News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

I don't see it

Started by Ninja Donkey, October 02, 2008, 01:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja Donkey

So, this is the big hub-bub here in Western MA, a window in a hospital that people claim depicts the Virgin Mary
http://www.cbs3springfield.com/news/local/30041009.html?video=pop&t=a

So, who else around here has found their savior in their toast this morning?
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk" - Tom Waits

Asmodean

Say there WAS a depiction of someone in that window... How do them poeple know it's Virgin Mary and not Plumber Joe?

:unsure:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

rlrose328

The old guy nailed it near the end... they're all looking for some sort of miracle and, barring an actual miracle, they'll settle for a chemical reaction on a window.  Of course, science can explain that it's a chemical reaction... but they'll just say, "then why did it just HAPPEN to take the shape of the virgin Mary?"

Um... coincidence?  Why was I born with brown hair and blue eyes?  There's a firm explanation for that... but NOT for a virgin Mary on a window.

I'm with that other hospital... cover it up or replace the window, see if Mary can come back if she's so anxious to be there.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Ninja Donkey

Quote from: "Asmodean"Say there WAS a depiction of someone in that window... How do them poeple know it's Virgin Mary and not Plumber Joe?

:unsure:

...or Slutty Jane?
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk" - Tom Waits

SteveS

It's hard not to get an initial kick out of the people crowding around taking cell-phone photos of a smear on a window.  But, once the amusement fades, it seems somehow depressing.....

Did anyone else notice how poor the likeness of "Mary" can be and still remain acceptable to the believers?  The turtle belly, for example?  Are you kidding?  By these standards don't most squashes qualify?

Whitney

I think it looks like the grim reaper more than the virgin mary.

SteveS

Well, I'd never heard of "pareidolia" before, but that certainly seems to fit the bill, doesn't it?  The wiki tied it into EVP also, which makes good sense to me.  I was just thinking that the other branch of people that seem to suffer from pareidolia are the paranormal "researchers".  Poorly focused pictures of forests in the sunlight are alleged to containing ghostly images of people and faces (or even screaming faces).

curiosityandthecat

I just took a dump and it looks EXACTLY like St. Francis of Assisi.

:| Can I has my celebrity and money now, please?
-Curio

Asmodean

No, cat, that's not St. Francis. that is the Plumber Joe. Although why he is floating in your crap, one can only wonder...  :banna:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jrosebud

Quote from: "Ninja Donkey"So, this is the big hub-bub here in Western MA, a window in a hospital that people claim depicts the Virgin Mary
http://www.cbs3springfield.com/news/local/30041009.html?video=pop&t=a

So, who else around here has found their savior in their toast this morning?

I have a stamp that makes the shape of Mary in my bread before I pop it in the toaster.   :D   Does it count if I'm trying too hard?
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Stoicheion

:D  i love this thread.

I did just receive a touch from God though! I felt it!

never mind... i just had to burp
[size=85]So why does there only have to be one correct philosophy?
I don't wanna go and follow you just to end up like one of them
And why are you always telling me what you want me to believe?
I'd like to think that I can go my own way and meet you in the end
Go my own way and meet you in the end
"Same Direction" - Hoobastank
[/size]

Jolly Sapper

well.. I haven't had any "visits" from any prominent religious figures in my toast but I did see a character from a cartoon in the skillet when I was frying eggs for breakfast a few months ago.

Maybe I'll get around to photobucketting the pic and make a side by side comparison between my breakfast and Les from "Viva Pinata."

Will

I found the shape of a Galapagos finch on my toast, and by the time I'd come back with my camera the toast was able to use sticks as tools. So I guess evolution is real.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.