News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Atheist nation?

Started by Ultima22689, September 04, 2009, 08:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikkmichalski

Quote from: "Arctonyx"An atheist country wouldn't end well. Secular is the way to go.

Well, ours was. And look how we turned out.
*sigh*
Ford: "It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
Arthur: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford: "You ask a glass of water." -- Douglas Adams, H2G2
"'Why is it you never mentioned any of this before the plane crash?'...'I didn't think the time was ripe.' " [emphasis delightfully Vonnegut's] -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-5

Loffler

Quote from: "templeboy"yeah, but their problem wasn't the atheism, it was the lack of freedom...

Who said anything about a problem? This thread needs to acknowledge that there have been many officially atheist countries.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Loffler"
Quote from: "templeboy"yeah, but their problem wasn't the atheism, it was the lack of freedom...

Who said anything about a problem? This thread needs to acknowledge that there have been many officially atheist countries.

Please name them for me, I would love to read and learn about them.

Loffler

Quote from: "Ultima22689"
Quote from: "Loffler"

Please name them for me, I would love to read and learn about them.

Cuba, China, the USSR, Mongolia, Cambodia, North Korea, in fact all 22 countries behind the Iron Curtain. Albania even took it so far as to ban all religion.

Read all about state atheism here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism

Atheism was part of communist doctrine. Non-communist atheism is sometimes referred to as "organic atheism."

Renegnicat

An atheist nation state might, officially, declare that all human beings have the right to believe, but that the government officially recognizes all religion's as incorrect. Thus, no religious teaching endorsed by ANY public institution.

I would like to think, however, that religious art would be accepted, in the mythological spirit, if it is of high caliber. Religious art is rife with good themes. And it beats the shit out of our ugly modern art sculptures.
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]