News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Define "Open Minded"

Started by Scrybe, March 27, 2007, 04:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrybe

I'd love to hear your opinions.  

When you implore someone to "Have an open mind." Do you mean anything other than, "Have an open mind to what I believe, and close it to what I don't believe."  

Do you consider yourself "open minded"?  

Do you find it a valuable character trait?  

Do you think there is ever a time to be less open minded?
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Whitney

I define it as willing to listen to the rationalization for another's viewpoint before shrugging it off just because it doesn't fit your views.  It's a valuable character trait because that is the only way to learn, plus people like those who are willing to listen.  The only time it seems appropriate to be less open minded is when you've heard the person's claim multiple times before and they either don't have a reason for that view or say the same thing you've heard time and time again.

Scrybe

So you would be willing to hear an argument for the existence of God if it were different than those you have heard before?

(This is not a trap.  I have no intention of preaching at you.)
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

SteveS

I agree - a willingness to listen, especially if it's something new.  I invited the Jehovah's Witnesses in to hear them out on biblical prophesy.  Neither of us agreed with the other but we parted on the friendliest of terms.

Whitney

Quote from: "Scrybe"So you would be willing to hear an argument for the existence of God if it were different than those you have heard before?

(This is not a trap.  I have no intention of preaching at you.)

Yes.  If I found it convincing I'd change my views.

User192021

To me, being "open minded" simply means that you are willing to listen to an opposing viewpoint as objectively as possible.  In a nutshell - giving a new idea a chance.  It does not mean believing everything you are told because you are an "open minded person."  Like someone once said (can't remember who), "Be open minded.  But not so open minded that your brain falls out."

Will

Open mindedness: the ability to overcome bias in order to objectively consider all options.

I'd consider it a positive.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tom62

I'm always willing to listen, but I can't always guarantee that I agree with what I've heard.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

McQ

Quote from: "Scrybe"I'd love to hear your opinions.  

When you implore someone to "Have an open mind." Do you mean anything other than, "Have an open mind to what I believe, and close it to what I don't believe."  

I don't agree with the phrasing of the question. I never implore anyone to have an open mind, simply because it has become such a convoluted definition, and people rarely define it the same way.

I am much more likely to suggest that people be fair-minded and rational. That's what I consider myself. Yes, it's a positive and valuable character trait. The only time I'll be less than rational or fair minded is when I catch you sleeping with my wife. Then you simply die. Afterwards, I'll consider the fairness of my actions.
 :wink:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

I like "fair-minded" better than open minded' it more directly gets across what I mean when I say open minded...I'll have to remember to use that.

Scrybe

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I like "fair-minded" better than open minded' it more directly gets across what I mean when I say open minded...I'll have to remember to use that.

Agreed.  Thanks for the good thought McQ.  And I'll be sure to steer clear of your wife!   :wink:

Scrybe

Quote from: "Willravel"Open mindedness: the ability to overcome bias in order to objectively consider all options.

I'd consider it a positive.

I really like this definition.  I'm wondering if anyone has some practical explanation for how one overcomes bias.  Does anyone have any examples from their own life?  The real issue I'm interested in is whether or not it is possible to overcome an existing bias without slipping into a new one.

tacoma_kyle

You overcome bias by being open minded, jeese! lol

Not really but when I am agruing with someone and I run into a bias of mine I just emplain it in general terms. This is why I like Toyota better than Chevy...bla bla bla its personal preferance based on this info.

I dont know, there is nothing wrong with being bias unless your spewing false info. For the most part bias' just seem to be opinions which there is nothing wrong with. It may be dumb, but its still opinion.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Naked4Jesus

Quote from: "Scrybe"I'd love to hear your opinions.  

Just to get the necessary blatantly open observation out of the way here, if I close my mind to any other way of thinking to focus soley on your way of thinking am I really having an open mind?   I'm being empathetic but damn, that's not necessarily open.  I'd have to lie if I said I would (I don't like having to lie) since once I said sure, I'm just seeing things your way I'd still be making my judgments and even though I'd try to rationalize what you said (I'm really am a sympathetic fellow) I'd still default to my judgemental nature.  

Yes, I'm gonna hear you out but no I may not agree at all.

janafeir

I think being open minded for me is  50% listening  30% questioning 20% Chewing it over. Determining whether a point has been made that might put a new spin on things that I previously believed. Now this is not always the case after all I am human and though I would like to say I am always open minded, the truth is that sometimes I might change my percentages depending on the situation, morals and ethics. Or sometimes I am just a hard head  and when I eventually sit down and get the time to think over points that have been made they may or may not change mind as to how I am going proceed.