News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Why are religions useful?

Started by Trilly&Truly, November 07, 2009, 05:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trilly&Truly

So I just started my new job working at GAP, and my manager asked me if I can work on Sundays. Now I really hate working on weekends, especially in the mornings because I love to sleep in and just relax. I told her no, and that I have church on Sundays. She said, "Oh ok, sweet." Yep, it was that simple.

Does anyone else find religion to come in handy sometimes?

Whitney

Hmm, I'm not sure if I can think of anything else it may be useful for....other than if you have a certain view for religious purposes it is generally considered taboo to challenge it.

Oddly enough, I do go to church one Sunday a month; but we have an oddity called the North Texas Church of Freethought here....so it's not "church" church.  I catch myself telling people about doing something 'at church' then later realizing they probably thought I meant the Christian kind.  I did this the other day and right afterwords was talking about how I don't like religion....I'm almost sure my friend was confused but didn't feel comfortable asking; or he knows what I was talking about and that's why he didn't ask for clarification; I would have asked me why I don't like religion yet go to church.

Will

How are religions useful? As I understand it, there are several working theories by well respected scientists that religion has become either a survival trait unto itself or as a byproduct of some other survival trait. There are certain aspects present in religionâ€"obedience, cooperation, communityâ€"that have in the past been imperative to our perseverance in the face of overwhelming adversity. That being said, I don't find that religion is generally useful either on a personal level or on a societal level anymore. Other than the white lies of the kind you mentioned, it's quite often a hurdle to progress, something to be cast aside like everything else humans and our ancestors have had to leave behind on our slow trek forward into new phases of development. It's a vestige of a bygone time.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

LoneMateria

Trilly&Truly your story reminds me of one I read from "The Atheist Camel Chronicles" in which the writer was forced to use a Christian company to get a certain item (I don't remember what anymore) because no one else made it.  He placed the order (and paid) and after waiting 2 months (I believe) and calling them numerous times he had enough.  He called them up (for the last time) and asked where his part was and they told him they were still manufacturing it ... he then took this opportunity to throw a "Jesus Gesture" their way ... something along the lines lies of, "I understand and Jesus will take care of me and may he bless you." ... All of a sudden the girl who he was talking to had him hold for a minute and then magically they had what he needed and they shipped it out that day.  Sometimes religion can be a tool to get peoples ass in gear.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

jrosebud

I know it was useful in the parenting scene for my folks.  "God is watching you" was enough to terrify me into obedience quite often.
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Renegnicat

It's useful for pissing people off. For example, I was chilling in the seminary one day when a priest in training was talking to his friends about his doubts about being a priest. He wanted a family, but he also loved god very much, and was uncertain how to balance devotion to a wife and devotion to a god.

I step in and say something along the lines of, "You need to let your love of god be shown as a reflection of your love for your wife. Treat her well and with reverence, and god will know all the more how much you love him, and will be pleased." Well, the guys were silent for a bit. They knew I was an atheist; I often debated in their faces and pissed them off many times. So it was quite hilarious.

"How come he gets it?!" Shouted the priest in training, and then stormed off.

Priceless. :cool:
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

April

For days off.  My DH gets paid time off for Christmas (2 days) and for Good Friday.

April

Quote from: "Renegnicat"It's useful for pissing people off. For example, I was chilling in the seminary one day when a priest in training was talking to his friends about his doubts about being a priest. He wanted a family, but he also loved god very much, and was uncertain how to balance devotion to a wife and devotion to a god.

I step in and say something along the lines of, "You need to let your love of god be shown as a reflection of your love for your wife. Treat her well and with reverence, and god will know all the more how much you love him, and will be pleased." Well, the guys were silent for a bit. They knew I was an atheist; I often debated in their faces and pissed them off many times. So it was quite hilarious.

"How come he gets it?!" Shouted the priest in training, and then stormed off.

Priceless. :cool:
That is hilarious!

Renegnicat

[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

April

I have another reason why.  The first group that I opened (I am an Aflac agent) was a company called Mother of Our Savior. They supplied Catholic churches with candles, movies, pamphlets, rosaries, ect.  I made some money off of them and they would not exist without religion :D

Renegnicat

April, that is very sad. You were helping them, not taking advantage of them. Yet, think how they would feel if they could hear you speaking this way. It is not very helpful, if you know what I mean.