News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Is God Intelligent?

Started by joeactor, November 05, 2009, 04:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Quote from: "LARA"I'll have to find a way to check out Black Adder, joeactor.

Season 2 is the best, closely followed by Season 1 and Season 3 (skip 4 in my opinion)

Glad you're able to post!

zandurian

Quote from: "ragarth"If the universe is nondeterministic, then we can change the past. So we can indeed go back in time, save Lincoln from assasination, and get our face plastered in the history books.

As I understand it matter is in constant motion giving the illusion of time, and there is technically no past or future - only a  constant present where the spatial features of all matter constantly vary. Since we can observe and measure those variations we perceive it as the 'passing' of time.  

Obviously we all perceive time and space in slightly different (or in vastly different) ways. I'm fascinated to no end with physics and the concepts involved - these are just my random childhood musings on the subject.  :idea:

Quote from: "ragarth"Since god is assumed to be all knowing about the past and future, and if the universe is deterministic, then there's no room for the 'discovery' of additional knowledge allowing for the manipulation of events towards a known future, god cannot deviate one iota for a predetermined path- Just as two objects impacting each other at given speeds and given angles cannot deviate from the strictures if basic physics
That may be why we exist - to experience the contrasts which cannot be experienced in an omniscient state. Undiluted God-ness would not experience thoughts or intelligence in the way we do in our present form (obviously).

Quote from: "ragarth"If the universe is nondeterministic, then we must ask about the method by which the universe is nondeterministic: Is it quantum fluctuation? is it branching universes? Does god generate the nondeterminism itself using fine manipulation of the soul? Depending on the answer, god can be either an entity possessing free will, or an unintelligent force of nature.
Yikes! Gotta' think about that one. I would say the general concept of an omnipresent/omniscient/omnipotent God would leave no room for a nondeterministic universe. Agreed?