News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

dealing with evangastic christians

Started by future_wiccan, March 25, 2007, 10:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrybe

Quote from: "Johndigger"your parent has a right and a duty to guide you in what she thinks is best for her. So I will not fault her there. But at the end of the day, it's your choice.

I think this is the crux of the matter.  As a minor, you are under your parent's authority and you are their responsibility.  I know nothing in the world is more enraging for an adolescent.  I think the true mark of maturity on your part would be to submit to that authority until you are legally free of it.  Unless you are being abused in some way.  Which it doesn't sound like.  After all, what are your parents asking you to do?  Go to church?  So what?  Go to church.  They obviously can't force you to believe something you don't.  You can be honest and say you don't believe it, but you accept their authority and will do what they ask.  Is that so hard?

The advice would be the same if you were converting to Christianity and your parents were Wiccan.  The mature thing to do would be to politly disagree, (or just be quite about it.) and do their... whatever it is Wiccans do.  

Whatever your parents are doing, it is probably based on love and concern for you.  They may be wrong, but you can't fault their motives.

Of course, your parents may be horrible, horrible people, but I'll bet you that if they are one of those 9 out of 10 parents out there who actually love their kids, they would respond well to you if you said the following rather than pulling the typical teenage bullshit attitude of superiority.  

"Mom and Dad.  I know you love me and are concerned about my soul.  I recognize that raising a child must be difficult and frightening.  I don't want to scare you, or upset you.  But I'm considering other religions that I know you disapprove of.  However, I'm willing to submit to your authority and listen to whatever information you might have concerning this topic because I respect the fact that you care for me and are doing your best to raise me.  I will go to church with you.  I will keep an open mind to everything."

Now honestly, what parent would react badly to that?  If for no other reason than pure pragmatism, you can do it this way to avoid lots of pain and frustration on both your parts.

EDIT:  Oops.  I didn't see the last 2 pages.  So with the information about your brother physically abusing you, I would just add that to the list of things you are telling your parents.  That sort of thing should never be tolerated.  And if your parents do tolerate it, then they are truly worthy of your emotional uncoupling.  (Though I always encourage never burning bridges if you don't absolutely have to.)  Otherwise, my surly-ignored advice stays the same.
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

future_wiccan

They know about joel, they yell at him when it happens but that is it. my mom figured out and says satan influenced me away from god adn into a dangerous lifestyle. these are her words "It even says in teh bible that demons will do whatever they have to to take you from god adn this is proof that God IS real" im so sick of her actign liek im gonna believe somethign from the bible just liek that. she WANTS me to be a christian and its not happening, it frustrates her bcause she wants me to stay away from ths stuff adn im staying at its side. she is gonna move the PC downstairs in the family room adn we cant go on unless she is here to watch everything we do. Im not allowed to talk abotu Wicca, Im not allowed to read about Wicca, adn most of all Im not allowed to be part of Wicca. she says im lyign to myself when i say its adn earthbased religions because thats what teh demons want to happen. srry for all the typos. I used tohave that in mind scrybe but she shoot me down in teh middle of a sentance and told em that she is NOT giving upa dn that i MUSt be a christian.
This wil probably be my last post. cause the comp will probably be goign down stairs tonight.
My decision is final, Im gettign teh hell out of this state as soon as i can, I am not gonna ignore my religion for 4 years because she says it is wrong. I cant get this off of my mind and it is seriously affecting my grades, i havent done anythign in atleast a month, I just sit around and think about this. When i say i have things on my mind she says "wel...get them off of your mind because at this age nothign shoudl eb more imortant than school"