News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Searching for a name for new puppy

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 27, 2021, 02:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

So, there's going to be a new addition to the pack in mid-March, a male German Shepherd puppy named...named... :notsure:

I came up with a list but people have found issues with each of my suggestions. In the order I thought of them:

Loki -  God of mischief sounds perfect, but what if he's turns out to be an obedient dog?
Finn - People have a difficult time saying this, comes out as 'Finny'
Duque (Duke) - "Too aristocratic", my mother said.
Alex - short for Alexander, meaning 'protector of mankind'. "Too common".
Jaeger - "Wut?" said my mother. "How about Hunter instead?"
Iago - I think this is a nice-looking word but a Shakespearean villain just isn't a good fit.

*deep breath*

Kaiser - "Like the beer?"
Skyler - "Meh."
Benji - "Small dog name"
Kenji - means 'strong and vigorous' in Japanese. Mom:  ::)
Asher - "What, as in 'Ash'?"

The list goes on...

She suggested Argos based on Odysseus's dog of Homer's The Iliad. It's different...and nerdy, so that gets a plus from me. :grin: I'm still undecided, though.  :-\

Anyone have any suggestions? It can be in other languages other than English, too. Preferably 2 syllables at most.

What I know about the pup is he's going to be strong and determined, according to the breeder, and both his parents are mostly black with a bit of brown on their legs and chest. It's likely nameless will be similarly coloured.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

Eye-Byte (I bite)
Scooby (From the cartoon - not sure what kind of dog Scooby is anyway.)
Schweinhund - (German for pig-dog. Well, he is a German Sheppard, right? Never mind.)

I don't know. I'm the person who named a cat once called "Meow". Well, I asked the cat what it wanted to be called and she said, "Meow." So Meow it was.

Anyway, pay no attention to me,
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Rolf. I picture you standing on the porch, calling him.  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on January 27, 2021, 02:57:04 PM
Eye-Byte (I bite)
Scooby (From the cartoon - not sure what kind of dog Scooby is anyway.)
Schweinhund - (German for pig-dog. Well, he is a German Sheppard, right? Never mind.)

I don't know. I'm the person who named a cat once called "Meow". Well, I asked the cat what it wanted to be called and she said, "Meow." So Meow it was.

Anyway, pay no attention to me,

iByte :grin:

Well, he has a microchip, so... :lol:

LOL When I was young I would help and feed stray and feral dogs on the street and named one of them 'Dog' just because I wasn't able to come up with another name. :lol: Meow is a good one! Perhaps it means something in Cattish. :grin:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 27, 2021, 02:58:13 PM
Rolf. I picture you standing on the porch, calling him.  ;D

Heheh, that would be pronounced 'Holfy' around here, and that sounds a bit like a sneeze. :grin:

Sandra Craft

Too bad it's not another female so I could suggest "Hope".

How about Ajax -- yes, I know, the cleanser, but I like the way it sounds.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on January 27, 2021, 10:52:18 PM
Too bad it's not another female so I could suggest "Hope".

How about Ajax -- yes, I know, the cleanser, but I like the way it sounds.

I like Hope! :tellmemore: It's a good name.

I like Ajax too (Ájax, in Portuguese, would sound a little different). Rolls off the tongue. Easier to shout than 'Argos'. :snicker:

Icarus

Please pardon my sad and still angry recollection of an episode in the not too distant past.  It involves a dog. The dogs name was Deeogee That is a combination of the letters D,O,G  He was a helluva lot more than a deeogee

K9s are important members of our police and sheriff departments.  One of our heroic  Alsatian cops was an official officer of my sherriff's department.

A sheriff deputy and his dog stopped a speeder. The speeder was revealed to be a vicious criminal with a long rap sheet.  The perp shot the sheriff, K9 partner dog attacked the perp.  The bad guy shot and killed the dog too. That did not sit well with the local citizens, including me, and even less well with the sheriffs deputies.  They chased the perp through a thick woods until they found him hiding under a huge fallen log.  64 shots later the bad guy will never kill another sheriff or another dog.

The sheriff deputy was a veteran cop who was publicly regarded as a good and decent guy.  The dog was his constant and beloved partner.  The dog got every bit as much respect and tears as his human companion did. Rightfully so.

Both the deputy and his dog were buried with full military honors. In Florida a K9 is a fully accredited officer of the law. Deeogee will be long remembered. 

Silver, if you name him Ajax, the contraction will become; Jax or Jack. . That is a good and honorable name for a loyal companion.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

No one

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 27, 2021, 02:41:48 PM
So, there's going to be a new addition to the pack in mid-March, a male German Shepherd puppy named...named... :notsure:

I came up with a list but people have found issues with each of my suggestions. In the order I thought of them:

Loki -  God of mischief sounds perfect, but what if he's turns out to be an obedient dog?

Odin?   :notsure:
Or
Odie.
Odie, the fictional dog who appears in the comic strip Garfield by Jim Davis.
;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 28, 2021, 01:35:18 AM
Please pardon my sad and still angry recollection of an episode in the not too distant past.  It involves a dog. The dogs name was Deeogee That is a combination of the letters D,O,G  He was a helluva lot more than a deeogee

K9s are important members of our police and sheriff departments.  One of our heroic  Alsatian cops was an official officer of my sherriff's department.

A sheriff deputy and his dog stopped a speeder. The speeder was revealed to be a vicious criminal with a long rap sheet.  The perp shot the sheriff, K9 partner dog attacked the perp.  The bad guy shot and killed the dog too. That did not sit well with the local citizens, including me, and even less well with the sheriffs deputies.  They chased the perp through a thick woods until they found him hiding under a huge fallen log.  64 shots later the bad guy will never kill another sheriff or another dog.

The sheriff deputy was a veteran cop who was publicly regarded as a good and decent guy.  The dog was his constant and beloved partner.  The dog got every bit as much respect and tears as his human companion did. Rightfully so.

Both the deputy and his dog were buried with full military honors. In Florida a K9 is a fully accredited officer of the law. Deeogee will be long remembered. 

Silver, if you name him Ajax, the contraction will become; Jax or Jack. . That is a good and honorable name for a loyal companion.

Can't say I sympathise with the perp in this case.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 28, 2021, 03:02:56 AM
Of course, I like Loki, because some see him as the Norse equivalent of Hermes,

https://mythologycomparison1321.weebly.com/comparing-hermes--loki.html

I also like Loki! :grin: It was my first choice, but then along comes my mother and poisons it by saying it sounds too much like 'louco/louca' (crazy).  ::) 

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on January 28, 2021, 05:47:56 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 27, 2021, 02:41:48 PM

Odin?   :notsure:
Or
Odie.
Odie, the fictional dog who appears in the comic strip Garfield by Jim Davis.
;D

I like Odin! But it sounds quite different and better in English than in Portuguese (something like, Oh-Geen, with the G as in George). :sad sigh: 

Odie is a cute name! :grin: :notes:

OH-GEE! COME HERE RIGHT NOW OH-GEE! :foottap: