News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Where are they?

Started by EvolutionCalling, August 15, 2008, 10:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvolutionCalling

Every Christian claims to know 'converted atheists' so, where are they?  Wouldn't a true converted atheist be doing everything possible to bring other atheists over?  I have never been approached by one of these converts.

EvolutionCalling

Here is the conversation this stemmed from:

QuoteI know several atheists that have converted. What religions besides the jewish predate Christianity that are still around today. No book in the world has been scrutinized more than the bible. Piece after piece has been picked through and proven time and time again. Science is constantly finding "new findings" that have been written in the bible for the past 2000 years. I have read countless acounts from atheists/agnostics that have set out to prove Christianity false only to beg for forgivness and fall at the foot of GOD. I do not personally try to convert anyone, GOD does that. I am mearly telling anyone that I can the grace and salvation that exists with Christ. Atheism to me shows someone that is uneducated. How can you say without a doubt there is no GOD. Have you looked? Have you been to the end of space? Where you here at the creation of earth? Yet the bible proves itself over and over. GOD has given me many miracles in my life, I know without a doubt he is there. He will be there for you to, if you repent and seek to know him.
Jesus performed many miracles in front of people and some still did not believe. So saying that "If your religion's God was all powerful, all knowing, and wanted us to believe in him, we just would and Christians wouldn't have to spend their time trying to convince us otherwise." anything he has done in the past you just discount anyway, why would anything he does now be any different. Venture I am going to pray for you. That you will cry out to know GOD. Because I do care what happens to you.

I think I got him riled up when I quoted Mother Goose as scripture.

Humpty Dumpty 1:1 and 1:2

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

EvolutionCalling

Another good quote from this argument:

QuoteI don’t believe in atheists. I understand that a small minority of humans claim that they don’t believe God exists. But I think it’s mostly pride, arrogance and sometimes ignorance that keep them in denial. All people have an awareness of God; some go to great lengths to suppress that awareness.

Whitney

I have come across a handful of theists (online) who claim they use to be atheists.  However, upon further questioning they are seldom able to explain what atheist arguments they no longer find valid or otherwise misrepresent the arguments.  In other words, although they might have been athesits, they were not rational atheists.

This is not to say that it is impossible for a rational person to convert to a religion...I just haven't personally met someone who used rational thought to support an atheist viewpoint then later found rational reasons to be a theist.

Msblue

There are so many holes in that theist's argument. People like are hopeless, logic just isn't their friend.

Asmodean

Here are some Asmodean-style responses.  :unsure: Uh... Whut?

Quote from: "EvolutionCalling"Humpty Dumpty 1:1 and 1:2

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

Indeed.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tanker

Asmoden I'm sure Evolution Calling can correct me if I'm wrong but your tearing holes in the argument he got to start this thread not his own beliefs, in other words he already in your quior so stop preaching. The humpty Dumpty part was his reponse to the above comment. I mean just read the guys name It screams atheist. Take a deep breath and realise that we are all on the same side the rare theist who come to this forum quickly leaves when their arguments are torn to shreads and they relise no one wants to hide their heads in the sand with them.

woosah woosah
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Graham

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I have come across a handful of theists (online) who claim they use to be atheists.  However, upon further questioning they are seldom able to explain what atheist arguments they no longer find valid or otherwise misrepresent the arguments.  In other words, although they might have been atheists, they were not rational atheists.

This is not to say that it is impossible for a rational person to convert to a religion...I just haven't personally met someone who used rational thought to support an atheist viewpoint then later found rational reasons to be a theist.

These theists who claim they used to be atheists were probably more like heathens. Am I right?

Asmodean

Quote from: "Tanker"Asmoden I'm sure Evolution Calling can correct me if I'm wrong but your tearing holes in the argument he got to start this thread not his own beliefs, in other words he already in your quior so stop preaching.
a-1: Which is why I started my comment with: "Here are some Asmodean-style responses. :raised:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tanker

My mistake sometimes when I read and write I miss words.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

EvolutionCalling

You guys crack me up.  Anyway, they have all but called me a troll over there and determined that I like to argue.  It's cool when they do it, but when I counter-point I'm just looking to start a fight.  Yeah, so maybe there's a little truth in there.