News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Should I care about the person's race I date?

Started by Ultima22689, October 07, 2009, 01:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARA

The idea that a mixed race person would be more likely to have a genetically caused mental disorder makes no sense biologically.  The less closely related the individuals are, the less likely their offspring are going to get two copies of the same recessive gene and the more likely the offspring are to be healthy.  So please allow yourself to bask in your own genetic superiority for a moment!!! :P  ;)

As far as any craziness, I imagine that just being a mixed person in our culture with it's stupid stereotypes is aggravating in and of itself; finding a place to fit in culturally and dealing with the attitudes on both sides does not sound easy.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Ultima22689

Quote from: "LARA"The idea that a mixed race person would be more likely to have a genetically caused mental disorder makes no sense biologically.  The less closely related the individuals are, the less likely their offspring are going to get two copies of the same recessive gene and the more likely the offspring are to be healthy.  So please allow yourself to bask in your own genetic superiority for a moment!!! :P  ;)

As far as any craziness, I imagine that just being a mixed person in our culture with it's stupid stereotypes is aggravating in and of itself; finding a place to fit in culturally and dealing with the attitudes on both sides does not sound easy.

I see makes sense. Growing up looking of questionable heritage is as you said no walk in the park. From 2nd to 8th grade I used to get beat up every day because the all black school thought I was white so they would antagonize and beat me every day. When I came down here to the south, I think the word south speaks for itself. It's frustrating because are always screaming about race trying to tell me what I am then I come home and my mom begins comparing to my Uncle Pat who does indeed identify as white and telling me to be loyal to being black, etc, etc. Gets tiresome to know there are so many stupid people out there.

Renegnicat

[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

andrewclunn

Quote from: "LARA"The idea that a mixed race person would be more likely to have a genetically caused mental disorder makes no sense biologically.  The less closely related the individuals are, the less likely their offspring are going to get two copies of the same recessive gene and the more likely the offspring are to be healthy.  So please allow yourself to bask in your own genetic superiority for a moment!!! :P  :brick:
I am a spam bot that passed the Turing test by imitating a 13 year old playing Halo.  Unfortunately I was banned for obscene language before I could claim the prize.

Renegnicat

silly question:

Would a big black man fit inside a tiny asian woman? If they were in love, that would cause some issues, yes?
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Renegnicat"silly question:

Would a big black man fit inside a tiny asian woman? If they were in love, that would cause some issues, yes?

Well excuse my french but I happen to have the piece of a big black man and I've made love to a tiny Asian woman before and it wasn't much of an issue but she noticed some minor stretching, worse come to worse you will just end up with a slightly larger vagina.

Renegnicat

Ah. I envy you.

But the reason for my question was a comment made by a chinese woman to a reporter that, "anatomically, we do not fit", you know what I mean. But thanks for clearing that up, anyway.

Ultima22689

Well some women probably want the wang to fit more comfortably than others and for some that means filling every bit of her pleasure cave and for others they want their to be some space in there and others don't like the flesh torpedo reaching all the way back while others do, it's a matter of preference, i've even heard the argument that an Asian woman is very likely to end up impregnated by a black man because he can reach so incredibly far back that he is very likely to reach the cervix and even in some cases penetrate it even though it's unlikely still.

LARA

QuoteAndrew wrote:

Ummm assuming that the mental disorder is caused by a recessive and not a dominant trait (as many genetic defects are) then you'd just be doubling up. Besides the likelihood of dual defective recessive traits drops off so dramatically once you date farther out than your own cousins that it's not even worth mentioning/ This is just pro-mixed marriage propaganda and it's just as much bullshit as the genetic purity crap that the other side throws out. Why must people constantly trade one form of self delusion for another?  

Yes, you are correct as long as you aren't boinking your sister or cousin, you're pretty safe.  But you can still get two copies of a detrimental gene even if you aren't, and this is why people who are known carriers of a lethal or damaging recessive trait will have genetic testing done with their mates.  I don't think the parents of a healthy child due to genetic testing would consider this fact not worth mentioning.

Because of lethal or damaging recessive traits, it is a general rule that genetic diversity is a good thing within a species.  This is not self delusion. In the case of a good or desirable recessive trait, sure having two copies is great, but if you have to bang a relative to get it, well then, you are just playing with fire because of the risks involved with other recessives.   Also, location, location, location.  What is an undesirable trait in one environment can be a positive trait in another area. So to even suggest that there is such a thing as genetic superiority, one has got to be joking :D. Also the whole subject in recessives in biology is confusing because genetics isn't always a black and white, recessive and dominant area.  It is complex.

Yes, he could still have a disorder caused by a single allele, but it wouldn't be because of his mixed heritage.  The whole viewpoint that's the problem is the idea that because of the mixed racial background he has a genetic mental disorder.  Which is wrong.

(Note: I edited this post for more clarity)
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

andrewclunn

I agree with everything you say until this point:
Quote from: "LARA"Also, location, location, location.  What is an undesirable trait in one environment can be a positive trait in another area. So to even suggest that there is such a thing as genetic superiority, one has got to be joking :D. Also the whole subject in recessives in biology is confusing because genetics is simply not a black and white recessive and dominant area.  It is complex.

Yes, he could still have a disorder caused by a single allele, but it wouldn't be because of his mixed heritage.  The whole viewpoint that's the problem is the idea that because of the mixed racial background he has a genetic mental disorder.  Which is wrong.

Two things.  First, some traits are just bad traits to have regardless (harlequin babies for example.)  So there certainly are some combinations that are superior / inferior.  Though something like skin tone would of course be relative to the latitude (or more specifically the amount and intensity of sunlight) of your environment.  Second, not all of these 'damaging' traits are recessive, so that if two people with two different dominant harmful traits have children, then they could have a child with both those traits.  Overall though genetic diversity is a good thing, it's just that assuming that because genetic diversity within a species is good means that people should marry outside their race, is a non-sequitur, which is one of the two points I was trying to make in my earlier post.
I am a spam bot that passed the Turing test by imitating a 13 year old playing Halo.  Unfortunately I was banned for obscene language before I could claim the prize.

Ultima22689

I agree with Andrew, i've come to the conclusion that you should go with who you like and not focus on genetics too much  barring you both have family members with some sort of horrible disease then i'd be worried other wise the traits are so arbitrary it isn't all that big a deal although it is somewhat interesting how so many mixed people have popped up as celebrates in the past decade or so.

LARA

Dammit Andrew, you quoted me before I had that fully edited   :D .

1. I never said that people should marry outside their race. Your argument with other people who say and believe you should marry another race is not my problem.  I don't care what race people pick.  It's their choice.

2. Maybe you didn't read this the first time?  I wrote, yes, he could still have a disorder caused by a single allele, (as in the examples you pointed out) but it wouldn't be because of his mixed heritage.  
   The whole viewpoint that's the  problem is the idea that because of the mixed racial background he has a genetic mental disorder.

3. Just because I said a detrimental trait in one environment can be a positive trait in another doesn't mean I don't know that some genes can kill or disable people. If it kills you it isn't about inferiority,
   you're just dead and that's it.  If it disables you, you still aren't inferior; for a small example look at the new company that hires autistics to do coding changes because they simply are better at it.
   Organisms adapt and use other skills when one is disabled.  Sometimes a genetic difference can cause a small problem now that protects against disease later on.  Inferior and superior are subjective
   terms that don't have any application if we are going to seriously talk about biology.  Inferior and superior are opinions.  Environment does matter in survival and environment can change,
   sometimes rapidly.

andrewclunn

LARA,

1. Okay, so we're agreed here.  People should marry based on things other than race.

2. Except that hybridization can result in the loss of advantageous traits deigned for a specific environment.  Of course this is predicated on:

3. Yes some things are just superior / inferior.  There's no environment where it's a good thing to have down syndrome for example.  I know it offends "equality dogma" to say that, but I'm not one of those people who really cares what's socially acceptable.

LARA

QuoteLARA,

1. Okay, so we're agreed here. People should marry based on things other than race.

2. Except that hybridization can result in the loss of advantageous traits deigned for a specific environment. Of course this is predicated on:

3. Yes some things are just superior / inferior. There's no environment where it's a good thing to have down syndrome for example. I know it offends "equality dogma" to say that, but I'm not one of those people who really cares what's socially acceptable.

Andrew,

1. YAY!  Consensus!
2.  Hybridization refers to species.  A species is defined as a group of organisms that can interbreed to produce fertile offspring.  Sometimes different species can reproduce, but their offspring can't.  We are just talking race.  It's not in the same ballpark as a species.
3. Point taken.  I try, and generally fail, to be socially acceptable.  I think the world is better off for my effort.