News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Historical Jesus

Started by Matthew, May 30, 2010, 10:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

Quote from: "Tank"Matthew will be back.
Sure about that? Been 6 days.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Tank

Quote from: "Gawen"
Quote from: "Tank"Matthew will be back.
Sure about that? Been 6 days.
I may have to revise my optimism to 'probably'.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

deekayfry

Great stuff :)

Simply put to verify historical accuracy there needs to external verifiable references.  Such practices are still used today.

Things that could establish Jesus in history, to the extent that is reasonably accepted and verified

-Census data that establish lineage (to date this is vastly inconclusive)
-Official documents
-True first hand accounts from those who they themselves are verified.  Preferably accounts from non-interested parties.
-Physical artifacts, such as a place of residence and have things like inscriptions that have John, James, Jesus, Peter, etc.
-Legal records, after all, Jesus did defile the temple, such an event would have shown up somewhere
-Verifiable locations such as a well, a community location, etc.
-Artifacts such as monuments, coins, pottery, etc from the time period

So far, no one has found or presented anything that is convincing that Jesus existed.
I told the people of my district that I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but if not ... you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.-  Davey Crockett, 1834

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Martin TK

I posted this reply on another thread, but I felt it would be served to repost it here.

I believe there were TWO Jesus' figures. One was a historic Jesus, a real Jewish teacher, who lived and taught, and was himself not a Christian but a practicing Jew. Then, there is the "other" Jesus, the Mythical Figure, the Jesus who performed miracles, who was born of a virgin, and who rose from the dead. This Jesus is a mythical construct by early Christians, his deeds, birth, and death/resurection were all embellished to give him "street creds" for the times. Most early Christians didn't think that 2000 years later there would even be a world, much less a religion called Christianity. Most early Christians were convinced that Jesus would return to earth in their lifetime, and guess what, that hasn't changed in 2,000 years. Christians, today, are convinced that Jesus will come again in their lifetime.

Most of the Jesus Myth was borrowed from early Pagan Religions. Early Christians were little more than a group of sects or cults, loosely woven together, at best, by the central belief in a Jesus, but other than that had little in common. It wasn't until the Nicean Council in the fourth century, that the Catholic Church was formed and a central view of Christianity was formed. And how was it formed? By the same way early Christians formed their cults, but taking bits and peices from each sect or cult, and weaving a doctrine of Christianity that could be followed by all. Each sect or cult had their own bible or writings, and it was decided by the council which would be included in the Christian bible and which books or writings would be discarded as too extreme. The fact that Paul wrote to so many of the early churches/sects/cults, became a central part of the development of Christianity. I believe that Paul actually had more to do with the development of Christianity that Jesus did.

Just some thoughts.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion