News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

A little help needed.

Started by Neoncamouflage, July 09, 2009, 04:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSY

If she uses arguments of the form

"Science does not know how/why X happened, therefor, god did it"

The easiest counter is to agree, and then ask her which god. If the only criteria for a god to be real, is said god dwelling outside the realms of science, then you have a wealth to choose from (Odin, Ra, Zeus, Cuthulhu, The Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster, An, Svarog, Brahman, Ame-no-Koyane, Chiconahuiehecatl, Ah Puch, Gluskab, Waaq and my favorite; Khonvoum).

If your dear mother wants to assert that it is Bible God who did X, then she must offer some arguments for his validity, which then can then be addressed in turn. Refusal to prove Bible God as the cause of whatever phenomena, amounts to an admission that any god could be responsible for the act, and since there are an infinite number of possible gods, the chances of her god being the "right" one are mathematically, nil.

The argument can be appended by asserting that The Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster dreamed up her god as a joke, and is in fact the all powerful one who makes it look as if Bible God exists. Since the two worlds are indistinguishable from one another, one could never prove with certainty that your scenario is not infact the right one. If she invokes Occam's razor, you can then turn it right back at Bible God.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

thiolsulfate

Quote from: "SSY"[...]

The argument can be appended by asserting that The Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster dreamed up her god as a joke, and is in fact the all powerful one who makes it look as if Bible God exists. Since the two worlds are indistinguishable from one another, one could never prove with certainty that your scenario is not infact the right one. If she invokes Occam's razor, you can then turn it right back at Bible God.
Do I smell heresy?

The Carbo Deium is the only true god.

RAmen.