News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Another "New Atheist" question

Started by Atheist Mother, July 05, 2008, 06:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheist Mother

I have been saying things like "Bless you" when people sneeze for twenty some years.  How do I stop that?  What should I say instead?  

How about things like "for christ's sake" (yes, I was a sinning christian!).

I thought about saying something atheistic in another language for the sneezing, maybe something most people wouldn't undertand but thank me for.
“Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions”  - Jerry Falwell
“I want three words [on my tombstone]: 'Woman, Atheist, Anarchist'. That's me ”- Madalyn Murray O'Hair

EvolutionCalling

i just hand them a bottle of hand sanitizer. (yes i keep one in my pocket.  ocd style.)

Asmodean

I see no need to reply to a sneeze, so I say nothing.  :cool:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

afreethinker30

Ha I won't tell you what I say.But I don't see why you should have to change things that you say.I say bless you,along with the occasional Jesus H. Christ.

Will

I say "salute", which is a common reply in Spanish and other Latin based languages. It has absolutely no theological connotations and is generally understood.

I do still say "god damn it" from time to time, but it's more of an exclamation.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

susangail

I say "bless you" and "oh my god" (occasionally, I just recently de-converted and that one is a big no-no) and I'm not planning on skipping the "Merry Christmas" to my (Christian) family. It's too much of an inconvenience to break life-long habits, as stuck-up as that sounds. But it's completely up to you. If you don't want to say "bless you", "salute" (as Will suggested) or "gesundheit" would be interesting alternatives. "For goodness sake" is a good alternative to "for Christ's sake" (shame shame!). You choose where to draw the line.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

crocofish

Gesundheit is a common response to a sneeze (the German word for "health").

I still find myself saying "bless you", even though it does not have a deeper meaning to me than just politeness.  I have also been known to say "god dammit" and "oh lord".  I assume I just absorbed it from other people and TV.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

Chimera

Do like Dane Cook suggested, say "Nothing happens when you die."

LOL

But seriously, I usually don't say anything.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Asmodean

Quote from: "susangail"I say "bless you" and "oh my god" (occasionally, I just recently de-converted and that one is a big no-no) and I'm not planning on skipping the "Merry Christmas" to my (Christian) family. It's too much of an inconvenience to break life-long habits, as stuck-up as that sounds. But it's completely up to you. If you don't want to say "bless you", "salute" (as Will suggested) or "gesundheit" would be interesting alternatives. "For goodness sake" is a good alternative to "for Christ's sake" (shame shame!). You choose where to draw the line.
There is really nothing wrong with wishing someone a merry Christmas. For me, Christmas have always meant being free from school/work, sitting at home and watchign crappy TV shows. And I have always taken "Merry Christmas" to mean the same as "Have fun sitting on your lazy behind in front of the screens"

Oh, and I use to say "my f****** god" too sometimes. But that is usually deliberate when discussing something with theists  :cool:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

susangail

Quote from: "Chimera"Do like Dane Cook suggested, say "Nothing happens when you die."

LOL
I love that one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L0G1DGCWwI
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

susangail

Quote from: "Asmodean"There is really nothing wrong with wishing someone a merry Christmas. For me, Christmas have always meant being free from school/work, sitting at home and watchign crappy TV shows. And I have always taken "Merry Christmas" to mean the same as "Have fun sitting on your lazy behind in front of the screens"
Yeah, I find nothing wrong with it either. Some insist on "Happy holidays" though, to be "politically correct". I alternate, keep it exciting.

McQ

Quote from: "Atheist Mother"I have been saying things like "Bless you" when people sneeze for twenty some years.  How do I stop that?  What should I say instead?  

How about things like "for christ's sake" (yes, I was a sinning christian!).

I thought about saying something atheistic in another language for the sneezing, maybe something most people wouldn't undertand but thank me for.

"If you want to make a person feel better after they sneeze, you shouldn't say 'God bless you.' You should say 'You're so good looking!'"
    - Jerry Seinfeld, in "The Good Samaritan" episode.

Yes, I say it. It turns heads like you wouldn't believe. And my wife hates it, which makes it even more fun.  :D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MommaSquid

I either say 'gesundheit' or nothing at all, depending upon the situation.

Tom62

I also say "Gesundheit", because I'm living in Germany. When I'm visiting my relatives in the Netherlands, I either say "gezondheid" or "proost" (which is the Dutch word for cheers).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

MariaEvri

well i will say "bless u" and I will yell "jesus" when Im angry, but I dont actually say it cause I believe in them. Its just a habit, and a "matter-of-speach" same as ehm well "fuck you" we dont actually mean we wanna have sex with the person (most of thetimes at least )
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com