News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

How can you Atheist claim to base your life on science?

Started by pj084527, May 03, 2010, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvargas

There are many different branches of Science dealing with different things that involves life on Earth and outside of the Planet Earth. None of the science are defining life but some are enriching life. No more time......

Tank

Quote from: "Whitney"Hey all, check the OP's history of posting then never coming back to respond...don't waste your energy unless you just like to hear yourself type.
Oh! Bugger! Well you never know who'll read this thread and learn from it  :)

EDIT. I sent him a PM pointing to my reply.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

philosoraptor

Quote from: "Tank"pj084527 still hasn't picked up his PM  :|

Color me not surprised, as that's usually how trolls operate.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Tank

Quote from: "philosoraptor"
Quote from: "Tank"pj084527 still hasn't picked up his PM  :|

Color me not surprised, as that's usually how trolls operate.

Unfortunately true.

Achaios

Quote from: "pj084527"The Atheist Richard Dawkins himself admits that scientific findings are continually in danger of being falsified and overturned by newer discoveries, just as certain aspects of Newtonian physics were proven incorrect by Einstein's discoveries.

Newtonian physics were repeatedly tested and proven useful for three CENTURIES. Then Einstein came along and introduced his theory, and suddenly certain portions of Newton's theories were proven wrong. There's very little scientific "truth" which cannot be overturned by newer research. Yet you base your eternal destiny and morals on "science"? Now who sounds silly?

I am replying just to argue, I see that the OP is probably having a hard time grasping the meaning of the term science so no thoughts on their part of checking back with us.
I cannot see how Newton law's were disproved by Einstein. My understanding is that Einstein introduced another variable to take account. That was a step forward imo. Anyways, I have the feeling that newton's laws apply to people outside religion so they not hold true for you..
You claim we base our morals on science.. So the only thing of keeping you away from theft, murder, child molestation, lying, road rage etc etc is god?
If that holds true then I would be really scared to get anywhere near you or your think-alike friends when a church or a bible is not within eye sight..

Dretlin

Quote from: "Albino_Raptor"Big words for someone believing in a religion that once stated the Earth is the center of the universe.

And was only recognized in 1992 (if your catholic).  :hmm:

Tank

pj picked up his PM so he has seen that there are serious discussions about his view taking place.

mama_ape

Quote from: "Achaios"
Quote from: "pj084527"The Atheist Richard Dawkins himself admits that scientific findings are continually in danger of being falsified and overturned by newer discoveries, just as certain aspects of Newtonian physics were proven incorrect by Einstein's discoveries.

Newtonian physics were repeatedly tested and proven useful for three CENTURIES. Then Einstein came along and introduced his theory, and suddenly certain portions of Newton's theories were proven wrong. There's very little scientific "truth" which cannot be overturned by newer research. Yet you base your eternal destiny and morals on "science"? Now who sounds silly?

I am replying just to argue, I see that the OP is probably having a hard time grasping the meaning of the term science so no thoughts on their part of checking back with us.
I cannot see how Newton law's were disproved by Einstein. My understanding is that Einstein introduced another variable to take account. That was a step forward imo. Anyways, I have the feeling that newton's laws apply to people outside religion so they not hold true for you..
You claim we base our morals on science.. So the only thing of keeping you away from theft, murder, child molestation, lying, road rage etc etc is god?
If that holds true then I would be really scared to get anywhere near you or your think-alike friends when a church or a bible is not within eye sight..

DITTO :hail:
So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

theTwiz

I know OP isn't gonna read this, I just felt like pointing out that he/she put an emphasis on how long Newtonian physics were considered correct before being proved wrong.  Because, you know, three centuries is such a long time for something to be considOH WAIT.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Tank

Looks like he realised his ideas were going to get a beating.

Maskeff

Whats wrong with being willing to reasses your moral views?

MehGuy

Oh sorry I guess I should listen to the Bible which has a worse track record than science today.

Plus what other options do we have? We've gotta know how these things work, not go by what some Man in the sky says.

MariaEvri

so... if we cant trust science.. is the earth still flat?
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

JillSwift

Quote from: "MariaEvri"so... if we cant trust science.. is the earth still flat?
Turns out it's kinda burrito shaped.
[size=50]Teleology]