News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Atheist nation?

Started by Ultima22689, September 04, 2009, 08:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultima22689

I was thinking, what if an all atheist nation was founded? I'm just curious of the implications, the plausibility, the negatives and positives, stuff like that. I don't even know if such a thing is even a good idea or even necessary but I thought it was an interesting idea, i'm sure it isn't the first time the thought was made but any opinions on this?

Reginus

Apperently the Czech Republic is the most (or one of the most) atheistic countries in the world, and it's a pretty average country if I do say so myself. However, it does have one of the highest beer consuption rates per person in the world lol

http://cheekymax.wordpress.com/2007/03/09/the-most-atheistic-country-in-the-world/
"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Arctonyx

An atheist country wouldn't end well. Secular is the way to go.
This situation requires a special mix of psychology, and extreme violence! - The Young Ones

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Reginus"Apperently the Czech Republic is the most (or one of the most) atheistic countries in the world, and it's a pretty average country if I do say so myself. However, it does have one of the highest beer consuption rates per person in the world lol

http://cheekymax.wordpress.com/2007/03/09/the-most-atheistic-country-in-the-world/

I think that is Sweden actually and from what I hear Sweden is supposedly pretty awesome.

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

Reginus

Well, Vietnam is in second place.
"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Arctonyx

Quote from: "Ultima22689"
Quote from: "Reginus"Apperently the Czech Republic is the most (or one of the most) atheistic countries in the world, and it's a pretty average country if I do say so myself. However, it does have one of the highest beer consuption rates per person in the world :D They also mostly swear in English too, so you already have a partly swedish vocabulary! :P

QuoteWell, Vietnam is in second place.

I thought Vietnam mostly followed Buddhism? The last figures I saw, something like 80% of all Vietnamese said they were Buddhist, so not exactly an atheistic country. Although most of the countries in the top 10 of that list are first world, and doing extremely well.
This situation requires a special mix of psychology, and extreme violence! - The Young Ones

Reginus

Quote from: "Arctonyx"I thought Vietnam mostly followed Buddhism? The last figures I saw, something like 80% of all Vietnamese said they were Buddhist, so not exactly an atheistic country.

*Facepalm*
Yeah, forgot Buddhism=no god.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Reginus"
Quote from: "Arctonyx"I thought Vietnam mostly followed Buddhism? The last figures I saw, something like 80% of all Vietnamese said they were Buddhist, so not exactly an atheistic country.

*Facepalm*

Buddhism however is still theism, so yeah, facepalm indeed.

Whitney

Quote from: "Ultima22689"
Quote from: "Reginus"

*Facepalm*

Buddhism however is still theism, so yeah, facepalm indeed.

Well....to be theists they'd have to believe in god.

They are definitely not secular.

Whitney

I don't think an atheist country would work for the same reason a theist country wouldn't work....you can't limit freedom like that and expect everyone to be happy.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Whitney"I don't think an atheist country would work for the same reason a theist country wouldn't work....you can't limit freedom like that and expect everyone to be happy.

mmm, indeed, good point, it's bound to just cause more pain thanks to oppression of freedom.

Ninteen45

An all atheist nation would be a nation with no need for a god. This, quite frankly, is pretty damn near impossible, as it would have to be a country where everyone's needs are fulfilled. People usually believe in god because they may be in deep poverty, or in a bad way. For an all atheist country there must be no crime, all jobs must be good for them. In short, there must not be a single negative thought.

However, it is a rather interesting "What if?" situation, and possibly an entertaining one, too. I still think it is possible, albeit kinda evil-ish. I mean, we do have endorphins we could inject....
Now I can be re-gognizod!

iNow

You guys should check out the book, "Society without God" by Phil Zuckerman.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article ... ryid=47142
QuoteSociologist Zuckerman spent a year in Scandinavia seeking to understand how Denmark and Sweden became “probably the least religious countries in the world, and possibly in the history of the world.” While many people, especially Christian conservatives, argue that godless societies devolve into lawlessness and immorality, Denmark and Sweden enjoy strong economies, low crime rates, high standards of living and social equality. Zuckerman interviewed 150 Danes and Swedes, and extended transcripts from some of those interviews provide the book's most interesting and revealing moments.

Here's a cool interview with him (in two parts):

[youtube:2z5vyyei]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn1il00qIzI[/youtube:2z5vyyei].................[youtube:2z5vyyei]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eEojwlG4cU[/youtube:2z5vyyei]

SSY

I would be curious as to how an atheist nation was defined. Would the state endorse atheism? Would theists be expelled?

I think a country where they did not give any state money to religious based organisations or programs, and where proselytizing (even to one's children) was banned, the country would become atheist in a hurry, and theism would be maintained at exceptionally low levels.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Ultima22689

Quote from: "SSY"I would be curious as to how an atheist nation was defined. Would the state endorse atheism? Would theists be expelled?

I think a country where they did not give any state money to religious based organizations or programs, and where proselytizing (even to one's children) was banned, the country would become atheist in a hurry, and theism would be maintained at exceptionally low levels.

^This, II bet a country like that could work out.