News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

How atheists can help theists to revise their concept of God

Started by Yrreg, August 22, 2009, 09:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yrreg

I think the name God is not so acceptable to atheists, because they associate it with The Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Invisible Pink Unicorn, or leprechauns, etc.

I like to ask what names in place of God would you atheists suggest to be more acceptable to yourselves?

What about higher power all in lower case, which is also believed in by some scientists?

And also grand architect of the universe, all in lower case, which is the name for the builder of the physical universe according to Masons.

But I really have to read more about the higher power of a sort from scientists in order to know what they genuinely mean by that term.

And also from Masons about the grand architect of the universe.

What do you guys here, both atheists and theists say, but specially atheists?

Anyway, if you atheists here want to contribute a name to take the place of God of the Christians, please feel free as far as I am concerned.

Yrreg

AlP

Atheists do not believe there are deities, whatever words you use to describe them. That's what atheist means. I personally have no problem with you using the terms God, deity or higher power. Grand architect is maybe a little confusing to me.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Karras

Quote from: "Yrreg"I like to ask what names in place of God would you atheists suggest to be more acceptable to yourselves?
Anyway, if you atheists here want to contribute a name to take the place of God of the Christians, please feel free as far as I am concerned.

Call him/her/it what you want. A deity by any other name would have the same amount of evidentiary support.

If you want us to participate in the official naming ceremony though, do be sure to let us know when you have some evidence to support your empty assertions.

Edit: Although, pending such evidence, might I suggest "Roy"?

AlP

Quote from: "Karras"Call him/her/it what you want.
Or him/her/it/them? Can't go leaving out the polytheists =).

Karras

Quote from: "AlP"
Quote from: "Karras"Call him/her/it what you want.
Or him/her/it/them? Can't go leaving out the polytheists =).

Point taken.

In that case, might I also suggest that we tentatively reserve the names Larry, Moe, and Curly, in case of this eventuality? Perhaps Stan and Oliver as well, if three names turns out to be insufficient?

AlP

Quote from: "Karras"In that case, might I also suggest that we tentatively reserve the names Larry, Moe, and Curly, in case of this eventuality? Perhaps Stan and Oliver as well, if three names turns out to be insufficient?
And Fido and Tiger for dog and cat deities.

Karras

AlP

Quote from: "Karras"And )£*%%&£*"^~@? for the ineffable spirit?
Sacrilege! She's the Sublime Ineffable Spirit (with caps).

Karras

AlP

Quote from: "Karras"She? Not quite so ineffable then.
You're right. We know it exists only because it's essence can never be described. My bad.

John09

Quote from: "Yrreg"I like to ask what names in place of God would you atheists suggest to be more acceptable to yourselves?

Yrreg
Atheists don't dismiss god because of the name. Changing the name of god is not going to make the idea of god more acceptable to atheists.

Do you think that if we change the name of "Atheists" it will be more acceptable to christians? Perhaps christians would accept atheism if we called it "Acceptors of Non-existent Proof for the Concept of Invisible Being" or "Certain Humans Who Desire Real Evidence of Invisible Beings." lol

curiosityandthecat

All those names are too weak to sufficiently describe such an awesome power. I prefer Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.
-Curio

Ninteen45

Now I can be re-gognizod!

Karras

At this rate, I think Gerry may become a little too emotional to participate in this thread also. Might I suggest, Gerry, that you try a lie down in a darkened room?

LoneMateria

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"All those names are too weak to sufficiently describe such an awesome power. I prefer Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

That would suck ass to say in conversation lol >.<

I agree you label your imaginary deity whatever you want,  we will put an "a" in front of it when we refer to ourselves.  Changing the name doesn't change the problems with the deity.  Changing the name only adds confusion to groups who share your views.  The Christian god, the Muslim god, and the Jewish god are all the same god but they have different names and very slight differences in their character.  However claiming the god has a different name infuriates many theists.  If you have a conversation with a Christian and refer to god as Allah it will piss a lot of them off.  Tell Muslims that their god is YHWH (Yah-way or however its spelled now) and they will get equally offended.
QuoteI think the name God is not so acceptable to atheists, because they associate it with The Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Invisible Pink Unicorn, or leprechauns, etc.
Instead of changing the name to attempt to solve this made up problem lets look and see where the problem is.  Lack of evidence backed up by impossible claims.  If there was evidence for a god then it would become an accepted scientific theory.  Its really that simple.  Doing some name change isn't going to fix this.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl