News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Trolling 101

Started by curiosityandthecat, December 12, 2008, 03:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

A suggestion for the mods: This thread is supposed to be about, not for trolling, isn't that right..?

So why not move some parts of it and merge them with the pile-of-trolls thread?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "McQ"Warning is being issued to both BigMac and Poopshoot. Next time it's a one-week ban from HAF. Your posts are totally out of bounds for this forum. BigMac, in my opinion, you owe Velma a sincere apology.
What rule did I break and where is the post in which I did that?
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Big Mac

Quote from: "PoopShoot"What rule did I break and where is the post in which I did that?

Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

McQ

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "McQ"Warning is being issued to both BigMac and Poopshoot. Next time it's a one-week ban from HAF. Your posts are totally out of bounds for this forum. BigMac, in my opinion, you owe Velma a sincere apology.
What rule did I break and where is the post in which I did that?

Your exchange with BigMac broke forum rules on civility and conduct. Read them.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1522#wrap

You also helped derail this entire thread, which is strictly about our tips for dealing with trolls and how we prefer members to behave when trolls try to post. Acting like a troll is behaving in the opposite way of this forum's method of dealing with them.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

PoopShoot

Quote from: "McQ"Your exchange with BigMac broke forum rules on civility and conduct. Read them.
I have.  I reread them.  I still don't see how I broke any of them.

QuoteYou also helped derail this entire thread, which is strictly about our tips for dealing with trolls and how we prefer members to behave when trolls try to post. Acting like a troll is behaving in the opposite way of this forum's method of dealing with them.
So I broke the unwritten rules.  Got it.  I guess this is why rules tend to be written.  I'll try not to offend you too much in the future.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Asmodean

Quote from: "PoopShoot"I'll try not to offend you too much in the future.
Good idea. Mac, he can invoke the power of

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "PoopShoot"I'll try not to offend you too much in the future.
Good idea. Mac, he can invoke the power of

and they accuse ME of trolling  :raised:
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Asmodean

Quote from: "PoopShoot"and they accuse ME of trolling  :P  There is just enough substance in what I say to be on the right side of spam. Usually, a lot more than that.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

PoopShoot

Pfft.  That's not even a real banhammer.  Real banhammers are soft and fluffy, usually made of pliable plastic monomers coated in pure softness.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Asmodean

And judging by that comment there, I'd say my point is won.  :pop:

You know, a little messing around here and there is all good, but you gotta' learn howta' walk the line without crossing over to the wrong side - but, as you can probably guess, that [walking the line] should not be used as your conduct baseline.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Big Mac

Like others have said, ignore the trolls. When you get angry at them, you're just feeding into their game. Imagine trolls being like Paul Mooney. The madder you get, the more they get a stupid grin on their face. Except Paul is usually funny.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Thumpalumpacus

Pointing and laughing is helpful.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Big Mac"When you get angry at them, you're just feeding into their game.
Who gets mad at trolls?
All hail Cancer Jesus!

McQ

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "McQ"Your exchange with BigMac broke forum rules on civility and conduct. Read them.
I have.  I reread them.  I still don't see how I broke any of them.

QuoteYou also helped derail this entire thread, which is strictly about our tips for dealing with trolls and how we prefer members to behave when trolls try to post. Acting like a troll is behaving in the opposite way of this forum's method of dealing with them.
So I broke the unwritten rules.  Got it.  I guess this is why rules tend to be written.  I'll try not to offend you too much in the future.

I pointed you directly to them, and you did break them. The first word in the rules is civility. Typing, "No, dickbreath. You're unfunny." is not civil. Nor is it work safe, which we also mention in the rules.

Continuing to derail a thread by trolling, or acting like a troll (same thing) is against forum rules. Both you and BigMac posted a couple of pages of material that is against forum rules, all while derailing a thread that is intended to keep our membership from feeding trolls.

See how you broke them now?

And you're not causing me any offense, but nice try at baiting, which is also against forum rules. I'm just here to help moderate the forum.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette