News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

How atheists can help theists to revise their concept of God

Started by Yrreg, August 22, 2009, 09:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctonyx

Quote from: "Yrreg"I just want to share with you the idea that lack of evidence on your part is not any definitive evidence of the absence of God.

Critical thinking says that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

There is no evidence that there is an invisible purple chaffinch is sitting on my left shoulder, even thought absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, I'd say that a complete lack of evidence makes the likelihood of an invisible purple chaffinch on my left shoulder so low that I do not attempt to look for evidence of such.
This situation requires a special mix of psychology, and extreme violence! - The Young Ones

Chimera

Quote from: "Arctonyx"
Quote from: "Yrreg"I just want to share with you the idea that lack of evidence on your part is not any definitive evidence of the absence of God.

Critical thinking says that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

There is no evidence that there is an invisible purple chaffinch is sitting on my left shoulder, even thought absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, I'd say that a complete lack of evidence makes the likelihood of an invisible purple chaffinch on my left shoulder so low that I do not attempt to look for evidence of such.

:headbang:
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

-43-

We can't, faith is faith, unless some pricks decide they want to stick their beliefs in my face I really don't care.

Grizzly

Why do atheists feel the need to help someone revise their concepts?

The same groups complaining about pushy religious types trying to convert them, actually do the same damn thing, so why is it alright for you to try and convert people but not religions?
The Atheist/Liberal/(Insert loudmouthed group here) debate class:

1. I'm right.
2. You're wrong.
3. The end.

-43-

Quote from: "Grizzly"Why do atheists feel the need to help someone revise their concepts?

The same groups complaining about pushy religious types trying to convert them, actually do the same damn thing, so why is it alright for you to try and convert people but not religions?
Doublethink my friend...doublethink

Tanker

Quote from: "Grizzly"Why do atheists feel the need to help someone revise their concepts?

Quote from: "-43-"

Doublethink my friend...doublethink

You both should take the time to actully read the entire thread befre you comment on it. It's obvious from your statement that you haven't
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Grizzly

Nope, my internet's sketchy right now.

I might go back and read the whole thing, but probably not. I was just asking a question I was too lazy to make a thread for.

1. I'm right.
2. You're wrong.
3. The end.

Tanker

Quote from: "Grizzly"Nope, my internet's sketchy right now.

I might go back and read the whole thing, but probably not. I was just asking a question I was too lazy to make a thread for.

The question is not in tune with the rest of the thread. The original post was made by a Christian NOT an atheist, like you seem to think. Who then proceded to ignore all responses like they hadn't been made the repeatedly ask the same quetions over and over while making some pretty wild and ignorant acusations.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Grizzly

1. I'm right.
2. You're wrong.
3. The end.

Arctonyx

Why is it considered Atheists trying to convert people by writing on a forum called the 'Happy Atheist Forum', when it takes going door to door by a religious person to be considered trying to convert people?

It's the same thing with 'militant' behaviour, to be a militant religious person I have to blow something up or shoot one. I've been called a militant Atheist because I told some religious people to stop calling at my house early on a Saturday to try and get me to go to church.
This situation requires a special mix of psychology, and extreme violence! - The Young Ones

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Arctonyx"It's the same thing with 'militant' behaviour, to be a militant religious person I have to blow something up or shoot one. I've been called a militant Atheist because I told some religious people to stop calling at my house early on a Saturday to try and get me to go to church.

Your not the only one.  I think they try to use the term "militant atheist" as a derogatory term to get us to shut up when their proselatyzing and preaching doesn't get us to "see the light".  It's basically a a last ditch effort to get us to be quiet about our atheism.  Christians want to reserve the right to preach to us and threaten us with eternal hell fire and say how stupid we are for not believing, but don't want us to say how stupid their beliefs are back.  Last time i was called a militant atheist it was amusing because I quoted the bible to the person and told them if they didn't read their own bible then they are a hypocrite to say that I need to read it and are making shit up saying its the truth since they never read it.  Maybe i'm just an asshole I don't know lol :-p.

By the way Grizzly if you read more then the title of the thread before posting your opinion you won't look like a jackass. ^_^
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Whitney

Hint: this thread was started by a theist.....

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "Yrreg"
    God is the maker of everything in the totality of existence including the physical universe, and the author of the scheme of intelligent order prevailing in it.

You don't like that concept of the Christian God? Then tell me what concepts you want of the Christian God or how you would like to revise it.

god is the maker of humans whom humans made up before they had enough intelligence to understand that they made god and god did not make them.

If that doesn't work:

god is an imaginary asshole. Which I don't understand since we have enough real assholes to deal with.

If that doesn't work:

god: the original penal system

If that doesn't work:

You think big brother is bad? Let me introduce you to my god...

I think that if your god existed, this is a very good way of describing it:

Quote from: "Richard Dawkins"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully

There ya go. Question answered. You're welcome.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Kylyssa

It really doesn't matter whether we like or dislike a particular concept of god.  Our liking or disliking a concept of god makes it no more real.  There are scads of other fantasy things I adore the concept of - fairy godmothers, superheroes, elves, etc. - but it makes them no more real simply because they are pleasing concepts.

Zenrage

Quote from: "-43-"We can't, faith is faith, unless some pricks decide they want to stick their beliefs in my face I really don't care.

Faith is not faith.

Interpersonal faith is the faith that we have with real people and real objects in real environments based on our own experiences. These are the assumptions that James Randi speaks of in his "search for the chimera" speech that he gives.

Religious faith is the trust people have with an invisible sky genie based on events no one can show to have ever existed. The reality is religious faith is nothing more than voluntary schizophrenia.