News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

New here... confessions of a Catholic School Girl

Started by Julsgirl17, March 06, 2007, 03:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julsgirl17

I'm 14 years old and i've been to a catholic school since 3rd grade.  The older I became, the more I began to think for myself and realise, around 7th grade, that I was being fed alot of propaganda.  It had to be a big secret, because people would stop talking to me if they knew, all of my classmates being devout, brainwashed, loyal catholics.  The public school system in my area is pretty horrible, so I went to a Catholic high school.  Everyday, i'd challenge my theology teacher, but then give up to keep my beiefs a secret.  Finally, someone was pushing too hard, and it "slipped out".  My teachers lost all respect for me, and my theology teaher claimed I was doing it "for attention".  This January, I transfered out of the catholic school, into my public school, thinking I wouldn't be as hated.  Someone was asking me why I switched, and if I missed the religious aspects of my old school, so I told the truth, not realizing that I lived in the most religious and Red county in my blue state.  Now i'm bothered by people every day.  They say things like "You sit in your chair like that because you're an atheist" and "you got that grade because you're an atheist".  I once suggested to one of them that they should pray to Jesus to get a grade as good as mine, and the next day, the stupid teasing stopped.  Someone in a different class, different then the one where I was asked about my beliefs, asked me if the rumors were true.  While wondering why people didn't have anything better to talk about, I confirmed it.  He made a comment about taking out back and knocking some sense into me.  I let it go, but today, I found a note in my locker saying that I shold repent and beg forgivness, or when they came to kill me, I wouldn't go to Heaven.  This prompted me to find others, and make sure I wasn't the only Godless person around.
In the future, Atheists will win a landmark court battle making it illegal to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes. Insted the law will require us to say "Yo zippy, you just sprayed me with some nasty."

Whitney

Welcome to the forum.  First of all, if I were you I'd report that note to the principle's office first thing tomorrow morning...that's just scary and it's best not to just assume it was a mean joke.  (I don't mean to scare you, just want you to be safe).  Congratulations on being able to think for yourself, unfortunately doing so can come along with unwanted backlash from others...I'm not really sure how to handle that part; I was already in college by the time I realized religion is brainwashing and am surrounded by classmates who don't seem to care much about religion.  Good luck and don't let the other kids get to you, they are just afraid because you don't fit their cookie cutter expectations.

User192021

Welcome to the forum Julsgirl17.  Snapping out of the religious brainwashing trance at the age of 14 is impressive - especially in a Catholic school.  I didn't abandon my faith until I was 22.  Like laetusatheos said, unfourtunately, thinking for yourself can come at a high cost.  I live in a mostly Catholic area, Buffalo, NY, but no one really seems to care too much about religion.  Nothing like parts of the south and midwest.  It's definitly a shame you're getting this much backlash for being intelligent.  The only advice I can give you is to stick it out and know that you're not alone.  Try not to let the fundies get to you too much.

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum Julsgirl17.  

Be safe, and remember:  Just because someone asks you a question doesn't mean you have to answer them.  Discretion is your right.

donkeyhoty

First of all, welcome and congratulations on your disbelief of magical forces.  (I wish I could travel a few hundred years into the future to see the harry potter books forming the basis for a religion)

Secondly, doesn't your area have any good non-sectarian private schools?  I live in a heavily catholic area(fortunately its also heavily aging) and it has several non-sectarian private high schools(including one of the best in the country, whatever that means, its like saying my shit has one of the most pleasant odors in the country).  

And third, everyone in high school is a loser.  There is no such thing as a cool high school student.  Eventually you will graduate and never see any of the people at your school again, unless you go into the mini-mart at the gas station rather than paying at the pump.  Then you can ask them if god has gotten them promoted to assistant manager yet.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

MrE2Me

Man, high school was enough of a pain in the ass without religion factoring into it...I can't imagine how much worse it must be to have to deal with that extra level of pressure and bias.  I second laetusatheos's suggestion to mention the threatening note to some authority figure at your school.  Unfortunately, this type of response is the price many people have to pay for being strong and independent enough to think outside of the prescribed box.  I can't commend you enough for your decision and your wisdom, especially at such an early age.  Don't be a stranger!
[size=92]I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts[/size]

McQ

OK, I'll fess up, but don't tell me I'm the only one who got this initial impression:

Did anyone else blink twice and raise an eyebrow when they saw the title of this thread?

Of course, now that I've read it and know what it's about, I'm fine, but c'mon, who else did a double-take? It sounds like the title of a XXX movie!

:oops:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

User192021

Quote from: "McQ"OK, I'll fess up, but don't tell me I'm the only one who got this initial impression:

Did anyone else blink twice and raise an eyebrow when they saw the title of this thread?

Of course, now that I've read it and know what it's about, I'm fine, but c'mon, who else did a double-take? It sounds like the title of a XXX movie!

:oops:
I did the same thing.

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "McQ"It sounds like the title of a XXX movie!
Only us depraved, degenerate atheists like watching women dress up as school girls and partake in debauchery.  Or maybe, that's just me (I doubt it).
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

User192021

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"
Quote from: "McQ"It sounds like the title of a XXX movie!
Only us depraved, degenerate atheists like watching women dress up as school girls and partake in debauchery.  Or maybe, that's just me (I doubt it).

You're right, it is just us.....

Catholics prefer little boys.    HAYOOOOO!!

SteveS

LOL to the above!!!!  That was a low blow User192021, but much deserved!  I salute you.

Hello Julsgirl17.  I'm confirming the above opinions that a note that mentions killing should be brought to the attention of an authority.  Isn't it nice how the followers of gentle Jesus treat someone who simply holds a different opinion?

Your experience is shocking to me.  I went to a public high school and at many times was openly sarcastic and disrespectful of established religion.  I got a lot of blank looks, but no hostility.  These people have definitely crossed a line.  Personally, I think behaviour like this would constitute a hate crime if it were regarding anything other than religion (like race or sex for example).

On a positive note, seeing the behaviour of these bigots has to make you feel you're on the right road to a higher mind....

MrE2Me

Quote from: "SteveS"Personally, I think behaviour like this would constitute a hate crime if it were regarding anything other than religion (like race or sex for example).
Good point, it's yet another area where religion gets a free pass.
[size=92]I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts[/size]

Julsgirl17

Yeah, I have a feeling that if it were a Catholic getting the note, it would become some primetime special about standing up for what you believe in.  I live in Dennis Hastert's distric (funny as I used to live in Pelosi's) and my school is one of the Top 10 worst in the state for test scores.  So my choice was a horrible education, but I wouldn't have to pray after the pledge.  I had no clue that it would get this bad though.  I think it's really sad when the only decent schools around are religious.  It felt amazing to read your comments and support.  Monday morning is going to be a lot easier just because I know i'm not alone now. Thanks so much!

P.S. I must confess that's what I was going for with the title... hey, it got your attention, didn't it?
In the future, Atheists will win a landmark court battle making it illegal to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes. Insted the law will require us to say "Yo zippy, you just sprayed me with some nasty."

McQ

Quote from: "Julsgirl17"Yeah, I have a feeling that if it were a Catholic getting the note, it would become some primetime special about standing up for what you believe in.  I live in Dennis Hastert's distric (funny as I used to live in Pelosi's) and my school is one of the Top 10 worst in the state for test scores.  So my choice was a horrible education, but I wouldn't have to pray after the pledge.  I had no clue that it would get this bad though.  I think it's really sad when the only decent schools around are religious.  It felt amazing to read your comments and support.  Monday morning is going to be a lot easier just because I know i'm not alone now. Thanks so much!

P.S. I must confess that's what I was going for with the title... hey, it got your attention, didn't it?

Way to go, Julsgirl17! And keep plugging away. Don't let the bastards get you down!

(can I say 'bastards' in here, to a 14 year old?)

:lol:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Quote from: "McQ"(can I say 'bastards' in here, to a 14 year old?)

:lol:

lol; I'm sure by 14 every cuss word is already memorized.