News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

10 Things About Yourself

Started by Cecilie, May 16, 2010, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibm

Quote from: kitty on May 15, 2012, 08:48:28 AM
Quote from: technolud on May 14, 2012, 09:16:40 PM
I like teenagers, including my own
I like gardening
I like cars
I can fix almost anything.  Its a curse.  Sometimes I get mad and say bad words while I do it.
I almost never get bored.
I'm totally comfortable with being an atheist.  Just seems so right.
I'm really glad I found the Happy Atheist Forum, but it is a little scary.  
I was born without the sports chromosome
My wife keeps me sane.
Everyone in my family, including Laszlo the dog, is smarter then me.  But I try harder

love it. i'm the simple one in the family, everyone else is academic (ish) and i'm the arty one (which is a nice way of saying, yr simple but you can do stuff with yr hands) lol.
i'm never bored coz i always have a bundle of projects going on, so i can pick and choose which one to work on at any time (does mean my house is a frickin mess lol).
and i too fix everything at least 3 times before it eventually goes in the bin (i have two boys that break stuff constantly grrrr).
nice to meet you sir, it that yr dog laszlo?

That's great!

"Jack of all trade, master at none", that's me. But I don't know if my wife will withstand another "Honey, I fixed the vacuum cleaner ... again!" from me. Yep, there's nothing like a pocket knife in the kitchen.

But I must admit that ever since the miniaturization of everything, it gets harder to fix stuff i.e. cameras, radios, electronic toys, toasters with electronic circuitry, cheap plastic, the disappearance of wood and metal etc.

technolud

So true.  32 gigabytes on a micro-SD card.  Might as well be magic.

kitty

Quote from: technolud on May 16, 2012, 08:39:50 PM
So true.  32 gigabytes on a micro-SD card.  Might as well be magic.

lmao
so true, my husband used to take stuff apart all the time, but its just toooo small now.
have to admit, i dont mess about with electrics anyway, i'd blow myself up. i can fix a plug, thats it.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

Firebird

Miniaturization is definitely the most amazing advance of the past 10-15 years, IMHO. I remember getting a 1 GB hard drive when I was in junior high and thinking how magical it was. That and the internet, of course.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

kitty

this is some serious thread diversion!

but anyhoo,
i was 21 when i got my first email address (i wasnt behind the times, that was when i had moved away for uni and we had barely done computers at college), and yet my son's 4 yr old bestf can use youtube to watch vids of trains and stuff. craziness.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

markmcdaniel

1. I am an Air force brat.
2. I was a veteran world traveler by age 3.
3. Studied Anthropology in collage Where I didn't graduate.
4. I am one of the worst spellers in the known universe. If I wasn't an atheist I would probably thank God for spell check.
5. I like cats better then dogs and aquarium fish better than either.
6. I am a double amputee. I currently live in a nursing facility, but, hope to leave when I learn to walk again.
7. I have fallen in love with my E-Book reader.
8. The only types of literature that I categorically refuse to read are kiss and tell biographies, celebrity biographies, and stab in the back non fiction.
9. My favorite types of music are currently folk and filk and my favorite music artists are Stan Rogers, Heater Dale, Heather Alexander, and Julia Ecklar
10. My favorite artist (painting) is Steve Hanks.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tank

Quote from: markmcdaniel on May 17, 2012, 02:18:52 PM

6. I am a double amputee. I currently live in a nursing facility, but, hope to leave when I learn to walk again.

Obviously this is the unusual one. I'm curious to know what happened so I don't guess and fill in inappropriate details. An answer of 'Mind your own business' is of course 100% acceptable.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

1. I am an Air force brat.
2. I was a veteran world traveler by age 3.
3. Studied Anthropology in collage Where I didn't graduate.
4. I am one of the worst spellers in the known universe. If I wasn't an atheist I would probably thank God for spell check.
7. I have fallen in love with my E-Book reader.
8. The only types of literature that I categorically refuse to read are kiss and tell biographies, celebrity biographies, and stab in the back non fiction.
9. My favorite types of music are currently folk and filk and my favorite music artists are Stan Rogers, Heater Dale, Heather Alexander, and Julia Ecklar
10. My favorite artist (painting) is Steve Hanks.

2. By age 3? Wow! What's your earliest memory of traveling? Many people don't recall too much from when they were 3.

5. Where you're currently living, are there aquarium fish tanks there? Some facilities have absolutely gorgeous tanks of beautiful fish in them. Whenever I visit the nursing facility a family member works at, I love to go and watch the fish. I could do so for a long, long time.  ;D I do love cats though, too. VERY much.

7. What kind of e-book reader do you have? I have a Kindle, and I love it.

9. I'd never heard of Filk music, so I looked it up -- apparently folk music with a nerdy sci-fi bent! Cool! I didn't even know that existed, so thanks for that, Mark. I'll be sure to check it out. Sounds like it's right up my alley! :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

OldGit

Quote from: Mark7. I have fallen in love with my E-Book reader.

Not you as well.  :o

DeterminedJuliet

Yay! Another cat lover! We're slowly taking over! *muahahaha*
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

markmcdaniel

In answer to the various questions in my original post:

Tank I do not mind talking about my amputations at all' If i did i would not have mentioned them. The relatively short version is that about 3 years ago I went to my doctor to have a never healing blister looked at ,on my left foot, and it was discovered that that I was an undiagnosed diabetic. I was supposed to get the wound worked on the next day. However, the wound went septic between getting up and arriving at the clinic. I had the first operation on my foot that night. Three operations later I wound up a foot shorter. I made the adjustment to my first peg leg easily and went back to work on a near full time basis. Unfortunately, about18 months ago, I made the mistake they warn all diabetics about. I bought a new pair of shoes. This of course resulted in a second blister. Just to prove that I do learn from past experience I went in to the doctor before the wound went septic. Unfortunately, just to prove that I am stubborn and that sometimes it takes more than one lesson to learn a point I went in afraid I would lose a toe and ended up losing another foot. 

Amicale, My father was transfered to Spain when I was 3, but, I have no reliable memories of this time. As for my current residence it does not allow pets. MY last home had Four tanks two Dogs Nine cats and an aviary. We do have an aviary here but birds are much more interesting outdoors. My book reader is a Sony that I hope to replace soon with a Nook color. If the prices keep dropping maybe I will get one in my next box of Cracker Jacks. Filk artists that I can recommend are Three Weird Sisters, Heather Alexander, Heather Dale. SJ Tucker and Julia Ecklar. All can be found on You Tube.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

OldGit

Ooh, blimey - a lesson for all us diabetics to take care of our feet!  That's really tough luck, Mark, since you didn't know you were diabetic.

technolud

I'm willing to overlook the dog-cat thing (ever notice, lots of jokes about no dogs in heaven but none about no cats in heaven), but I'll take you up on the "one of the worst spellers in the known universe" statement.  I'm willing to enter into a "who can misspell the most words" contest any place, any time.

Technolud.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on May 18, 2012, 10:30:26 AM
Ooh, blimey - a lesson for all us diabetics to take care of our feet!  That's really tough luck, Mark, since you didn't know you were diabetic.
Agreed! Being a fellow diabetic I'll be paying even more attention to my feet now  :o
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

There should be a spoiler button for this sort thing to spare us hypochondriacs more panic.
Already any chest twinge presages a heart attack, forgotten keys is early onset Alzheimers, any skin spot is a melanoma, a mosquito bite could lead to various horrors, now I have to worry about losing my extremities.  Aaach, it's almost enough to drive someone into a healthy lifestyle.