News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

New here... confessions of a Catholic School Girl

Started by Julsgirl17, March 06, 2007, 03:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "McQ"(can I say 'bastards' in here, to a 14 year old?)

:lol:

lol; I'm sure by 14 every cuss word is already memorized.

Yeah, I suppose so (sigh). Just being a dad, I guess. That's better than being the skeezy old guy who jumped when he saw the title of this thread!   :lol:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

Lol, McQ, I've learned a very hard lesson --- when you hear your 3 y.o. echo back something you've just said, it drives home why swearing in front of your children is a really, really bad idea  :oops:

McQ

Quote from: "SteveS"Lol, McQ, I've learned a very hard lesson --- when you hear your 3 y.o. echo back something you've just said, it drives home why swearing in front of your children is a really, really bad idea  :oops:

The best curses my kids heard growing up came from my wife (who probably has only used them twice in her whole life!). She was parked in a spot on River Street, in Savannah, GA and a semi truck sideswiped her on the driver's side. She and my four boys were all in the car waiting for me to come back to the car from making a hotel reservation. While I stood at the front desk, I turned to see my wife, fours boys in tow, holding the shattered side view mirror of our car in her hand. Crying.

She told me what happened, and I checked that no one was hurt. As we gathered our wits, called for the police (hit and run....the bastard didn't stop, he just slowed down and then gunned it), I walked everyone back outside to look at the car. On the way out, my wife told me that she might have let a couple of choice words slip, especially when she saw the truck driver take off.

Later, in the hotel room, I was just checking on the boys again, when one of them said, "Dad, you should've heard what mom said!"

With that, the 10 year old chimed in to say, "Yeah, I don't know what it meant, but it sounded dirty!"

I later found out that my children learned, on that sunny September morning, the words, shit, bastard, asshole, and yes.......fucking asshole from my mild mannered, otherwise gentle-as-a-lamb, wife.

I understand that a Navy frigate cruising down the river had to ask her to keep it down, because she was embarrassing the sailors on board.  :lol:

P.S.: They already knew shit and bastard from me, but I wasn't going to tell my wife that!
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

Good story!

Quote from: "McQ"P.S.: They already knew shit and bastard from me, but I wasn't going to tell my wife that!

Solidarity, brother!

In my case I had no excuse, my wife never uses the word (yup, the F bomb).  I plead guilty and went straight to sentencing....

MommaSquid

IMAO, women curse out of frustration.

Why do men curse?

In case you're wondering; no, I didn't learn any new words here today.   :)

McQ

Quote from: "MommaSquid"IMAO, women curse out of frustration.

Why do men curse?

In case you're wondering; no, I didn't learn any new words here today.   :shock: You???

I'm not exactly sure why we curse, but I'll bet money it has something to do with how cool or badass we think it makes us appear.  :lol:

And, MommaSquid on a more serious note, I just read something else you wrote.... :cry:

...and I want to echo the words, "Here’s hoping for a series of fortunate events."
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

Quote from: "MommaSquid"Why do men curse?
For me, too much time spent in hockey rinks and locker rooms growing up.  Also, since the refs ignored you unless you swore, I figured they were the only words they understood?  :wink:

Tom62

I curse when I'm frustrated about something or when I'm really, really angry about something. My PC at home has become truly evil now after receiving so many of my curses :evil: . The funny thing is that curses are something that you pickup very early, when you are learning a new language. My repertoire of english, dutch, french and german curses is now quite extensive :wink: . Some foreign curses are works of "beauty" when you translate them back in your mother-tongue (like "Oh, bordel, putain de merde" or "Krijg de vliegende kankertering"). It is also interesting to notice the cultural differences. For example the Dutch don't have any curses which address human excrements or sexual intercourse, so they think it is quite normal to use words like "sh#t" and "fu#k in public.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

McQ

Quote from: "Tom62"

I curse when I'm frustrated about something or when I'm really, really angry about something. My PC at home has become truly evil now after receiving so many of my curses :evil: . The funny thing is that curses are something that you pickup very early, when you are learning a new language. My repertoire of english, dutch, french and german curses is now quite extensive :wink: . Some foreign curses are works of "beauty" when you translate them back in your mother-tongue (like "Oh, bordel, putain de merde" or "Krijg de vliegende kankertering"). It is also interesting to notice the cultural differences. For example the Dutch don't have any curses which address human excrements or sexual intercourse, so they think it is quite normal to use words like "sh#t" and "fu#k in public.

I didn't know that about the Dutch. Damn I like the Dutch more and more all the time!
--Penn Jillette

doubter5

Sorry to hear about your situation... You can read about others who have have stories to tell much like yours..

Check 'em out at:
http://www.positiveatheism.org/mail/eml8361.htm
and: http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/why_become.html

Also check out my Atheism 101 vids at my site: http://www.digitalfreethought.com
(see the VidLinks Button on the right)
They might give you more help in your defense of Atheism.

Hang in there!
Doubter5

Big Mac

I curse because it's funny and people go "Oh my, I'm telling your parole officer" and I'm like "Yeah, whatever, you're gay, bitch." And I use my ninja-pirate powers to act all mature but I really have a large penis. Would you like to see?

Sorry, haven't been on in a while.

Welcome aboard. I used to receive all kinds of death threats from people. It's best to report them.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

MattC

Welcome Julsgirl17 and hello to everyone!  Juls, you've willingly become a member of a minority--but it's a huge, happy, intelligent, moral, and supportive minority.  The internet is a great place to find friends and learn, but don't give up yet on your local peers!  Let us know how things are going, and I look forward to reading your posts.

Oh, I just noticed that I'm jumping in a week late on this.  Oh well!

Scrybe

That is a crazy story!  Where I went to high school you would have been the most popular.  Us Christian kids were the ones getting picked on and insulted.  (But never threats of violence!)  I suppose living in Seattle I see a very different dominant culture.  I lived in Oklahoma for a couple of months, and couldn't stand it.  

But anyway, yeah, what those guys said…. Ignore the idiots.  (Except report the threats.)  Don't worry about popularity.  Once you reach college a good percentage of the morons will have been weeded out.  I'm sorry you are going through this harassment.
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes