News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

When did you become Atheist?

Started by Akwo, November 27, 2008, 02:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akwo

At what point in your life did you make the choice between Theism or Atheism. When you were born doesn't count, I want to know when in your life were you aware of both ideas and chose to become Atheist.

I believe it was when I was twelve. Luckily it wasn't too hard to get across to my parents, my Mother was Agnostic and my Father was Catholic.

Asmodean

When first confronted with the idea of god, i seem to remember taking no interest in it. When I later figured theism to be ridiculous and wanted to define myself, atheist became the natural definition.

Which puts me into the "don't count" cathegory of atheists from birth.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Martian

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
-Thomas Jefferson

(I DON'T BELIEVE GOD EXISTS)

Wechtlein Uns

I don't know. I remember being incredibly sincere in my beliefs as a roman catholic. I also remember being a very cynical and resentful atheist. But it was such a long journey from one point to the other that I don't think there ever was a single moment, or year, for that matter, when I *chose* atheism. Also, I no longer describe myself as an atheist today. Though I don't believe in god, my conception of what that means is quite different from typical atheism.

The journey from atheist to interactionsim, however, also lacks a defining moment. It's all very incremental and slow, I guess. I don't remember any definite markings along the way.

My mom and relatives think it's just a phase and that I'll eventually see the error of my ways. But, I'm fairly happy right now. Whereas when I was roman catholic I was more trembling with fear than happy. I don't want to go back to that.
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

MariaEvri

I dont remember exactely. I didnt actually made a choice, just gradually grwoing up, learning about the world, seeing documentaries, all those and my sense, made me realise there is no god. I was a full atheist by the time I was 17-18.

edit: i must really learn to check my spellings before I hit submit
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Kylyssa

I don't count, either.  I first encountered the concept of God in a book the summer before I entered kindergarten.  I recall asking my Mom if people actually believed in that or were they just pretending.  It never occurred to me that God might be real, just that some people might think it was like some people think ghosts and Santa Claus are real.  There never was a choice.  I never had to choose to believe or not believe in Santa Claus, either, it was just clearly make-believe from the get go.

Chimera

I think I realized it during a church service on Easter Sunday, 2006. We were singing songs and I kept thinking, "I don't believe any of this." I had formerly been very passionate and sincere about my faith and had gone to a missionary training school and a mission trip to India. I cautiously waded the waters as an agnostic until I realized that religion was illogical and science was right. I was 22 years old.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman