News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

My calling in life seems to be....

Started by Big Mac, February 23, 2008, 07:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

...becoming a firefighter. I have a new job as a security guard at the local mall. The pay is terrible to say the least but the people I've met have been great. I've lost a bit of weight from all the walking I do.

At any rate, a co-worker of mine is applying for the Austin Fire Department and suggested it since I've been preparing to take an EMT course this summer. The more I looked at it, the more I realized it's nearly the perfect job for me.

There's fire, helping people, working out, axes, crowbars, etc. Breaking down doors and windows and generally having a physically demanding job that is a vital service to the community. And the pay and benefits are not bad.

I've begun working out intensely. Lifting weights, running, biking, jump-roping, etc. and I'm feeling better now. The usual haze and aimless angst seems to be being replaced with more confidence and keenness that I had when I was younger and in much better shape. And this has merely been about a week of doing so.

I take the written exam in a little over a month and I'm not sure about the physical test's date. It involves wearing a lot of weight and doing simple fire-fighter tasks.

At any rate, anyone have advice on anything in regards to this career choice? Physical fitness tips, test tips, or just in general with this job?
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Steve Reason

Yes, I have some advice. Don't refer to when you were younger and in much better shape when you are 22, and have an audience of many older people!  

Ha!

My advice would be to train like an Olympian would train, because I've heard that it's tough. Toughen your mind as well, and be prepared to give an account of why you want to be a firefighter.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Big Mac

You know, I used to to do the same pondering with why I wanted to be a cop or EMT. The problem with the two is simply this: APD is a bit too stringent. Anyone who has tried to apply to a state/county job in Texas will know (well this probably applies to any job in general) that they take forever to go through paperwork or are too picky on who they pick. All the while they will bemoan the fact they are understaffed. While I am frustrated by the government (and as a staunch Libertarian detest big government) I none the less enjoy employment they provide.

It's a vicious cycle for them. They knock out perfectly good candidates because of minor splotches on their record (we're human, we do bad things sometimes, but I'll cut short as I can rant for hours to the point of people trying to stab their fountain pen in my eye) for maniacs who have lucked out and not had a problem with the system yet.

Case in point...I applied once to become a "Correctional Officer" (read: PRISON GUARD") in Texas at one of the worst in the state (google "Texas Seven", THAT prison). I aced the tests on observation. I hate to brag (well hate is a strong word in this case, but I digress too much) but I have a very good attention to detail. Almost anal retentive to the point of Asperger's/Autism. I will catch on to things quicker than most people or notice people's bullshit fast. The test was a joke (government after all), the finger printing was easy. I have never been arrested. Hell the most I've ever had with the cops is being frisked and sweet-talking my way out of being charged with anything for a dumbass prank I instigated in the town I grew up in.

It took them SIX, yes SIX months to call me back and hire me. By that time I moved to Austin (ATX is a town I love) and politely reject their belated offer. In reality, it was probably a blessing in disguise. My primary place was the minimum security prison in Cuero where the prisoners kiss your ass because they want to get out.

I know I'm babbling on a scotch-fueled rant but please listen, my reasons are more than valid.

I think my drive for such jobs besides some money, excitement, etc. is my desire to help others. I am not moved by having tons of money. Being comfortable is fine with me. Very few things motivate me in my life because I see the light and know that our actions carry on more than what we lease for a brief time in our existence. To help and save others and enrich lives is more impressive and immortal than racking up big big money or getting other basic needs. Knowing that you can set a positive example to your community and help future generations in itself is much better than all the shiny trinkets the world has to offer in its womb.

Beside that (corny, maybe) little soul shower, the reason why I refer to myself as in better shape is the fact after my stint in the military I have put on 50+ pounds and grown lazy for almost 3 solid years. Walking upstairs was sometimes tiresome. Even if I don't get this job the first go around, I'll work to make myself in much better shape as my (fleeting) youth allows. For too long have I sat idle and looked to the future of when I would "start" working out instead of just fucking doing it.

Christ on a Cross, I'm young and in the peak of my age. I should be lifting two naked chicks on a barbell and giving them my own special sauce instead of sitting idle in front of a comp bemoaning my failing health. This job, which I may not get, has motivated me to improve myself all around. I have found that even if I fail this time around, there's next year. And if not, maybe there's something else waiting for me.

All I can admit is this job idea has motivated me and it's been sitting here for the past 4 years. Better seize the hour and toss my lot. This life is the only one a man has got.

Sorry, but scotch has this effect on me. Any more advice? I'm all ears (well eyes at least, four of them by my last count).

McQ

Yo, Big Mac, congrats on what you are doing!

I've never been a firefighter, so no advice in that regard, but absolutely encourage you to pursue it fully. I agree that working out a lot will make you able to physically and mentally prepare for the job. Read all you can about it, attend volunteer training, hang out with firefighters, whatever you can do to absorb the culture of the job.

It is one of the most worthwhile things a person can do, and if you have a passion for it, you'll do great.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

filip3rd

Off topic:

and give it Facism !!!

I always want to know if average American even knows what Communism is or they just dislike it because their big daddy told them so? I mean do you even get the concept?
“Anarchism, really stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion; the liberation of the human body from the dominion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government.”

Whitney

flip..please start a new thread or use pm to discuss Big Mac's sig.

--------

Big Mac, good luck with fire fighting. The fire fighters I have known really loved their jobs.  

QuoteSorry, but scotch has this effect on me. Any more advice? I'm all ears (well eyes at least, four of them by my last count).

If you drink more than a couple times a week you will want to start cutting back now.  Fire fighters typically do a 4 day on 4 off (or some similar schedule).

Other than that; sounds like you should keep doing what you are doing.  Once you have been in for a while, conider getting licensed to drive the truck; my old babysitter's husband drives the truck and enjoys it (and it pays more).

Reasoner

Big Mac;
I've got a bit of advice on getting ready for this job, psyche-wise. If you become a firefighter you might need help and support around doing what you can, and then letting things go. In other words there will be times when despite all of your efforts, an outcome is bad.

Being able to seek and use support from other people around this type of pain does not come naturally, and your co-workers often might not be able to help. Helping others in crisis is really rewarding, but it requires one to re-seek one's center pretty often.

That's my meaningful input for the day; I hope it's helpful (or at least not annoying).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it."- Lily Tomlin

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Big Mac"I think my drive for such jobs besides some money, excitement, etc. is my desire to help others.

That's very admirable.  I wouldn't recommend saying that firefighting is your second choice after police work...I don't think that would go over big with the fire fighters!

Cardiovascular conditioning is very important to a firefighter.  Getting in top physical shape is crucial, but they will also look for someone with a healthy attitude toward service.  Attention to detail is always a plus, so I guess you're covered there.  You might want to cut back on the alcohol for a while.  A clear head is very important when you are about to run into a burning building.

Keep us posted on this new venture.  I sincerely hope it works out well.   :D

Mister Joy

Quote from: "filip3rd"I always want to know if average American even knows what Communism is or they just dislike it because their big daddy told them so? I mean do you even get the concept?

I wont respond here, much as I'd love to, because I don't want to help derail the thread. I am struggling a little to restrain myself, though, so please do start this in a new topic.

Big Mac: Don't have any advice for you (other than the obvious 'careful not to get killed') but good luck, mate. Hope it works out for you.

weirdframer

As a Red Cross Volunteer I see fire Fighters at work 2 or 3 times a week. They work long hours and it can be dangerous but they all seem to enjoy it and theyve always been good to to us.   Good luck
The trouble with born-again Christians is that they are an even bigger pain the second time around.”

Kona

Look, Mac, you can dress it up in whatever altruistic faire you wish, but the truth is that you just want access to the babes that dig firefighters and you want to learn how to cook up some good chili.  Fighting fires is just a side dish.   I commend you nonetheless!  Have a Ziegenbach for me the next time you are on 6th Street!  :cheers:
Fight Global Warming......Save a Pirate!

Big Mac

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I am really a different beast offline than online. It's one of the reasons I was banned from Atheist Network. I am pretty mild-mannered In Real Life (IRL). If you met me outside the web, you'd be amazed. I am nothing like my arrogant asshole online self. I consider  myself a pretty decent fellow.

I barely missed the mark for firefighter on the Public Servant Exam quiz by 2 people. It's a good thing because I'm wildly out of shape since the Army. I've been working out like crazy since my recent job in a high-rise that has a decent fitness center. I've been lifting and doing cardio and withing three weeks of working out and eating right: I've lost about 15 pounds of flab and have gotten extremely stronger.

I'm kind of glad I failed. My new goal is to become a teacher and reach out to the small segment of the our next generation as I can.

I lucked out and found that school was waiting for me without realizing it.

Will

Quote from: "Big Mac"At any rate, anyone have advice on anything in regards to this career choice? Physical fitness tips, test tips, or just in general with this job?
It was always an impossible aspiration of mine to become a firefighter. Despite being in outstanding physical condition, my heart defect apparently makes running into a burning building to save lives and livelihoods out of the question.

Step one with entering a physical occupation is always core strength. You absolutely need a strong back to be a firefighter. If you're in average shape, start with pilates. If you're in bad shape, get an exercise ball and do variations on this. If you're in good shape, your core is already made of tempered steel and you can just keep doing what you're doing. The rest is simply strength and endurance. Go grab an issue of Men's Health and do the weight routine in the back religiously. On alternating days, go running. After you're comfortable running, run uphill. After that, run uphill with a backpack full of books. After that, run up with a small man on your back. Once you're able to carry a morbidly obese man uphill, you're probably ready.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Hey Big Mac, I'm glad to see you back.  I hear that teaching can be a very rewarding, sometimes frustrating, career choice.  My husband actually just started teaching.  Do you have something in mind that you're going to focus on such as science, social studies, English etc?