News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Punch or Montecristo, both or neither?

Started by Tank, May 15, 2010, 01:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Punch or Montecristo? I have just invested in a Monticristo No2 Torpedo  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

SSY

Montecristos offer a very full bodied, strong smoke, their No 2 exemplifies this trait. To me, I find them too strong, they come across with a distinct bitter taste, I prefer something milder. My choice of cigars are either Cohiba Siglos or EL Ray del Mundo Choix supremes, the former being earthy, the latter being sweet and aromatic. Having said that, I don't smoke often these days, the last Cohiba I had was a couple of years ago, so I don't know what the current harvest is like.

Make sure you keep your cigars at an appropriate humidity, dry cigars give an acrid smoke, not nice. Where did you buy it? Did they have a functioning humidor?
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Tank

I buy my cigars from Greens of Leeds http://www.greensofleeds.co.uk/

I have a little humidor that will hold a dozen cigars or so. I agree that the No2 is strong so I don't have them much, but if I'm going to have a long time to smoke one then they are a bit of a treat. I had one Cohiba once and honestly nearly threw up, it was quite a shock as they do have a good name. I also bought an Oliva V robusto which I haven't tried before. Also a couple of Te-Amo Nicaragua robustos. Te-Amo is a brand that covers a number of countries. The do an excellent Mexican vintage which is one I really like but they didn't have any in stock today.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

SSY

Ah, glad you know how to treat your cigars, I wince when I see someone puffing away  on the dessicated husk of a cigar they bought from a newsagent's, the cigar having sat on the shelf for months or years before.

A bad Cohiba eh? What did you dislike about it? I would encourage you to try another, a Siglo 1 can be had cheaply and shows off all the qualities that make them so special. My favourite thing about Cohibas, is the fact they were reserved for "Diplomatic use only" only 1982, and they are rolled in the mansion of a former governor. Being snobby, I tend to stick to Cubans, if I am going to get cancer, then I may as well do it the right way, I make an exception for a few Davidoffs though, excellent blending goes into those.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it

Squid

I saw Monte Cristo and this is what I thought of:

Whitney

^me too.  In which case I was going to suggest punch because I was physically sick the last time I had a montecristo due to all the fat and sugar.

Tank

The Cuban cigar brands are sometimes named after the Estate owner, some are named after books or magazines that were read to the workers as the roll the cigars as there were no radios when the brands first became established.

Tank

Quote from: "SSY"Ah, glad you know how to treat your cigars, I wince when I see someone puffing away  on the dessicated husk of a cigar they bought from a newsagent's, the cigar having sat on the shelf for months or years before.

A bad Cohiba eh? What did you dislike about it? I would encourage you to try another, a Siglo 1 can be had cheaply and shows off all the qualities that make them so special. My favourite thing about Cohibas, is the fact they were reserved for "Diplomatic use only" only 1982, and they are rolled in the mansion of a former governor. Being snobby, I tend to stick to Cubans, if I am going to get cancer, then I may as well do it the right way, I make an exception for a few Davidoffs though, excellent blending goes into those.
Tried Davidoffs the are OK . I used to just buy Cubans because it 'was the thing to do' but the guy at Greens really knows his stuff and I have now found cigars I like at 50 to 75% the price of Cubans. If ever see CAO try one, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and I'll try another Cohiba!

SSY

Those sandwiches, while delicious, are a pain to make, and you can't find them in cafes over here :(.