News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Define "Open Minded"

Started by Scrybe, March 27, 2007, 04:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirteen31

Quote from: "Scrybe"I'd love to hear your opinions.  

When you implore someone to "Have an open mind." Do you mean anything other than, "Have an open mind to what I believe, and close it to what I don't believe."
'Open mind' to me is to be open to hearing other perspectives. An 'open mind' does not necessarily mean that I will choose to agree with the other perspective.

Quote from: "Scrybe"Do you consider yourself "open minded"?
I believe I am, but I am open to listening to someone else's views on that! :D

Quote from: "Scrybe"Do you find it a valuable character trait?
I believe it is. I am open to listening to other perspectives, but it is difficult to empathize with another's perspective if they are close-minded and adamant that I should follow.

Quote from: "Scrybe"Do you think there is ever a time to be less open minded?
No, open-mindedness is respecting others' ideas, feelings or opinions; is there ever a time to be less respectful?

Asmodean

Willing to explore more than one side of things even when that one side is seemingly much more appealing and to base one's conclusion on the view from all or at least multiple sides.

Sounds a bit tangled, I guess, but that's the very short version of my opinion.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Brock

Open-Minded simply put means you understand were someone is coming from without being rude or un-understanding. Aristotle said it best 'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

DennisK

Quote from: "Brock"Open-Minded simply put means you understand were someone is coming from without being rude or un-understanding. Aristotle said it best 'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Great quote!  I doubt many of us can truly say we entertain thoughts outside our comfort zone, though.  The need to be correct usually trumps any urge to be "open" and it is difficult to shed bias on most subjects.

I would define open mindedness as being willing to give what I have to say your utmost attention and respect, usually resulting in your views altered more toward mine.  That's just plain logic. :D
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

McQ

Quote from: "DennisK"
Quote from: "Brock"Open-Minded simply put means you understand were someone is coming from without being rude or un-understanding. Aristotle said it best 'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Great quote!  I doubt many of us can truly say we entertain thoughts outside our comfort zone, though.  The need to be correct usually trumps any urge to be "open" and it is difficult to shed bias on most subjects.

I would define open mindedness as being willing to give what I have to say your utmost attention and respect, usually resulting in your views altered more toward mine.  That's just plain logic. :D  :hail:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Wechtlein Uns

I suppose in attending anything, what we are influences how we will judge it, understand it, or if we will accept it. And that in turn influences what we will become.

Note, I don't say "determine". There's always some amount of flexibility that only we alone have control over. A part of ourselves that is not predetermined, and thus enables us to affect ourselves based on what "we" want to be, and not what we "are".

Right? :shock:
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

thirteen31

Open-minded is willing to consider and accept other's ideas and opinions.

rlrose328

At the risk of repeating something someone has already said (because I just don't want to take the time to read it all right now... sorry)... I'm frustrated how Christians call me closed-minded because I don't instantly believe and/or agree with everything they say.

I posted on Facebook a link to a story about the Duggar family (the ones with 18 kids) and stated that I think they are irresponsible for overpopulating and having their older children be assigned to raising the younger ones and how teaching their children using the bible is irresponsible because they don't include facts.  Someone I know here locally posted that it's strange how those who CLAIM to be openminded and tolerate really aren't.

Were I TRULY closed minded and intolerant, I'd be trying to pass laws banning homeschooling and having more than, say, 4 children... which I'm not.  Can't say the same for the Christians, who banned marriage for those with whom they don't agree.

I'm just sayin'... open-minded and tolerant don't mean you have to take as fact everything that everyone else believes. It may mean you have to just deal with it if you DO disagree.  But making laws against what you don't agree with IS closed-minded and intolerant because you actively want to make sure no one can do what you disagree with.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Sophus

It's really just paying attention and considering/contemplating what is being said without wanting to believe (or cling to) a certain belief.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

thirteen31

Quote from: "rlrose328"I'm just sayin'... open-minded and tolerant don't mean you have to take as fact everything that everyone else believes.
Exactly, just because one says it is so, doesn't mean it is so. Right? But then, if two people were to say it were so and one disagrees, would it then be labelled as popular belief because the majority says it is so?  :hmm:

Wechtlein Uns

I often choose the opinion that is not mainstream first. Then I investigate the mainstream, and see what fits. Usually, when I'm going to investigate something, but am pressured to make an early choice, I choose the one that's not popular. Why? I still have a twinge of egoism inside me.  ;)
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.