News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

A community fit for me

Started by grandiose, October 05, 2009, 02:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandiose

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum.

I was just so sick of having so many religious myriads, that thinks that everything in their saviour's name is the RIGHT way... Though I have lived with a religious family in a christian community, I became an atheist on my own. I believe religion is nothing but fallacies that can never give a concrete fact. Hopefully, I might feel a little better being part of a community like this.

I have had lots of arguments with numbskulls claiming that I need "guidance". It pissed me off as I never did anything wrong nor committed a crime in the state of being an atheist.

They said that ATHEISM are just a bunch of non-believers....but I doubt that. We DO 'believe' in something.....and that is that God doesn't exist.
Atheism. Because reality is awesome.

Whitney

Hi, welcome to the forum :)
Quote from: "grandiose"They said that ATHEISM are just a bunch of non-believers....but I doubt that. We DO 'believe' in something.....and that is that God doesn't exist.
Actually, there is no agreement that atheist means positive belief in the non-existence of god.  Dawkins claims to be a 6 on his own scale; making him a defacto atheist. But atheists do believe in lots of things....god just isn't one of them.

Quote1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
   2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
   3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
   4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
   5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
   6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
   7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.
http://christophersisk.com/dawkins-belief-scale-images/

LoneMateria

Welcome to the forum ^_^ hopefully you will enjoy being around some like minded people.

Oh and Dawkins claims he is a 6.9 on his own scale lol.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Whitney

Quote from: "LoneMateria"Oh and Dawkins claims he is a 6.9 on his own scale lol.

are you sure?

QuoteOn a scale of 1 to 7, where 1 is certitude that God exists and 7 is certitude that God does not exist, Dawkins rates himself a 6: "I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
http://www.futureofthebook.org/mitchell ... elief.html

I'd have to go scan through the book to double check.

andrewclunn

He's right.  Dawkins is very tongue in cheek about that.  Actually it's something of a point of contention as he is clearly 'nearly' endorsing irrational extremism beca... you know what.  The welcome forum isn't the place for that line of talk.  He there grandiose!  Welcome!
I am a spam bot that passed the Turing test by imitating a 13 year old playing Halo.  Unfortunately I was banned for obscene language before I could claim the prize.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Whitney"are you sure?

Yes.  The other day I was looking for his video from the Bill Maher show or the Colbert Report (I don't remember anymore) anyway he was on one of these shows talking about his, then new, book "The God Delusion" and he was asked about the scale.  He said on the scale he would be a 6.9.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.

Whitney

Quote from: "LoneMateria"
Quote from: "Whitney"are you sure?

Yes.  The other day I was looking for his video from the Bill Maher show or the Colbert Report (I don't remember anymore) anyway he was on one of these shows talking about his, then new, book "The God Delusion" and he was asked about the scale.  He said on the scale he would be a 6.9.

Hmm...very odd...it's really not one of those scales where point something makes any sense.

Anyway...my main point was that not all atheists hold a belief that god doesn't exist....it's somewhat of a semantics issue but I think it's important to make the distinction since to claim to know a god doesn't exist can be philosophically problematic.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Whitney"Anyway...my main point was that not all atheists hold a belief that god doesn't exist....it's somewhat of a semantics issue but I think it's important to make the distinction since to claim to know a god doesn't exist can be philosophically problematic.

We are in agreement ^_^.  I think most of the atheists here fall into the agnostic atheists, although we can't know for sure there are no gods we reject the claim that there is at least one god until evidence is presented to contradict that claim.

nikkmichalski

Quote from: "LoneMateria"Welcome to the forum ^_^ hopefully you will enjoy being around some like minded people.

Oh and Dawkins claims he is a 6.9 on his own scale :upset:
                                         roflol
Ford: "It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
Arthur: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford: "You ask a glass of water." -- Douglas Adams, H2G2
"'Why is it you never mentioned any of this before the plane crash?'...'I didn't think the time was ripe.' " [emphasis delightfully Vonnegut's] -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-5

karadan

Quote from: "nikkmichalski"
Quote from: "LoneMateria"Welcome to the forum ^_^ hopefully you will enjoy being around some like minded people.

roflol   roflol
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

nikkmichalski

Aww man! I've never seen the "worships Joe Pesci" ranking before. That's awesome. Can this forum possibly be any better?
"'Why is it you never mentioned any of this before the plane crash?'...'I didn't think the time was ripe.' " [emphasis delightfully Vonnegut's] -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-5

Renegnicat

Well, there could be absynthe.  :headbang:
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

Chimera

Welcome to the forum from another ex-Christian. There are lots of us here, you should fit right in! :)
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

nikkmichalski

Quote from: "Renegnicat"Well, there could be absynthe.  :headbang:
I like the way you think.

Ellainix

Quote from: "nikkmichalski"

roflol

That's not a contradiction.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.