News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What do you believe?

Started by Wondering, May 04, 2010, 05:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wondering

Is there a widely accepted atheist belief on creation? I don't mean evolution,but rather a belief in how things started. Or is it just an "it was just there" type of thing?

I'm not trying to attack anybody, rather I'm honestly curious, so try to refrain from ignorant bashing please and thank you

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Wondering"Is there a widely accepted atheist belief on creation?

Nope.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Dretlin

Quote from: "Wondering"Is there a widely accepted atheist belief on creation?

No,and knowledge continues its march of progress as always.

Maybe look up secular humanism if you are interested in beliefs - as atheism is about distinguishing ones self from and not subscribing to a belief.

Kylyssa

Personally, I believe we don't yet know how everything started and that it's better to admit ignorance rather than to make something up.  

Saying that since we don't know how the universe began it must have been God's doing is almost the same as a person saying that since he doesn't know a computer works it must be magic.

As to whether or not there are any set atheist beliefs - no, the only set belief common to all atheists is an absence of belief in God.  I can see why religious people might think atheists all have a set of beliefs or a belief system in common.  It's likely because people with religious belief systems liken atheism with a religion and religions all come with voluminous teachings, holy books, and holy men.  This likely stems from the fact that it is popular among religious leaders to call atheism a religion, probably so they can group it with all the "false religions" (those that aren't identical to that particular person's beliefs) and proclaim it the work of evil forces.  But atheism is not a religion just like not believing in Zeus is not a religion.

You may as well ask what one brand of pants do all nudists prefer to wear as ask what beliefs (aside from the non-existence of God) all atheists share.

elliebean

Quote from: "Dretlin"atheism is about distinguishing ones self from and not subscribing to a belief.

....regarding gods, anyway. Plenty of atheists have beliefs in other things, just not in the existence of gods. I think most of us are also skeptics, though.

Just to clarify.  ;)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Dretlin

Quote from: "elliebean"
Quote from: "Dretlin"atheism is about distinguishing ones self from and not subscribing to a belief.

....regarding gods, anyway. Plenty of atheists have beliefs in other things, just not in the existence of gods. I think most of us are also skeptics, though.

Just to clarify.  :livelong:

Davin

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Personally, I believe we don't yet know how everything started and that it's better to admit ignorance rather than to make something up.  

Saying that since we don't know how the universe began it must have been God's doing is almost the same as a person saying that since he doesn't know a computer works it must be magic.

As to whether or not there are any set atheist beliefs - no, the only set belief common to all atheists is an absence of belief in God.  I can see why religious people might think atheists all have a set of beliefs or a belief system in common.  It's likely because people with religious belief systems liken atheism with a religion and religions all come with voluminous teachings, holy books, and holy men.  This likely stems from the fact that it is popular among religious leaders to call atheism a religion, probably so they can group it with all the "false religions" (those that aren't identical to that particular person's beliefs) and proclaim it the work of evil forces.  But atheism is not a religion just like not believing in Zeus is not a religion.

You may as well ask what one brand of pants do all nudists prefer to wear as ask what beliefs (aside from the non-existence of God) all atheists share.
I just think they don't see their side of the fence on the terms atheism/theism. If they assume that all atheists shared the same beliefs, then they should also assume that all theists share the same beliefs, and we all know with the vast array of theistic beliefs that that isn't true.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Albino_Raptor

"I belive" is an euphemism for "I don't know, and I am satisfied with that". To me, this is not acceptable a standpoint. That is the reason why, in no part of my life whatsoever, I am fine with "believing" in something. If I come across a topic important to me, I reasearch it until I have sufficent knowledge to understand it.

If I ever lose that drive, I hereby give every member of this board the written permission to come visit me and just frontal *FACE* me with a baseball bat without further explanation.
And GOD created the earth, covered with water by 70%, for man, who has no gills.

Tanker

To the OP no there is none each atheist decides for themselves what they believe and why.

Quote from: "Dretlin"as atheism is about distinguishing ones self from and not subscribing to a belief.

Going to have to disagree with you there.

a·the·ismâ€, â€,/ˈeɪθiˌɪzÉ™m/  Show Spelled[ey-thee-iz-uhm] â€"noun
1.the doctrine or belief that there is no god.
2.disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Dretlin

Quote from: "Tanker"To the OP no there is none each atheist decides for themselves what they believe and why.

Quote from: "Dretlin"as atheism is about distinguishing ones self from and not subscribing to a belief.

I have never quite felt that definition is applicable to Atheism. Belief of any kind is not something a factor into my Atheism. I much prefer your number 1 with a simple modification: The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

Logikos

Quote from: "Dretlin"The doctrine that there is no God or gods.
Wouldn't most modern atheists want to avoid making the positive assertion that there is no God?

Dretlin

Quote from: "Logikos"
Wouldn't most modern atheists want to avoid making the positive assertion that there is no God?

I am uncomfortable with the use of "disbelief". At this moment in time, for me, this seems too close to "denial".

elliebean

I avoid it only if there is a need to be very clear that my disbelief doesn't require a "leap of faith" or any other such assumption. It becomes important only when debating certain theists. Not that those ones usually listen.

I prefer to state it as a positive assertion in everyday conversation, but for me that's a matter of semantics; I agree with many atheists and agnostics that it can't be absolutely known, and the burden of proof lies with the positive claim (ie. existence) but it isn't my habit to make think or speak in absolutes. I'm more of a no nonsense, straightforward kinda gal. We don't generally discuss other topics in terms of absolutes because it gets us nowhere. People who insist on it make me crazy. I think of it this way; I know there is no god in the same way you know there is no toothfairy. I don't know of anyone who would, as some theists do in regards to god, indignantly balk at the statement "there is no toothfairy", suggesting that one would have to have personally scoured the entire universe and witnessed its absence for oneself to be certain of that claim.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

i_am_i

I would hope that most modern athiests would be perfectly comfortable with making the positive assertion that God is a human invention.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Tanker

Quote from: "Dretlin"
Quote from: "Tanker"To the OP no there is none each atheist decides for themselves what they believe and why.

I have never quite felt that definition is applicable to Atheism. Belief of any kind is not something a factor into my Atheism. I much prefer your number 1 with a simple modification: The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

First it's not my deffintion it's the dictionary's. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism

Second while you may not agree with the deffintion it is what it is, perhaps you are thinking of something else. You can use a word anyway you want but it doesnt change what the word actually means. Disagreeing doesn't change it.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.