News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Life

Started by SSY, October 20, 2009, 05:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSY

For those of us lucky enough to live in the green and pleasant land known as England, I am sure we have been enjoying the new David Attenborough documentary, but for our trans-Atlantic cousins I thought I would point it out.It is a new series detailing some of the challenges in life faced by modern animals, featuring amazing camera work, esoteric examples and of course, superb narration. I am not sure if you yanks can get it on iplayer (the bbc online service), but it will eventually turn up elsewhere I am sure, or you could use a proxy server perhaps?

N.B. the shows are only on iplayer 10 days after broadcast, so make sure you watch them sooner rather than later.

While we're here, has anyone caught these already? What did we think?

Episode 1 (might want to watch this one first for reasons of deletion)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... s_of_Life/

Episode 2
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... mphibians/
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

AlP

Well I'm British and I'm horribly frustrated that I can't watch David Attenborough. I grew up with his documentaries. No access from the US =(. Looking for proxies is miserable work. I'll wait for youtube =). Or maybe hulu, who knows?
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Ultima22689

Not to derail the topic but has anyone else found Dr. Who to be pretty much televised crack? I get excited over reruns even.

Ninteen45

Now I can be re-gognizod!

Whitney

It says I have to be in the UK to watch the video.

Ultima22689

Yes, sadly enough, the BBC doesn't like us  :(

Is it because we hit them and moved out?

SSY

Can you use proxy servers or VPN networks?

I share your pain, Hulu does not let me get my fix of TV crack, the injustice of it all.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it

Ultima22689

Perhaps, actually you probably can, i'm too lazy to set up proxies though, networking puts me to sleep, ironically i'm quite good at it. *stares at black cap sitting on computer, resists putting it on*

Why do they do that? I want to get my BBC crack, you should be able to get your Hulu crack.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "SSY"For those of us lucky enough to live in the green and pleasant land known as England, I am sure we have been enjoying the new David Attenborough documentary, but for our trans-Atlantic cousins I thought I would point it out.It is a new series detailing some of the challenges in life faced by modern animals, featuring amazing camera work, esoteric examples and of course, superb narration.

Hubby recently downloaded an episode of Life (possibly the first episode) and it was amazing.  Breathtaking shots of plants, animals and landscape.  The crew went through many hardships to get the footage but I think it was worth it.  As long as I'm not the one freezing my arse off to get shots of penguins, I'm happy to watch.

SSY

Quote from: "Ultima22689"Perhaps, actually you probably can, i'm too lazy to set up proxies though, networking puts me to sleep, ironically i'm quite good at it. *stares at black cap sitting on computer, resists putting it on*

Why do they do that? I want to get my BBC crack, you should be able to get your Hulu crack.

Well, you don't get BBC because you don't have a TV license, but Hulu can still advertise to me, so they lose nothing by showing it to me, maybe there are copyright problems, Pandora radio was robbed from me in a similar way.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "SSY"
Quote from: "Ultima22689"Perhaps, actually you probably can, i'm too lazy to set up proxies though, networking puts me to sleep, ironically i'm quite good at it. *stares at black cap sitting on computer, resists putting it on*

Well, you don't get BBC because you don't have a TV license, but Hulu can still advertise to me, so they lose nothing by showing it to me, maybe there are copyright problems, Pandora radio was robbed from me in a similar way.

Well that's a shame, always comes back to money, well human society is becoming less and less tribal every day and more towards a global society so maybe we will be able to enjoy X culture and X show all we want in a couple of decades, well at least I can still shoot Doctor Who up my veins.

Will

Planet Earth is the gem of my HD collection. I positively adore each of the eleven episodes. Is this the same as that?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

So, is it not possible to get BBC in the US at all?  I swore there use to be a BBC channel here.

SSY

Quote from: "Will"Planet Earth is the gem of my HD collection. I positively adore each of the eleven episodes. Is this the same as that?

Similar vein, I look forward to every Monday now, I would even say it surpassed all his previous documentaries, including the blue planet, which up until now had been my favorite.

Also, I think there is a bbc channel available in the states, but not iplayer, I am sure it will come to torrents etc eventually, either TV recordings or DVD rips.

SSY

Just noticed this has now made it to torrent sites, link provided for our nationally challenged cousins over the pond.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5478017/Life_BBC_Earth_[BluRay_1080p_x264]

And in glorious blu-ray as well, enjoy your 61 gig download.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5224889 ... _720p_h264

Less insane sized download, only 15, still made of hd goodness.

Edit, I just found out, the largest time my ETA tracker in uTorrent will display is 2 years, more than that and it gives up.