News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Give me your questions

Started by SSY, January 21, 2009, 03:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSY

Tomorrow, I will ( probably ) be attending this http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=4 ... 2247659639

A lecture from Alister McGrath, a christian, giving his reponse to the god delusion. There will be a q and a section after.

Are there any specific questions or arguments you would like me to make? Any particular fallacies to look out for? All ideas appreciated. Obviously I will ask an appropriate question if the clear oppurtunity arises for it, but I was looking for other things to ask, or any issues anyone here may like answered by a regarded christian acedemic.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "SSY"A lecture from Alister McGrath, a christian, giving his reponse to the god delusion. There will be a q and a section after.

Unfortunately, having read his book The Dawkins Delusion,  I'm not sure there are any questions that I would have for him that I would expect any answers to which are any more intelligent than anything that the late messenger would have posted on this board.
Have you read that book? It's a pile of garbage covered in pigeon droppings left out on the pavement in 100 degree weather to ferment. I mean, the guy actually tries to use the argument that because he knows many people  who have converted to christianity only after going to college or jail, that it must be correct. I truly don't know how I made it through that book. And the only reason I downloaded and read it in the first place was, since I like to get both sides of the story, I wanted to see what kind of arguments a supposed "christian intellectual" could come up with. Trust me, it's no better than the banter that you will find coming from any fundie's mouth.
Anyway, sorry for the rant SSY, none of that really will help you get a question for him. If I think of one that may be worth trying to get an intelligent answer out of him, I'll let you know.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

SSY

Thats interesting, thanks for the insight. To be honest, with a first class honours degree in molecular biophysics, I was hoping for some real understanding of the scientific method, would have made a pleasent change from a normal fundie.

I'll see what he is like tomorrow I guess.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

LARA

I suppose I would like to know what the nature of his God is like.  Does he have an anthropomorphic view of the Judeo-Christian deity or is he taking a metaphorical view of God?  How does he rectify his beliefs and the nature of his divine authority with his knowledge of science and biochemistry?  What are his views on evolution?  Does he believe that Jesus was a real human male produced by divine virgin birth?  Does he try to use some kind of unusual or bizarre scientific explanation for Christ's death on the cross and subsequent reanimation or does he just call it a miracle?  Are his religious beliefs more about community, morality and social standing rather than a belief in religious dogma and miracles?
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell