News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

A Buddhist Critique on Christianity

Started by fishkitten, January 29, 2007, 07:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishkitten

http://www.uq.net.au/slsoc/bsq/budchr0.htm#cont

I found this very interesting.  It's a Buddhist's critique on the Christian religion.  It's very informative.  I never realized how much the Christian religion kind of condemns itself in its own book.
"I look at God behind his desk, taking notes on a pad, but God's got this all wrong. We are not special. We are not crap or trash, either. We just are. We just are, and what happens just happens. And God says, "No, that's not right." Yeah. Well. Whatever. You can't teach God anything." -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club, Chapter 30

Tom62

Thanks for this very interesting link. I enjoyed reading the Buddhist's critique.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

donkeyhoty

While buddhism is a "better" religion than the abrahamic tree, it's still a religion with all the requisite "magic".

Although, I'd rather have more buddhists than christians around.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Faylen

It was a fascinating read.  Nice to see that atheists aren't the only ones who see the inconsistencies in the Bible.

I wouldn't mind even fundamentalist buddhists - they're not going to try to convert you at every turn, because you're supposed to find it out all by yourself over a series of lifetimes.  Just don't make us wear the robes.

McQ

Quote from: "Faylen"It was a fascinating read.  Nice to see that atheists aren't the only ones who see the inconsistencies in the Bible.

I wouldn't mind even fundamentalist buddhists - they're not going to try to convert you at every turn, because you're supposed to find it out all by yourself over a series of lifetimes.  Just don't make us wear the robes.

Hey, I already have the haircut. Can I join?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MrE2Me

Very interesting stuff.  Thanks for the link!

Why Create?

Christians claim that God is perfect, that he is complete in every way, but if God really did create the universe this would prove that he was not perfect. Let us examine why. Before God created the universe there was nothing - no sun, no earth, no people, no good or evil, no pain - nothing but God who was, according to Christians, perfect. So if God was perfect and nothing but perfection existed, what motivated God to create the universe and thus bring imperfection into being? Was it because he was bored and wanted something to do? Was it because he was lonely and wanted someone to pray to him?

Christians will say that God created everything because of his love of man, but this is impossible. God could not love humans before he created them any more than a woman could love her children before she had conceived them. God's need to create indicates that he was dissatisfied in some way and therefore not perfect. Christians might then say that God created spontaneously and without need or desire. However this would mean that the whole universe came into being without purpose or forethought and therefore it would mean that God was not a loving creator.

I've never thought of it that way before.  There are just so many valid, logical arguments against what's written in the Bible...gotta love it.
[size=92]I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts[/size]

noname

MrE2Me, if god is perfect atheist has nothing to argue about. That is the reason why he is imperfect and created imperfect creations.

Hi I am new. I am not exactly an atheist but a pro atheist.

User192021

This won't load for me, anyone got a better link?  I'm very interested to read this.

Simoli

If god were perfect why would he create atheists, people who don't believe he exists?

User192021

Now it's loading.  Just read most of this - the author brings up some very interesting points, especially when he disects the bible.  Pretty familiar stuff, but never hurts to build ammo against the fundies (like it's not easy enough already).

I agree with most atheist sentiments on this subject (big shock, right?).  While Buddhism appears to be more sensible and certainly contains more noble teachings than other religions, it does still maintain a very magical view of the world (reincarnation, karma, etc..) that just can't be supported by verifiable evidence.