News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

God is love

Started by katiebam, March 11, 2010, 02:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evolved

Quote from: "katiebam"i believe that God is the creator and i would like to hear your side about why you are so against this logic. :idea:

Hi Katiebam,

If you have read some of the links that were posted in response, you'll notice that the study of logic dictates that the burden of proof lies on the positive, not the negative.  In other words, it is illogical to prove the negative.

If you want atheists to believe that god exists, then it is up to you to prove it, using a sound, rational argument.
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

Whitney

Quote from: "katiebam"first, i am a girl, no man. second, i am no youngster. third, i am not tyler hence the name katie... and fourth, i dont appreciate being called a drama queen.  :brick: my class asignment is over and i am doing this for myself now. i really truly hope this isnt coming accross as inimical in any way. i really mean no harm. god told me to love all. i love atheists and i feel like i have a true reason to be talking to yall. so please accept me.

Do you want to have a serious discussion or do you want to complain about me explaining to someone else why you were banned after I was kind enough to give you a second chance (which isn't always done here)? If you want to be respected you're going to have to earn it because you lost it before.

happynewyear

Katiebam,

Which "God" are you referring to?
What is your definition of "love".

Kylyssa

Oh, cool, so God isn't a magical anthropomorphic super-being, it's a combination of brain chemicals and nurturing instincts.  Sweet!

Then what's with this God created the universe woo?  Warm-blooded nurturing critters came well after the earth came into existence so there was really no love until then.

dogsmycopilot

Quote from: "katiebam"Hello all, i feel extreme remorse for my recent behavior. I would like to say that..... i'm baaaaaccccckkkkk   :idea:
Science simply doesn't support the extraordinary claim that god exists. If it did, I still would not worship or love him, which is a separate fact you theists seem to often forget. Does he exist is separate from why should I worship him.

mama_ape

I don't believe it to be logic for the same reasons you think it is...that's what makes sense to you and that is what you have accepted to be truth.  I don't believe there is some being that created us all and needs our worship and respect because that's what makes sense to me and that is what I have accepted to be true.  I like hearing arguments about science proving God doesn't exist but when it comes down to it half of the time what I hear scientists say makes no sense to me so anyway I just have to go with what I know is true, not what science tells me is true and not what religion tells me is true....
I like the hobo pic on the Athiest image dump thread, "God is a sock" :drool
So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

fdesilva

God is love means that the Christian message is.

1. Give Love the first place.(Love, Love above everything else)
2. Love your neighbour at least as much as you love yourself

Whitney

Quote from: "fdesilva"God is love means that the Christian message is.

1. Give Love the first place.(Love, Love above everything else)
2. Love your neighbour at least as much as you love yourself

Ya, the Christian message is a lot nicer when the Bible is left out of it  ;)

pinkocommie

I still prefer "god is a sock".  Makes the same amount of sense.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

noquarter

God is love emotionally speaking relative to our concept of love and hate.
Forgive them for they know not what they do

i_am_i

Quote from: "noquarter"God is love emotionally speaking relative to our concept of love and hate.

I have several emotionally speaking relatives. They all live in Iowa.
Call me J

Sapere aude

happynewyear

Quote from: "noquarter"God is love emotionally speaking relative to our concept of love and hate.

What do you mean by love?
Is it sexual love?
or the love of a parent for a child?
or the love of an owner for a pet?
What do you mean by love and what do you mean by god?(jehovah,allah,zeus,dionysis or maybe thor?)

fdesilva

Quote from: "pinkocommie"I still prefer "god is a sock".  Makes the same amount of sense.
Is there anything in your life that takes priority above everything else? Maybe that keeps changing from day to day. If there is such a thing in your life and let’s say it is x then maybe you should say god is x. Or is x in fact your socks? :)

fdesilva

Quote from: "happynewyear"

What do you mean by love?
Is it sexual love?
or the love of a parent for a child?
or the love of an owner for a pet?
What do you mean by love and what do you mean by god?(jehovah,allah,zeus,dionysis or maybe thor?)
Quote from: "happynewyear"What do you mean by love?

That is the big question we take for granted or we think we know the answer,  do we really? Love is expressed in many ways and is present in all of the above however what is it?

Sophus

Quote from: "fdesilva"
Quote from: "pinkocommie"I still prefer "god is a sock".  Makes the same amount of sense.
Is there anything in your life that takes priority above everything else? Maybe that keeps changing from day to day. If there is such a thing in your life and let’s say it is x then maybe you should say god is x. Or is x in fact your socks? :)
I don't think reasonably anything can take priority over one's life itself. Through life all other priorities become possible. This is why (and I don't know if feel this way) loving god above life doesn't make any sense to me.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver