allowed to drive around in a car completely naked   ;) .
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sophus

Don't Ask Don't Tell is nearing repeal! And you can sign your name here to show support...  :bananacolor:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/repealdadt?source=feature
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Tank

Quote from: "Sophus"Don't Ask Don't Tell is nearing repeal! And you can sign your name here to show support...  :bananacolor:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/repealdadt?source=feature
I've read the wiki on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" but I'm a bit mystified. If DADT is repealed what will that mean to homosexuals in military service?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sophus

It means that gays can serve in the military without needing to lie about or cover up the fact that they're gay. If someone is gay and wants to serve, with DADT gone, they will be allowed to do so openly.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Tank

Quote from: "Sophus"It means that gays can serve in the military without needing to lie about or cover up the fact that they're gay. If someone is gay and wants to serve, with DADT gone, they will be allowed to do so openly.
I suspected that was what was meant but as the discussion has progressed so far there was a presumption that the people reading were aware of the root issues. Good news indeed. I hope it gets repealed.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Albino_Raptor

To this day, I stand at marvel at the fact that people who put themselves, by contract, into the way of ABC weapons, bullets, explosives, suicide bombings, tank treads and flamethrowers are somehow (assumed to be) afraid of catching THE GAY. I... I just... *does not compute*...
And GOD created the earth, covered with water by 70%, for man, who has no gills.

philosoraptor

I voted yes.  I don't see what baring sexuality has on one's ability to serve their country.  I'd kind of like to know why the one person who voted no feels that way, though.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Asmodean

Quote from: "philosoraptor"I'd kind of like to know why the one person who voted no feels that way, though.

Beee... Cause that one person was a trollish ultra-ortodox fundie? :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

mama_ape

"Oh well it's okay if your gay...we're not telling you what to do BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE PLEASE DON'T ACT GAY!!!" I've always been a bit pissed at the whole damn thing....like you can seriously be less of a soldier if you're gay?  WTF :brick:
So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

Sophus

What's really stupid is when they let go of immensely valuable translators because of their sexuality. These guys could speak Arabic and they let them go when there was a shortage of Arabic speakers. How stupid are we as a country? This repeal is long overdue.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/14/attack/main529418.shtml (Yes, I know this is from 2002)

Tank

Quote from: "Sophus"What's really stupid is when they let go of immensely valuable translators because of their sexuality. These guys could speak Arabic and they let them go when there was a shortage of Arabic speakers. How stupid are we as a country? This repeal is long overdue.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/14/attack/main529418.shtml (Yes, I know this is from 2002)
Emotion often trumps logic and hate is a powerful emotion.

Sophus

Quote from: "Seth MacFarlene"“If you’re sitting at home in your undershirt, watching TV, worried about terrorism, and at the same time objecting to the person who’s putting their life on the line so that your family will be protected, then you’re the worst kind of fucking asshole there is.”

:headbang:   Kind of says it all.

Big Mac

Quote from: "Albino_Raptor"To this day, I stand at marvel at the fact that people who put themselves, by contract, into the way of ABC weapons, bullets, explosives, suicide bombings, tank treads and flamethrowers are somehow (assumed to be) afraid of catching THE GAY. I... I just... *does not compute*...

Ignorance breeds this kind of fear, dude.

These folks also think that when they die they will go to a place high up in the sky or in a pit down below. This same set of values makes you kind of have to discriminate against people who have done nothing to you or anyone else. The logic doesn't compute on any level.

I think this also is funny/sad because it's true:

Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

AtheistBrit

I voted "yes", of course.

I'd also like to point out that there are currently many homosexuals already serving in the US armed forces. They're already there in the showers, possibly checking you out. They're already putting their lives at risk alongside you. They're already fighting and dying on the front lines. The only difference that will be made by the abolition of "don't ask, don't tell" will be that these men will now be able to discuss these facts about themselves without fear of being expelled from the military.