News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Penn & Teller: BS!

Started by Ihateyoumike, February 24, 2009, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skepticbjj

I love their show and find as entertainers they do an awesome job keeping the show entertaining even if I might happen to disagree.  (not often). I love how candid and open Penn is about his opinions and even makes fun of himself regularly.  If you like the show you might like his blog 'Penn Says' on crackle.   http://crackle.com/Members/2336040
Yes I'm atheist and no I don't hate theist OR think they are dumb....well most at least  :)

kelltrill

I enjoy most of their shows and similarly agree with them most of the time. I do find that Penn's style of presenting can get a bit much at times. Sometimes he just seems unnecessarily angry and obnoxious about things and doesn't seem interested in leaving any room for other opinions. Granted, this isn't with all the episodes and, for at least some of the part, makes the show quite watchable. I also find that the way the clips of interviewed people are edited and compiled is extremely biased, naturally in Penn & Teller's favour, so I watch their show lightheartedly rather than in actual earnest. Overall, it's a very entertaining show. I'm glad there are at least some people out there who are capable of publicly showing up some of the worlds absurdities.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

LoneMateria

Quote from: "kelltrill"I enjoy most of their shows and similarly agree with them most of the time. I do find that Penn's style of presenting can get a bit much at times. Sometimes he just seems unnecessarily angry and obnoxious about things and doesn't seem interested in leaving any room for other opinions. Granted, this isn't with all the episodes and, for at least some of the part, makes the show quite watchable. I also find that the way the clips of interviewed people are edited and compiled is extremely biased, naturally in Penn & Teller's favour, so I watch their show lightheartedly rather than in actual earnest. Overall, it's a very entertaining show. I'm glad there are at least some people out there who are capable of publicly showing up some of the worlds absurdities.

Yeah Penn can come off that way.  I don't know if he's passionate about it or what.  But as for leaving no room for opinion, I don't think thats by design.  The show is only 30 min long so he has to fit all sorts of research, arguments and counter arguments into a tiny time frame.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Kylyssa

I adore Penn & Teller.  I need to convince a roommate to get them on netflix or something because I seriously miss that show.