News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Kentucky Students Forecefully Baptized

Started by curiosityandthecat, September 08, 2009, 03:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

:upset:  :upset:  :upset:  :upset:

Here's a good reason to stay the hell out of Kentucky (as if you needed another one).

QuoteLOUISVILLE â€" A mother is angry about a trip led by the head football coach at Breckinridge County High School. The coach took about 20 players on a school bus late last month to his church, where nearly half of them â€" including her son â€" were baptized.

Michelle Ammons said her 16-year-old son was baptized without her knowledge and consent, and she is upset that a public school bus was used to take players to a church service â€" and that the school district's superintendent was there and did not object.

"Nobody should push their faith on anybody else," said Ammons, whose son, Robert Coffey, said Coach Scott Mooney told him and other players that the Aug. 26 outing would include only a motivational speaker and a free steak dinner.

http://bit.ly/bu27L

Forgive my language, but WHAT THE FUCK.
-Curio

Ultima22689

This is why religion is dangerous, it might not be dangerous on it's own but when religion becomes massive like Christianity and Islam is stupid yet self righteous people believe in it and do stupid crap like this. This sort of thing sickens me and I would sue someone into the ground if that happened to my kid. (if I had one anyway)

What is this world coming to? Why is it so hard for people to recognize how unspecial and dangerous their religion is?

Will

We should develop an unbaptism ceremony for people new to atheism. It would be a nice way to celebrate the end of a person's journey to free-thinking and to piss off people like those mentioned in the OP.

Maybe what we can do is have someone get their head wet, and then dry it off with a towel that has the scarlet A on it? Then we can have cake. Or we can have someone read the silly parts of his or her religious text. Then we can have cake. Or we can have friends and family each say a short statement about how proud we are or how we also made it. Then we can have cake.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Will"We should develop an unbaptism ceremony for people new to atheism. It would be a nice way to celebrate the end of a person's journey to free-thinking and to piss off people like those mentioned in the OP.

Maybe what we can do is have someone get their head wet, and then dry it off with a towel that has the scarlet A on it? Then we can have cake. Or we can have someone read the silly parts of his or her religious text. Then we can have cake. Or we can have friends and family each say a short statement about how proud we are or how we also made it. Then we can have cake.

This would be win. I wish I had an Atheist family, they're all hardcore bible thumpers. Ironically enough, i'm the only one going to college, go figure.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Will"Then we can have cake.
(Obligatory) The cake is a lie.
-Curio

andrewclunn

Quote from: "Ultima22689"This is why religion is dangerous, it might not be dangerous on it's own but when religion becomes massive like Christianity and Islam is stupid yet self righteous people believe in it and do stupid crap like this. This sort of thing sickens me and I would sue someone into the ground if that happened to my kid. (if I had one anyway)

What is this world coming to? Why is it so hard for people to recognize how unspecial and dangerous their religion is?

More like this is the problem with public education.  Whatever ideology the teacher has, they feel that passing it on to their students is an added gift that they can give.  So thanks to public education, religion (like herpes) becomes the 'gift' that keeps on giving.

[youtube:2d20e6lc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUASiDg-kg4[/youtube:2d20e6lc]
I am a spam bot that passed the Turing test by imitating a 13 year old playing Halo.  Unfortunately I was banned for obscene language before I could claim the prize.

Ultima22689

Heh, nice, I love me some Pink Floyd, oddly enough I only actually listened to Pink Floyd a week ago and i've been jamming ever since.

Reginus

Quote from: "Will"We should develop an unbaptism ceremony for people new to atheism. It would be a nice way to celebrate the end of a person's journey to free-thinking and to piss off people like those mentioned in the OP.

Nice, that's actualy a really cool idea.  ;)

But yeah, it would definitly piss off A LOT of people.
"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

andrewclunn

Quote from: "Reginus"

Nice, that's actualy a really cool idea.  ;)

But yeah, it would definitly piss off A LOT of people.

Yeah, we'd have to keep it nice
[youtube:yhscl3ex]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wubIeiLs0qM[/youtube:yhscl3ex]

If we did something like this that would not be very "Happy Atheist"
[youtube:yhscl3ex]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRNpUFcP39g[/youtube:yhscl3ex]
I am a spam bot that passed the Turing test by imitating a 13 year old playing Halo.  Unfortunately I was banned for obscene language before I could claim the prize.

skurry

I am actually all for the USA splitting in half, Red States and Blue States. Blue just needs the bridge along the north side of the US to complete the separation... Let me think further about this and create a new post regarding it.

andrewclunn

Quote from: "skurry"I am actually all for the USA splitting in half, Red States and Blue States. Blue just needs the bridge along the north side of the US to complete the separation... Let me think further about this and create a new post regarding it.

Dude, if you do that, I'm going red state, and I wouldn't be the only atheist to do it.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "andrewclunn"
Quote from: "skurry"I am actually all for the USA splitting in half, Red States and Blue States. Blue just needs the bridge along the north side of the US to complete the separation... Let me think further about this and create a new post regarding it.

Dude, if you do that, I'm going red state, and I wouldn't be the only atheist to do it.

lol yeah you and 6 others j/k.  Why the north?  Its too damn cold.  I <3 my Florida weather, even with the occasional hurricane ^_^.  I'll take hurricanes over snowstorms any day.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

skurry

The bridge to connect the blue states would be in the north, blue still has California and such.

Andrew, I don't care which side you pick, but you have to admit the Red is very much religious and are the ones responsible for the craziness. I'm not an ultra-Dem, I vote Republican many times if I like their views and points. I consider myself individual, but I think that America is split and there is nothing that is going to change that.

I apologize if I have hijackt this thread.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "skurry"The bridge to connect the blue states would be in the north, blue still has California and such.

Andrew, I don't care which side you pick, but you have to admit the Red is very much religious and are the ones responsible for the craziness. I'm not an ultra-Dem, I vote Republican many times if I like their views and points. I consider myself individual, but I think that America is split and there is nothing that is going to change that.

I apologize if I have hijackt this thread.

Make a new thread dude, this sounds interesting, in fact I've heard a ton of theories from all over the globe that America might crack like that. It seems plausible because how very political it has been getting every year, it only gets worse every year.

skurry

Done... return to KY Baptism.

BTW, I just started listening to NPR on stream and they just mentioned this story. :-)