News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Life sucks

Started by wazzz, February 19, 2009, 09:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wazzz

my question is simple do u believe there’s a judgment day and a life after death ?
for me i see there must be judgment day or i’ll be pissed of so much coz jerks can get away with their stupid Action
for the second thing after life issue  it freaks me out that i’ll live just few years and then i’ll become just like dust nothing more nothing else .where all the hard work i did in my entire life would go ?!!!!  :brick:
int main()
{
cout<<"Hello World ";
return 0;
}

s0cks

Of course not. Hence... Atheist.

You just have to accept that there will always be bad people. Its just life. I doubt any of these people are actually happy though, and they live a pretty unfulfilling life I would imagine.

curiosityandthecat

And thus the drama of the human condition.
-Curio

Whitney

I see no reason to assume any sort of supernatural judgement exists.  It's not like our desire for things to be fair means they will be fair.

SteveS

curiosityandthecat

This is one of the reasons I love Dr. Timothy Leary. Shortly before he died of cancer in 1996, he said, "[Deciding how] you die is the most important thing you ever do."

It's not the being dead part that's important; it's how you get there and what you do before it.
-Curio

SallyMutant

All the good work you do is the  afterlife. Everyone, everything affected by good work is improved and embiggened*, and the ripples and memories go on for who knows how long,right?

*Simpsons coined it.
There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?

SteveS

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"It's not the being dead part that's important; it's how you get there and what you do before it.
Hear him, hear him!

Quote from: "SallyMutant"All the good work you do is the afterlife. Everyone, everything affected by good work is improved and embiggened*, and the ripples and memories go on for who knows how long,right?
Maybe, but:
Quote from: "Percy Shelley"And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
On the other hand,
Quote from: "Alfred Tennyson"Our echoes roll from soul to soul,
And grow for ever and for ever.

If the idea of doing lasting good makes you happy, then do good (and hope it lasts :D

Graham

i accidentally made two posts.

Graham

Quote from: "wazzz"where all the hard work i did in my entire life would go ?!!!!  :brick:
this kind of reminded me of Ayn Rand's philosophy, "objectivism". i want to suggest a book to you called "the fountainhead" if you haven't already read it.

SallyMutant

There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?

wazzz

thanx guys u really cheered me up with ur talking thanx all Mr.Green
int main()
{
cout<<"Hello World ";
return 0;
}

Kylyssa

Quote from: "wazzz"my question is simple do u believe there’s a judgment day and a life after death ?
for me i see there must be judgment day or i’ll be pissed of so much coz jerks can get away with their stupid Action
for the second thing after life issue  it freaks me out that i’ll live just few years and then i’ll become just like dust nothing more nothing else .where all the hard work i did in my entire life would go ?!!!!  :brick:
I don't believe in judgment or life after death.

What I see here is that the idea of right bastards  getting away scott-free with their bastardy offends your sense of what is fair.  Why not work to achieve more fairness in life by being fair to others and speaking out against unfairness done to others?

As to becoming dust after you die - who cares?  You certainly won't.  You won't exist to care.  People will remember you for a time.

Call me a sap but I think that some intangibles "live on" after we die.  If you make it a point to be nurturing and loving, the love you have expressed towards others will multiply and grow long after you are gone.  Just as the glimmer of love that stirred in the consciousness of some fuzzy little creature millions of years ago as it clutched its squalling offspring to its breast to suckle has spread to loosely encompass a world, the offspring of the love and kindness you create will continue long after you are gone.  Or at least it might until mammalian life fizzles out and dies.  

Regardless, you and I will be dead anyway so we won't care.  The best that you can do is to add to the positive aspects of the world rather than to subtract from them.

This is part of why I'm a hedonist.  Life is short and delicious so I'm going to eat it up until I fall over dead.  

Life - available for a limited time only.  Get yours while you can.

SteveS

Some "feel-good" stuff:

Attributed to Dr. James Watson:
QuoteI don't think we're here for anything, we're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch.

Attributed to Mark Twain:
QuoteI do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.

How about putting this on your tombstone?

Never take life or death too seriously.  In keeping with this mantra, and, just to keep things light-hearted,
Quote from: "Kylyssa"Call me a sap but I think that some intangibles "live on" after we die.
Okay.  You're a sap!   :P

Tanker

I deffinatly don't.

If there was, who's would be right? I mean even moving away from the big Judeo Christian threesome there, of  which there are considerably more subsects and beliefs on the afterlife all there own, there have been literally THOUSANDS of religions in human history all with exactly the same amount of evidence for each. So whos right? Whos judgement is the right one? Which parameters should you follow? If you are going to "heaven" according to a hundred religions you'll still go to "hell" according to hundreds of others.

All religions have, or do say they are the right one all say that if you don't follow their dogma you don't get into their version of heaven. All have exactly the same justification to their claims, which is to say none. Just live your life the best you know. Thats all any of us can do.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.