News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

dealing with evangastic christians

Started by future_wiccan, March 25, 2007, 10:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

future_wiccan

Yeah right, Christians dont have a correct view on Wiccans. Im pretty sure they think Wicca is a thing of Satan.(Thats what i was taught.)

future_wiccan

Apology accepted. (srry bout the double post)

Johndigger

I agree, with Will. ;)

JD

future_wiccan

alright here is from the top of my head
1.go to the church till I move out
2.tell a pastor
3.talk to my parents by myself
...doesnt look like i have much options

Johndigger

Well, remember those 3 sections and be split up and delivered in many different ways, so you do have quite a lot of choice, really.

Also, on somewhat of a sidenote, are you getting into Wicca because you believe it, or is it more of a rebellion thing?

JD

future_wiccan

I believe it, if it was rebellion than i would have been rubbign it in their faces.

Johndigger

What makes you believe it? Have you had experiences or such? (Not attacking, just simply interested)

JD

future_wiccan

Yes I have, but I didnt come here to discuss that.

SteveS

Hi future_wiccan, ouch, this sounds tricky.  Well, for my own part, I have to admit that there were numerous things I did or thought that I didn't share with my parents, and I strongly suspect the same will be true of my own children.  I hope nobody thinks I'm a total wuss for suggesting this, but why not ride it out, go to church, and just "keep faith" (haha, coming from an atheist!) with your own beliefs in your own mind?  There will be plenty of time to move more formally away from the fold when you are older.  At 14 you are still going to be involved heavily with your family, right?  And besides, nobody can really make you change a thought that exists inside of your own mind, nor can they really tell what thoughts are inside your own mind.

I have a small experience related to this -- I was a boy scout growing up, and attained the rank of eagle.  Our troop was (luckily) very secular, and I was only asked about my religious beliefs once.  I responded that I received my religious instruction at home (which isn't really a total lie, and nobody point blank asked me if I believed in any gods).  Fact is, I loved scouting, I loved the camping and high adventure, and I wasn't going to sacrifice it just because some bigot would throw me out for what I thought was a ridiculous reason.  Maybe this is less than noble, but hey, now I'm 35, I don't owe anything to anyone, and I can be very outspoken.  I could just never be a boy scout leader, and now I get to say "their loss" instead of "my loss".

Sincerely,
Steve

future_wiccan

Says the dude with a beer avatar, youd be an awesome scout leader! nah im kidding teh avy doesnt mean anything, but thanks for sharing that with us.

Johndigger

Interestingly. If you believe in Wicca, why not Christianity? If you believe in "supernatural powers" "out there."

Apologies if I'm getting too personal, but I came on this forum to find out about people's beliefs and their reasons. So here I am. ;)

JD

donkeyhoty

Disregard what any pastor, or your parents might have to say about your new beliefs.   The pastor might be there to "help", but your beliefs are now "wrong" to him as well as your parents.  "Helping" would involve bringing you back into the flock.

If your parents don't eventually accept your new beliefs(whatever they may be), and pardon my language on this one, "Fuck 'em."  If they are so blinded by faith that they would alienate their own child then they are not worthy of your time, or anyone's for that matter.  

This is your life, with "your" being the key word.  You must live it in a way that will make you happy, not to make someone else happy.  Good luck.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Johndigger

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"If your parents don't eventually accept your new beliefs(whatever they may be), and pardon my language on this one, "Fuck 'em."

Now, there's some bad advice if ever there was any. Sure, they should accept their beliefs, you're their son. However, if they don't, that is no reason to completely "Fuck 'em" as donkey not-so-eloquently puts it.

Beliefs aside - parents can be the best people to turn to at many times in your life. They can support you in many many ways.

JD

future_wiccan

not when every suggestion they make is based on a religion i dont believe in.
"If you believe in Wicca, why not Christianity? If you believe in "supernatural powers" "out there." " Wicca is a religion of the earth. Have you ever looked at spells? its not really personal powers, im not gonna start fires with my mind.

Johndigger

They're your parents, man. It'll be sad if this breaks you guys up. :(

JD