News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

I feel Cheated

Started by SSY, February 16, 2009, 09:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSY

On friday, I had a guest lecturer come in to give us a lecture on Galactic supercluxters and the intracluster medium, good stuff I am sure you all agree.

However, being the good student I am, I went to wiki to do my reading, only to find that her entire lecture, is almost verbatum copied from there. The order of the points is the same, all the numbers she gives are the same ( very rare when in cutting edge research to get the same numbers, people will always disagre), and so are the examples she pointed out.

To be honest, I am massivley unimpressed, I do not pay my fees to have someone read wikipedia aloud to me, I could do that myself. I suppose the only other way this could ahppen is if she wrote the wikipedia article.

Anyway, does anyone think it is worth rocking the boat on this one? As said before, I feel a little bit cheated.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

karadan

Quote from: "SSY"On friday, I had a guest lecturer come in to give us a lecture on Galactic supercluxters and the intracluster medium, good stuff I am sure you all agree.

However, being the good student I am, I went to wiki to do my reading, only to find that her entire lecture, is almost verbatum copied from there. The order of the points is the same, all the numbers she gives are the same ( very rare when in cutting edge research to get the same numbers, people will always disagre), and so are the examples she pointed out.

To be honest, I am massivley unimpressed, I do not pay my fees to have someone read wikipedia aloud to me, I could do that myself. I suppose the only other way this could ahppen is if she wrote the wikipedia article.

Anyway, does anyone think it is worth rocking the boat on this one? As said before, I feel a little bit cheated.

Yes! Rock the boat mate, rock it hard! That is completely unacceptable (unless as you said, she wrote the wiki article herself). She should at least be confronted about it considering the amount of trouble a student gets into for plagiarism.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

SSY

I know a couple of people were kicked out for plagerism in their lab work, when looking at it that way, I suppose it seems a lot more serious.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

curiosityandthecat

Just forward the page to whoever's in charge (prof, dept. head, whatever) with one line in the body of the email:

"Thought you might recognize this from last week."
-Curio

Whitney

Plagarism alone is a good reason to expell someone.  Plagarizing wiki is an even better reason.  Seriously, who would be dumb enough to copy a whole paper off of wiki?

If the guest lecturer was not a student then I'm sure there other things they can do too.   At the very least they should get back any fee they paid the person.

Btw, even if this person did write the wiki, that is still not very smart.  You don't copy your lecture onto wiki without at least citing it as your lecture.

Loffler

Quote from: "SSY"On friday, I had a guest lecturer come in to give us a lecture on Galactic supercluxters and the intracluster medium, good stuff I am sure you all agree.

Yes, let everyone know. But do so anonymously.

seasonsofmadness

Wow that is rediculous. Someone should casually ask the speaker if she was the one who wrote the wiki page. There should be an interesting response.

Will

Intellectual dishonesty is frighteningly common these days. People need to be called on it.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.