News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Not Sure What To Do...

Started by Chimera, November 03, 2009, 05:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimera

Okay, so...

I live in Washington state, and one of the big issues on the ballot this year is Referendum 71, a measure to uphold the domestic partnership law signed by the governor last year. The law guarantees equal rights for gay couples and seniors in committed relationships. It's gotten a lot of publicity and some are calling it our state's "Prop 4". Voting to approve the measure keeps the law on the books, rejecting it obviously gets rid of the law.

A couple of days ago, I was driving by a church and saw a "Reject Ref 71" sign on its front lawn. I was disgusted at this, not just because I'm for Ref 71 but also the whole separation of church and state issue. The next morning, the sign was gone and I went on my merry way.

Well, on my way to school this morning I passed by one of the more liberal churches and they had a sign on their readerboard that said "Approve Ref 71". I realize that they are violating the church and state issue as well--and I'd like to write a letter to the pastor of the church about it, while also letting them know that I am on their side when it comes to matters of equality.

What do you think? Should I, as a concerned citizen, send a letter? Or should I just let it slide? People were up in arms about the Mormon church and people like Rick Warren getting involved in the fight over Prop 4, but you never heard about the churches who were on the other side. Thoughts?
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Will

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I did: during the Prop 8 nightmare here in California, I confronted pastors directly, to their faces, and explained about how I have no qualms reporting them to the IRS for violating the terms of their tax exempt status. That status is keeping a lot of churches financially afloat in the short term right now, so even though in reality me writing the IRS wouldn't do anything, taking a chance at having to pay taxes on the money they swindle from people is a massive threat. This is particularly bold, so it's not a stratagem for everyone, but I found it had a very high success rate. It's also completely legal.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

LoneMateria

Brilliant Will ... F'in brilliant.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Chimera

That's a bit stronger stand than I planned to take, haha. I might include some of it in my letter though.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Whitney

I like Will's idea :)

I don't think this is a church state issue since that is more about the government and it not establishing a religion nor preventing the practice of a religion....but, as will pointed out, it is tax fraud.

Make a sign that says "it's okay to commit tax fraud if god is on your side" and have an arrow pointing to the church's sign

Chimera

Thanks, I just did a little research and found the IRS publication for churches. I'm glad I have you all to learn this stuff from!

Big Mac

If you feel it is wrong for one church to do something but okay for another church to do the exact same thing because they agree with you then doesn't that mean you have no right to complain about the first church doing it? Free speech is a two way street. If something is not allowed by law, it shouldn't be overlooked when it's someone that you agree with. That just makes you corrupt and lack honor.

Just my two cents. I am far from perfect and I do bias things as well. It builds character to be fair even when you know you don't want to.

Churches are for spiritual growth, not political views. Remember, Jesus said to render onto Caesar what is Caesar's and render onto God what is God's. I think he meant more than just tax money on that.  A deity would not care for human politics.

That's the kind of argument I'd use if I wrote a letter to them.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Chimera

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I was all pissed about the first church and their sign to reject the referendum, and when I saw the second church supporting it I thought, "Yay! But...that's not right either." Right now I'm trying to decide whether I should even get involved and let the church know that what they did was wrong, even though I agreed with their position, or not bother.

Or maybe I should just sit back and laugh at how people who come from the same religion have such diametrically opposing viewpoints.