News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

I need some new music!

Started by NaturaLCalamity, August 07, 2009, 08:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturaLCalamity

I've been listening to the same ol' music this summer, and I'm in need for some new songs or artists. I started listening to Keanne again, and Coldplay. Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Michael Buble and Norah Jones are always in my car stereo. I'm tired of the music today that are getting air-played, and over-played. It's just so annoying listening to the same songs again. 'I've got a feeling, woo-hoo, that tonights gonna be a good night!..." OMG i cant stand that song anymore. Every sporting event, every 15 minutes on the radio and every time a commercial is on, i hear that damn song. Black Eyed Peas needs to get out!!! Ok back on topic, any one have any suggestions? I'm open to any genre of music, so don't shell out on me.

Im kinda sleepy right now, as it is 12:55 am and I usually fall asleep listening to my ipod, so pardon my grammar and spelling! Blah! good night!
"Put your hands to the constellations, the way you look should be a sin, you're my sinsation...
I know I'm preachin' to the congregation, we love Jesus but you'd learned a lot from Satan!
May the Lord forgive us, May the Gods be with us
In that magic hour, I've seen good christians, make rash decisions
Oh she do it, what happened to Religion? Oh sh

AlP

I recently became bored listening to these bands too much:

Nightwish
Lacuna Coil
Within Temptation

But I liked them for a while. You could try them? They're all rock with a lead woman singer.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

hismikeness

I would try Blue October. They are a rock band from Texas. Very good stuff. You may have heard the radio songs "Hate Me", "Into the Ocean" and perhaps lately "Dirt Room" or "Say It". Hate Me was by far their biggest radio hit. But by no means is it their best song.  :headbang:

Hismikeness
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

SSY

I would suggest the late, great, Mr M Jackson. People seem to be forgetting about his music lately, you should listen to it and play it to others. It would make you stand out from the crowd.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Tom62

Quote from: "hismikeness"I would try Blue October. They are a rock band from Texas. Very good stuff. You may have heard the radio songs "Hate Me", "Into the Ocean" and perhaps lately "Dirt Room" or "Say It". Hate Me was by far their biggest radio hit. But by no means is it their best song.  :hail: !
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

DIY 1138

Try      
    The Eels  - Mr. E's Beautiful blues
                        Zita Swoon-  Josie Something
                       The Shins- Australia
                       Zoot Woman- Grey Day
                       Finger Eleven - I'll keep your memory vague

Or if your in the mood for some rock and roll classics
    Rod Stewart - Every picture tells a story
                        Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized
                        Grand Funk Railroad - Footstompin' music
                        Blues Image - Ride Captain ride
                       David Bowie - The man who sold the world
Finally this gem from Ryan Adams. It almost makes me rethink my stance on slide guitars.
I taught myself how to grow old

Will

I recently discovered the soundtrack to "The Fountain". It's not new, but it's really quite something, if you're in to that kind of music. As for new stuff, the newest album I have is 21st Century Breakdown by Green Day, but that's been playing all summer.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

jrosebud

have you visited pandora.com?  you can type in the name of a band or song that you like and it will find others that are similar in style/tone/etc to it from other bands.  i've discovered a lot of new artists that way.

what's in the top queue on my mp3 player at the moment:

the shins (always.  love them.)
mika
band of horses
the decemberists
ben folds
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

PipeBox

Can never go wrong with an America or Eagles CD in your car.  I don't care when you were born, either.  And despite the patriotic images evoked, I don't think these guys even sing a nationalistic song.

Guano Apes -- You Can't Stop Me
Dashboard Confessional -- Vindicated

I like a far wider variety than what's listed here, but I have an image to keep up.  Except to my close friends, who will no longer let me pick songs for riding anywhere.    :D
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Ninteen45

Voltaire's music.

No, Not the writer.
Now I can be re-gognizod!

curiosityandthecat

Ah, music. My specialty.

First, listen to http://www.radioparadise.com and http://www.cd101.com. Two best places to find music online (both online radio stations; CD101 is a station out of Columbus, OH, but the internet broadcast is the same as the radio broadcast, just without commercials). If you're looking for classical music, check out Ohio State's classical station at http://www.wosu.org. Also, http://www.sky.fm's Solo Piano channel is amazing.

As for individual bands to listen to, here's what's on heavy rotation at my house right now, in absolutely no order:

Bernward Koch
Sufjan Stevens
Peter Bjorn and John
Racounters
Broken Social Scene
Silversun Pickups
Black Keys
Magic Numbers
The Doves
Cold War Kids
CSS (Cansei de Ser Sexy)
Beirut
Guillemots
Andrew Bird
Final Fantasy (the solo artist from Canada, not the video game franchise music composed by Nobuo Uematsu)
Mooncake
God is an Astronaut
Mono
World's End Girlfriend
Kate Nash
Kings of Leon
Ray LaMontagne
Patrick Watson
Patrick Wolf
British Sea Power
Amy MacDonald
Cloud Cult
Nick Drake (you can never go wrong with Nick Drake. ever.)
Hevia
And, of course, Pink Floyd is always on heavy rotation here.

That should keep you busy for a while.  :D
-Curio

Squid

Here's a few I've run across I've found to be exceptional:

Edguy
Agalloch
Shadows Fall
Steel Panther (aka Metal Skool, Metal Shop & Danger Kitty)
Masterplan
Pagan's Mind
Millenium (a powermetal band - may be a bit difficult to find, not the one from Inida)
In Flames

...there's many others but I'll let ya have a shot at those.

NaturaLCalamity

Hmm. I still listen to MJ, and love him too. His music is timeless. I already have The Shins album. Dashboard Confessional has great music, but they're boring me.

Most of the suggestions are rock music, or classical. No one here listens to hip-hop? I'm expecting a few Run DMC fans!
"Put your hands to the constellations, the way you look should be a sin, you're my sinsation...
I know I'm preachin' to the congregation, we love Jesus but you'd learned a lot from Satan!
May the Lord forgive us, May the Gods be with us
In that magic hour, I've seen good christians, make rash decisions
Oh she do it, what happened to Religion? Oh sh

AlP

I wish I was into hip-hop; I would set the world view in my profile to "turntablist". Apparently I am unable to think of a world view that is more awesome. Anybody?
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

jrosebud

Quote from: "NaturaLCalamity"Hmm. I still listen to MJ, and love him too. His music is timeless. I already have The Shins album. Dashboard Confessional has great music, but they're boring me.

Most of the suggestions are rock music, or classical. No one here listens to hip-hop? I'm expecting a few Run DMC fans!

(There are three.  Love them all, but the second is my favorite.)
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins