News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

How would you handle this situation?

Started by afreethinker30, July 26, 2008, 05:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afreethinker30

Having neighbor issues.We moved in about two years ago,a couple of days after moving in our neighbor started bringing her daughter over everyday.This kept on for awhile til her daughters behavior went from bad to worse.It came to her daughter not being allowed in my house anymore (she threw my kitten).There had been problems with her dog barking most of the day and night,but I didn't say anything until she started letting the dog run loose.She had a rot that attacked my mother in law and another rot that went after the town Sheriff.He shot the dog but the dog lived.She warned me about the dogs a couple of weeks after we moved in so I think I had good reason to worry.Her dog spent most of it's "freetime" in my yard.Once getting into a trash can,it wasn't pretty.After two and a half weeks I finally told her that I had been taking video of the dog being loose..with a time date stamp (AC told me to do so).And told her that if the dog was out again I would call AC to help.It happened again two days after I talked to her only this time we where coming home,pulled in the drive and the dog came after the car.I think she finally got the point after she seen me outside with a video camera.And it's been a couple of months since the dog has been out.But the nutcase is trying to cause problems.She adopted her daughter and the child doesn't know.But they took in the girl's sister and lied to the child telling her that a mother can only have one baby.I was ticked and explained to my son it wasn't true along with showing him pictures of the ultrasound and me pregnant.Then on Monday she came to my house trying to find something to harrass me over.Only thing she could think of is property lines.Which I have not planted flowers on which she is complaining about.I took pictures and have the plat of the land.I kept my cool and told her that we didn't want problems especially for my boys.But the nutcase addmitted she has been watching me when I'm outside.I do plan on calling the police next time she steps foot over here.And will videotape that to.But other then moving,or staying inside not sure what to do.If I didn't have children I would handle this alot differently.Just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions.We do plan on moving in a couple of years,the house is to big for us and I miss the city.

Edit: I did follow guidelines to post a video about it on youtube.Dogs don't have the same right to privacy as humans so it's all legal.
[youtube:3medz1wi]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nmCR11A3iY[/youtube:3medz1wi]

LSchune

It's always difficult in a situation like this, but I had had some experiences dealing with roaming dogs.  I've ridden horses since I could walk, and have seen many instances where loose dogs come over the farms and start harassing the horses, livestock, etc.  I even had a friend who, on her own property in her own BARN, had a neighbor's out of control dog back her 4yo daughter into a corner and not let her out until my friend went at the dog with a pitchfork and shovel.

Honestly, it sounds as though the neighbors do not care and will not begin to.  If you're out in the country, like I think you are, you may need to learn of the SSS clause.  Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up.  If the dog is on your property and harassing you/your property/your animals, most county ordinances allow you some leeway to protect yourself.  We absolutely cannot have wild dogs running our horses into the ground, or into the fences, or terrorizing the people on the property just because some schmuck refuses to keep the dog under control.

Or, if you find the dog on your property, you can do a catch n' dump.  Catch the dog, load it up in the truck, and drop it off at the local humane society.  According to you, the dog is an aggressive stray that comes onto your property all the time.  If the neighbor asks if you've seen their dog, just smile and say no.

Another option is a paint ball gun, with frozen rounds in it.  They won't leave a paint mark on the dog, as the paint balls are frozen, but those suckers sting and will teach a dog to stay off your property.
Steve, I am going to fucking kick your ass when I can find it.

"I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
Rebecca West

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Wh

afreethinker30

Yes im out in the country,we have strict leash laws here and most of the people around here abide by them.The law has gotten tougher after the attack of a little girl who had most of her face torn apart but an unleashed dog.The little girl lived but it's taken two years for her to be able to do normal things like eat and drink.As for SSS my neighbors rarely leave the house,they are paranoid about someone breaking in which is why they have the dog.If one leaves the other stays home.The part that ticks me off the most is when they had a house fire they came over here.I watched their child and even had food for the firefighters.It's time for me to stop being nice about it.

Steve Reason

Tell her she's not welcome on your property. Get a restraining order against her if she refuses to listen. And sue her if her dog causes any more problems. A trip to court or a night in jail will generally straighten people up pretty quickly. If she's completely nuts, move away, or wait until she does something crazy and lands some serious jail time.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Whitney

These dogs are a potential danger to your children, take all the video you have of them roaming free off their leashes and submit it to animal control.  If you can do so safely enough, take video of what happens when you go near the dogs when they are on your property.  Since the leash laws are strict in your area, it shouldn't take too much to get the law involved in taking care of the dog situation.  It would be best if they take the dogs away (Are their living conditions up to par?  If not, make a point to include that in your report to AC too.) so that you can have bark free night and days; but just getting them out of your yard should be the main priority.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "laetusatheos"These dogs are a potential danger to your children, take all the video you have of them roaming free off their leashes and submit it to animal control.  If you can do so safely enough, take video of what happens when you go near the dogs when they are on your property.  Since the leash laws are strict in your area, it shouldn't take too much to get the law involved in taking care of the dog situation.  It would be best if they take the dogs away (Are their living conditions up to par?  If not, make a point to include that in your report to AC too.) so that you can have bark free night and days; but just getting them out of your yard should be the main priority.

They have a total of 5 dogs I know she keeps 3 in her home and I have rarely seen them out.One that is close to my yard is kept in a cage 24/7 except when she lets him loose,as far as I know it hasn't been out since a couple of days after Easter.I'm trying to get the name of the Sheriff who had to shot the other dog I figure it will help when I talk to AC and my mother in law would be more then happy to talk to them about her attack.AC here won't remove the dogs unless they are kept in horrid conditions or very thin.I was attacked when I was younger so me even getting close to the dogs is out of the question.Two scars is more then enough for me  :eek:  .I do wonder about how the dogs are treated since they have had two attacks in so little time.

MommaSquid

afreethinker30, I just googled dog repellent and animal repellent.  There are several low-cost options available which may help you as long as you keep your own pets inside.  

My town has a designated barking dog line to make reports, so check with your town or local police. Once you check with authorities on the best way to report the problem, follow through every time it occurs.  Make sure the dog owners understand they (humans and canines) are not allowed on your property.  Post signs if necessary.

You could line your property with poisoned raw meat.  If the neighbor's dog just happens to come on your property to eat it....oops.    :devil:

Jolly Sapper

Of course depending on how much money you want to spend, a 12 gauge with some of the more expensive bean bag rounds.  Lots of noise and if you get your "english" right you can bounce the bag off the ground to reduce the physical damage it would do to the dog.  

Or else you can go the cheap route and get some 00buckshot (messy) or some slugs (messy and dangerous if you miss) to take care of anything threatening you on your property.

I'd imagine you'd want to do some research on what the local laws are regarding shooting nuisance animals though.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"Or else you can go the cheap route and get some 00buckshot (messy) or some slugs (messy and dangerous if you miss) to take care of anything threatening you on your property.

...and if you are in posession of some serious cash, you can strategically place a couple of these:

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"Of course depending on how much money you want to spend, a 12 gauge with some of the more expensive bean bag rounds.  Lots of noise and if you get your "english" right you can bounce the bag off the ground to reduce the physical damage it would do to the dog.  

Or else you can go the cheap route and get some 00buckshot (messy) or some slugs (messy and dangerous if you miss) to take care of anything threatening you on your property.

I'd imagine you'd want to do some research on what the local laws are regarding shooting nuisance animals though.

I have checked the law but am unsure on it.It only talks about cattle and biting.But I think its just plain dumb to have to wait until you are bitten.I found out I can go to court and have two other their dogs deemed dangerous which means each time they are loose they would be fined $500.But it's a matter of cost  :upset: for court expense.This makes me wish my mother in law would have taken them to court over her being attacked.Maybe they would have learned then.We have a friend who is on the force so I'm going to try to get ahold of him on the matter.I think he will be able to give me a better idea on how to handle everything.I'm going to talk to my hubsand about looking earlier into buying a different home.Hopefully we can figure a way to work it out.

Whitney

afree, how long ago was your mother attacked by these dogs.  It may still be possible to take the owner to court over it.  You just need to find out the statue of limitations on dog bits.

Jolly Sapper

IF you know of a friendly lawyer or if you're near enough to a university with a law program, I'd say you should try to pick their brains.  See if they can give you any information on cases dealing with similar circumstances.  Sometimes you can get some pretty good luck with a polite professional email/phone call to a professor, instructor, grad student when you need some help.

The word of the law may say one thing as far as legislation/regulation but if you have/want/need to go to court its probably going to be precedent set by other cases that will dictate the outcome of the trail.

Loffler

QuoteShe adopted her daughter and the child doesn't know.But they took in the girl's sister and lied to the child telling her that a mother can only have one baby.I was ticked and explained to my son it wasn't true along with showing him pictures of the ultrasound and me pregnant.

I don't understand this part.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Loffler"
QuoteShe adopted her daughter and the child doesn't know.But they took in the girl's sister and lied to the child telling her that a mother can only have one baby.I was ticked and explained to my son it wasn't true along with showing him pictures of the ultrasound and me pregnant.

I don't understand this part.

She has a daughter that she adopted and she never told the child she isn't her real mother.The girls real mother asked them to take in her half sister and the little girl was confused.So she told her daughter that a mother can only have one baby at a time.And that she has to adopt another child if she wants anymore children.Which made my youngest son think that he wasn't really mine.He thought since a mom can only have one baby in her life that he was adopted to.

Our cop friend told us the SSS rule to lol.He did say that calling animal control will be the best thing.First time they will be warned but after that they start giving out fines the more it happens the higher it gets.And if it keeps up they just take the animal.He said if it keeps barking at night to call the police that they have gotten alot better on handling this because there are noise laws here.And I could have her arrested if she keeps coming on my property.So that makes me feel alot better.I still plan on moving but that will be after I get thru school.

Smarmy Of One

The best thing to do is contact the local Humane Society. Letting dogs loose and letting them attack people is a form of animal abuse. As is keeping them penned in your back yard and letting them bark all hours.

You have more than enough evidence to present to the Humane Society. I don't know how it works in Indiana, but in Canada, the Humane Society will take the animals from the owner and animal control will fine them. Especially for the killed kitten story. They can get in big trouble for that.

I know that you mentioned that Animal Control won't do anything unless the animals are being kept in poor conditions, but is that an assumption or have you actually spoken to them? A sheriff having to shoot one of your neighbor's dogs seems to qualify as pretty poor conditions in my book.

A friend of mine had an issue with his neighbor and their 3 rots. They left the dogs in the yard for days on end, howling and barking and they never cleaned up the crap. My friend's whole house wreaked of feces on hot summer days. He called the Humane Society and they removed the pets from the house. They were fined and told they were no longer allowed to keep dogs. They were fined for animal abuse and they were also fined for unsanitary conditions on their property. They had 30 days to clean their yard, which they did.

Is there a Humane Society in Indiana?

Also contacting child services might help. It sounds like those kids are not in a very safe environment.