News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Congo: Torturing children in the name of Jesus

Started by VietnamVet-BRIGHT, May 21, 2009, 02:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VietnamVet-BRIGHT

This is the sort of thing which occurs when superstition (Christianity) comes into contact with profound ignorance ...

QuoteStanding before a wooden cross, Pastor Moise Tshombe, in a robe adorned with pictures of Jesus, went into a trance. Claiming to be speaking through the Holy Spirit, he declared, "These children are witches."

... a growing number of children in the Democratic Republic of Congo are being accused of witchcraft and subjected to violent exorcisms by religious leaders, in which they are often beaten, burned, starved and even murdered.

QuoteChildren in Congo forced into exorcisms

Isaac Mananga, 10, and his half sister Chanel, 7, knelt on the dirt floor of the church, staring up at the pastor through scared, confused eyes.

Standing before a wooden cross, Pastor Moise Tshombe, in a robe adorned with pictures of Jesus, went into a trance. Claiming to be speaking through the Holy Spirit, he declared, "These children are witches."

Moments later, with Isaac and Chanel by her side, the children's grandmother, Marie Nzenze, said she believed the charges. "God has spoken through the mouth of the prophet," she said. "God has not lied."

According to a United Nations report issued this year, a growing number of children in the Democratic Republic of Congo are being accused of witchcraft and subjected to violent exorcisms by religious leaders, in which they are often beaten, burned, starved and even murdered. The relatively new phenomenon has become one of the main causes in Central Africa for humanitarian groups, which are organizing programs to protect children's rights and educate pastors on the dangers of accusing children.

Ties to poverty

Liana Bianchi, the administrative director for the humanitarian group Africare, says the trend is partly the result of decades of war and economic decline in the Congo. The non-profit group Save the Children estimates that 70% of the roughly 15,000 street children in Kinshasa, the capital, were kicked out of their homes after being accused of witchcraft.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: United Nations | Africa | Jesus | Angola | Nigeria
"In my opinion," Bianchi said, "poverty is really at the root of child abandonment. Accusations of witchcraft have become socially acceptable reasons for why a family turns a child out on the street."

The practice, which has also been reported in Nigeria and Angola, can be lucrative for the priests who perform them.

Pastor Tshombe charged Julie Moseka $50 to exorcise her emaciated daughter, Noella, 8. The average annual salary in Congo is $100.

During the ceremony, Pastor Tshombe and three of his aides held Noella's spindly limbs down and poured hot candle wax on her belly while she screamed and cried. Then the pastor bit down hard and pulled the skin on her stomach, pretending to pull demonic flesh out of her.

In an interview afterward, Tshombe acknowledged the ritual can be painful, but he says it's necessary because otherwise the children would not be "cured."

When asked whether he thinks Jesus would approve of what he's doing, Tshombe said, "Why wouldn't he be happy? I'm just using the gifts given to me by the Holy Spirit."

Noella's mother, agreed. "It was imperative that it happen this way," she said, "because the child is accused of witchcraft."

The pastors who conduct such rituals are non-denominational, and most have no theological training, says Matondo Kasese of the humanitarian group Reejer. According to Arnold Mushiete, a social worker with a small Catholic organization called Our House, Congo's atmosphere of religious fervor, minimal education and rampant poverty makes for fertile territory for pastors who convince desperate parents that their children are the cause of their financial, medical and romantic problems.

"Formerly in our culture," Mushiete said, "the child was a precious being. Now, because of the church, children have become harmful beings."

Thrown into streets

Mushiete works with street children who have been accused of witchcraft. He says homeless children are frequently raped and beaten, even by police. Drug use is rampant. Girls often resort to prostitution, leaving their own babies to sleep on the side of the road at night while they sell themselves.

The Congolese legislature recently passed a law that makes it illegal to accuse children of witchcraft, but many activists, including Bianchi, say the law is not enforced.

Even the head of a special government commission to protect children accused of witchcraft said he thinks it is possible for children to be "sorcerers."

"You sometimes see a very little child with big eyes, black eyes, a distended stomach," said Theodore Luleka Mwanalwamba. "These are the physical aspects."

When asked how someone with his beliefs could protect children accused of witchcraft, he said the state has "the duty to save all the people who are in dangerous situations." He said cracking down on abusive pastors is difficult because "important people" are sometimes members of their churches.

Mushiete, the social worker, said he does not get discouraged. "The big work we want to do," he said, "is to sensitize the pastors, so they give another image of Jesus â€" not a Jesus who tortures children."

Harris is a reporter and anchor for ABC News. His report on children accused of witchcraft in Africa will air Thursday on Nightlineon ABC at 11:35 ET.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2009 ... htm?csp=34

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

justkeepthatinmind

Damn I felt sad reading this.As a man with kids,I just can not stand to see it.Its quite sick the length some people feel the need to go to just to show the point that "My religion is right and I can prove it by driving away imaginary evil".

I hate people like this.
Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies.-Thomas Jefferson

McQ

What kind of person does this? Really, this kind of stuff is just sick beyond what I can understand.

Reminds me of that jackass, mother****ing Peter Popoff.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SSY

And you can bet that if anyone were to bring this up, we would get

"Oh no, they are not a TRUE Christian"
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

rlrose328

Wow... just wow...

That makes me so sad.  Children as witches and sorcerers?  And the physical signs he gave as proof they are sorcerers sounds a lot like the signs of starvation... distended stomach, big black eyes... ignorance coupled with religion = death.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Jolly Sapper

QuotePastor Tshombe charged Julie Moseka $50 to exorcise her emaciated daughter, Noella, 8. The average annual salary in Congo is $100.

nuff said

VietnamVet-BRIGHT

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"
QuotePastor Tshombe charged Julie Moseka $50 to exorcise her emaciated daughter, Noella, 8. The average annual salary in Congo is $100.

nuff said

At the nucleus of Christianity is a core of snake oil salesmen preying on fear and ignorance to extract as much wealth and power from its gullible followers as they possibly can ... and, the more fearful and ignorant that their followers are, the more money they make.

That is why these Christian leaders loudly voice their warnings of atheists in their midst ... we totally threaten their nice money making scams.

Squid

Quote from: "VietnamVet-BRIGHT"
Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"

nuff said

At the nucleus of Christianity is a core of snake oil salesmen preying on fear and ignorance to extract as much wealth and power from its gullible followers as they possibly can ... and, the more fearful and ignorant that their followers are, the more money they make.

That is why these Christian leaders loudly voice their warnings of atheists in their midst ... we totally threaten their nice money making scams.

Religion is the single most successful scam ever devised.

PipeBox

Quote from: "Squid"Religion is the single most successful scam ever devised.

And so it might continue.  F*ck anyone who takes advantage of the weak, ignorant, or naive.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

SektionTen

While I believe everyone is responsible for their own life, even I only apply that distinction to "adults". Children are only responsible for the adult they will become, but nothing more.

Still, I think attacking the religion of these people is trying to solve the problem from the wrong end of the stick, so to speak. The real issues at hand is an economic--and thus, educational--crises. If it were me in the legislature, I'd immediately start thinking of ways to increase the teaching of reading to children. All those missionary programs? They'd be much better suited as Reading rainbows.

Godschild

I agree,to treat childern in this manner is horrible,actually to mistreat childern in any way is horrible and it is not part of the christian belief so please stop blaming christianity for such horrible acts.I've stated on another post love is at the core of christianity and these acts against childern have no resemblance to love.If you doubt what I'm saying read the New Testament and checkout what is said about childern.

PipeBox

Christianity is their justification, or so they claim.  They can use it to play off the beliefs of other local Christians.  But, to be sure, these people would claim you were not a true Christian.  Personally, I'd rather think you are.  There's still the more general problem.  Religion created the demons they need to cast out, and religion told them they could do it.  It's not hard to see why many atheists hold a disdain for.  Make no mistake, even if we were all atheists, there would still be crazies.  But as Steven Weinberg said:
QuoteWith or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Psalm23

Jesus said.. "BEWARE OF THOSE WHO WOULD HURT A CHILD.."

Jesus said.. "A child is the gift to the Mother.."

Jesus said.. "You must become pure as an innocent child before you shall walk into the Kingdom of GOD.."

Now you have the facts.
"Wash me clean, set me free, hold me closer, cover me" - David Crowder - My Hope

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Psalm23"Jesus said.. "BEWARE OF THOSE WHO WOULD HURT A CHILD.."

Jesus said.. "A child is the gift to the Mother.."

Jesus said.. "You must become pure as an innocent child before you shall walk into the Kingdom of GOD.."

Now you have the facts.
Didn't he also preach, "Spare the rod, spoil the child?"

:|
-Curio