Started by strikemedown, March 19, 2010, 01:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strikemedown

The best argument against Creationism/Intelligent Design is this;
Who made God?

kelltrill

Yea, but that's always countered with:

"So where did all the matter that exploded in the Big Bang come from?"

Which is, unfortunately, something no one quite knows yet (as far as I know. I willingly stand to be corrected..?).

I asked a teacher that question once just to be cocky and the natural response was, "God is infinite, he has always been there, he exists beyond our understanding of time and space" etc. There always seems a way to argue around the fact that some things we Just Don't Know.The origin of the universe or god is always a tricky path to navigate because we start wandering into the realms of things which aren't easily explained yet.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "kelltrill"Yea, but that's always countered with:

"So where did all the matter that exploded in the Big Bang come from?"

Which is, unfortunately, something no one quite knows yet (as far as I know. I willingly stand to be corrected..?).

I asked a teacher that question once just to be cocky and the natural response was, "God is infinite, he has always been there, he exists beyond our understanding of time and space" etc.
Well, when you're making shit up from the word Go, it's natural to keep it up. ;)
-Curio

elliebean

Quote from: "kelltrill"I asked a teacher that question once just to be cocky and the natural response was, "God is infinite, he has always been there, he exists beyond our understanding of time and space" etc. There always seems a way to argue around the fact that some things we Just Don't Know.The origin of the universe or god is always a tricky path to navigate because we start wandering into the realms of things which aren't easily explained yet.

But what observable difference is there between a universe created by such a god [infinite, always been there, exists beyond our understanding of time and space] and one that is itself infinite, always been there, and exists beyond our understanding of time and space, that we should be able to tell one from the other?
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

strikemedown

Well I guess I'll have to answer my own question (Who created God?).
I think it was some idiot who thought the world was flat and that the sky would fall on his head who came up with the whole God concept to explain the pimple that suddenly appeared on his bum. Just as plausible as all the other BS. Do they really teach this stuff in American schools? and isn't "intelligent design" the religios community's way of saying "alright we were wrong about creationism and Darwin was kind of right - but here's what really happened..............

pinkocommie

Quote from: "strikemedown"Well I guess I'll have to answer my own question (Who created God?).

Wait, your OP didn't seem like it was asking us the question, why would you think we would answer?  Who created God?  Oh, that was Ted from marketing...
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

strikemedown

pinkocommie

Quote from: "strikemedown"Does Ted do kids party's?

He's not a catholic priest if that's what you're asking.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

hvargas

Most scientists accept quantum mechanics and in it we find that something are produce out of  " NOTHING ", they just pot-up and them is gone. That is to say that the life-span of some particles/matters is very, very short. Again, the believe in a GOD by theist must be a GOD that is a more than just a BEING of INFINITE and all of the other attributes which humans can never even hope to acquire and cause of that its very difficult for anyone to define such a GOD. How can you imagine such a God as in what form, can't give it form cause you must firts have some kind of idea and definition. The invention of Jesus gave beleiver a close idea of GOD, so they will want to  claim, in JESUS, they had seem the Father. The question to asked the teacher is " how can anything come to existence minus SPACE " ?. In other words the first thing to exist is " SPACE " and all other existences will come later to occupied " SPACE ". In oder for you to exist, " SPACE " must be there first for you to occupied it. That so called GOD is not the creator of " SPACE ". From there you can go on as to the things that such a GOD did not created until you arrieved at the fact that no such a God exist. You can them spend your entire life arguing that.

happynewyear

Quote from: "hvargas"Most scientists accept quantum mechanics and in it we find that something are produce out of  " NOTHING ", they just pot-up and them is gone. That is to say that the life-span of some particles/matters is very, very short. Again, the believe in a GOD by theist must be a GOD that is a more than just a BEING of INFINITE and all of the other attributes which humans can never even hope to acquire and cause of that its very difficult for anyone to define such a GOD. How can you imagine such a God as in what form, can't give it form cause you must firts have some kind of idea and definition. The invention of Jesus gave beleiver a close idea of GOD, so they will want to  claim, in JESUS, they had seem the Father. The question to asked the teacher is " how can anything come to existence minus SPACE " ?. In other words the first thing to exist is " SPACE " and all other existences will come later to occupied " SPACE ". In oder for you to exist, " SPACE " must be there first for you to occupied it. That so called GOD is not the creator of " SPACE ". From there you can go on as to the things that such a GOD did not created until you arrieved at the fact that no such a God exist. You can them spend your entire life arguing that.

Have you not heard the expression "space is the body of god"?

elliebean

The trouble is, space that i called "god" (or the body of god) is indistinguishable from space that is called "space"; and a god that exists outside of space (and/or time) is indistinguishable from no god at all.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

skwurll

My favorite thing to do when presented with a religious nut is to quote Epicurus
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is impotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Whence then is evil?"

I used this against a girl in my English class, she knows I am atheist an has been trying to convert me to Christianity for the past couple weeks. She had no response other than "free will". :P
She's one of the sweetest and brightest girls I've ever met, I just wish she wasn't so blinded by religion. Really, it's a shame when you see someone that has been brainwashed into their parent's ideals.

But don't think I go around preaching atheism, because I don't, if people want their faith they can have it. Though I will give my opinion if asked.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "skwurll"My favorite thing to do when presented with a religious nut is to quote Epicurus
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is impotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Whence then is evil?"

I used this against a girl in my English class, she knows I am atheist an has been trying to convert me to Christianity for the past couple weeks. She had no response other than "free will". :brick:
-Curio

skwurll

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Unfortunately, in American culture, an atheist being openly atheist is pushing ideals upon others. A Christian being openly Christian is being American.  :brick:

Sadly true, but then again there's loads of hypocrisy when it comes to Christians.

hvargas

Time is a creation from an intelligent mind and is used as a measure of its own existence. After it has done that it them relates " TIME " to define its own surroudings. A probem that atheists are having is that they are too much involved and concerned with what theists hold to be their true. Time, will be the one that will reveal to all human existence just how wrong they had been just as it has been revealing through science many things that were impossible to humans just a century ago. There is no creation and no intelligent design, there are fossils records that state the contrary and more evidence are coming forward but theist ignore it  and wish it just go away. To contested they claimed that dating such records are not reliable, so they denied the evolution cause to accept it is to accept that God does not exis, and it will end the debate of Creationism/Intelligent Design. As of recent the church and other denominations have accepted evolution to some extend while maintaining their believe in a creator which to them will be the creator of evolution. Atheist have to end their debate with theist and concentrate on living while ignoring all theist cause not to do so leads them to ridicule. For you to be a good person you don't have to believe but once you become a believer you cease being a good person.