News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What do you believe?

Started by Wondering, May 04, 2010, 05:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliebean

[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Davin

Quote from: "elliebean":catjuggle:
+1
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

dogsmycopilot

Quote from: "Wondering"Is there a widely accepted atheist belief on creation? I don't mean evolution,but rather a belief in how things started. Or is it just an "it was just there" type of thing?

I'm not trying to attack anybody, rather I'm honestly curious, so try to refrain from ignorant bashing please and thank you
Physics says we have something rather than nothing because nothing is unstable. Good enough.

Nikky

I also do not like the definition, "the belief that there is no god". This is the one I go by.....

Atheism is the acceptance that there is no credible scientific or factually reliable evidence for the existence of a god, gods or the supernatural.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Nikky"I also do not like the definition, "the belief that there is no god".
I prefer "A lack of a belief in god(s)"
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Nikky"I also do not like the definition, "the belief that there is no god". This is the one I go by.....

Atheism is the acceptance that there is no credible scientific or factually reliable evidence for the existence of a god, gods or the supernatural.

An excellent point, and a fair summation of my position.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Davin

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Nikky"I also do not like the definition, "the belief that there is no god". This is the one I go by.....

I would keep out the "or supernatural" part of the definition, but only because I like to keep the meaning as "not theism" and also because you can be an atheist and still believe in the supernatural, like Scientologists.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Davin"

I would keep out the "or supernatural" part of the definition, but only because I like to keep the meaning as "not theism" and also because you can be an atheist and still believe in the supernatural, like Scientologists.

Fair enough, and good point.  I accepted it because my atheism is based on my rationality -- such as it is.  :)
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Nikky

Quote from: "Davin"

Yea, that's a good point. I guess you can still be Atheist and believe in spirits or ghosts etc.

I had no idea that Scientologists were Atheist, not that I know much about that belief.

zerofivetwoseven

Quote from: "Wondering"Is there a widely accepted atheist belief on creation? I don't mean evolution,but rather a belief in how things started. Or is it just an "it was just there" type of thing?

I'm not trying to attack anybody, rather I'm honestly curious, so try to refrain from ignorant bashing please and thank you

This is what I believe - hope it is helpful.

The Universe came into existence via the Big Bang 13.72 billion years ago.

It was in a constant state of expansion from it's inception.

What precisely caused the Big Bang is unknown.

Time did not exist before that.

We cannot observe the Universe in it's entirety since we are on it's surface, which is akin to that of an expanding balloon.

What is outside the Universe is unknown.