News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Searching for a name for new puppy

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 27, 2021, 02:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 28, 2021, 12:16:06 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 28, 2021, 05:47:56 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 27, 2021, 02:41:48 PM
So, there's going to be a new addition to the pack in mid-March, a male German Shepherd puppy named...named... :notsure:

I came up with a list but people have found issues with each of my suggestions. In the order I thought of them:

Loki -  God of mischief sounds perfect, but what if he's turns out to be an obedient dog?

Odin?   :notsure:
Or
Odie.
Odie, the fictional dog who appears in the comic strip Garfield by Jim Davis.
;D

I like Odin! But it sounds quite different and better in English than in Portuguese (something like, Oh-Geen, with the G as in George). :sad sigh: 

Odie is a cute name! :grin: :notes:

OH-GEE! COME HERE RIGHT NOW OH-GEE! :foottap:
How about Belvadere? I don't know how it is spelled but it sounds regal.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on January 28, 2021, 03:38:44 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 28, 2021, 12:16:06 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 28, 2021, 05:47:56 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 27, 2021, 02:41:48 PM
So, there's going to be a new addition to the pack in mid-March, a male German Shepherd puppy named...named... :notsure:

I came up with a list but people have found issues with each of my suggestions. In the order I thought of them:

Loki -  God of mischief sounds perfect, but what if he's turns out to be an obedient dog?

Odin?   :notsure:
Or
Odie.
Odie, the fictional dog who appears in the comic strip Garfield by Jim Davis.
;D

I like Odin! But it sounds quite different and better in English than in Portuguese (something like, Oh-Geen, with the G as in George). :sad sigh: 

Odie is a cute name! :grin: :notes:

OH-GEE! COME HERE RIGHT NOW OH-GEE! :foottap:
How about Belvadere? I don't know how it is spelled but it sounds regal.

That's a pretty name, but one syllable too long, I think.  :( Where did you get it from? :tellmemore:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

No one

Icarus

Choose a name that is easily enunciated and a name that has a dominant first syllable.  This is for the benefit of easy recognition by the dog.  A sound with a structure such as "Bolo" or something of the sort.

One of my beloved dogs was given the registry name; Midwatch Helmsman.  We never called him by that name, he was Sailor.   The registry name was appropriate because he did take care of things during the night. His call name, Sailor,  was all wrong because he did not like riding in boats at all.

xSilverPhinx

These are the parents:

(Left pic is the mother and the father is on the right)

Aren't they beautiful? :tellmemore: I had never seen a German Shepherd dog with that kind of colour pattern before, apparently they're called "bicolour".  8)

The breeder will send me pics of the puppy this weekend, probably, after he selects the right one for me.

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 28, 2021, 08:47:31 PM
Choose a name that is easily enunciated and a name that has a dominant first syllable.  This is for the benefit of easy recognition by the dog.  A sound with a structure such as "Bolo" or something of the sort.

One of my beloved dogs was given the registry name; Midwatch Helmsman.  We never called him by that name, he was Sailor.   The registry name was appropriate because he did take care of things during the night. His call name, Sailor,  was all wrong because he did not like riding in boats at all.

Good naming tip!  :thumbsup2:

No one

this guy:
Miura

Argentium:
Isn't that a car?

Yes, an exotic one.

xSilverPhinx

billy rubin

hmmn

i dunno what to name a dog until you know he's like.

here's the dogs iv've had, in reverse order of appearance

harley
ygmir
death
major
jack
turner
monkey david
bluto
dump dog
curtiss
coalie
fletcher
phoca
hansel
gretel
princess

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on January 28, 2021, 09:38:54 PM
hmmn

i dunno what to name a dog until you know he's like.

here's the dogs iv've had, in reverse order of appearance

harley
ygmir
death
major
jack
turner
monkey david
bluto
dump dog
curtiss
coalie
fletcher
phoca
hansel
gretel
princess

Makes sense to name a dog after you know what it's like, but namelessness gives me anxiety, heheh.

Hmm...Valium. :notsure:

Probably not.  ;D

billy rubin

lol

q
i once read of a man who had a dog named 'Cough, becuse she was always underfoot on the stairs

set the function, not the mechanism.

No one