News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Another "New Atheist" question

Started by Atheist Mother, July 05, 2008, 06:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane

Well, for a sneeze, I usually say "all right?"  (as in "are you all right?, not as in "woohoo! Allright!!"   Not as a sub for "bless you" - but just because it seems polite to inquire after their health/ show sympathy if they're all sick or hayfever-y.

For the other, you could take a page from the Irish, who really like "For F**k's Sake!"   ;)

Whitney

I think you should say whatever you want to say or not say what you don't want to say.

Terms, such as "bless you" have taken on such a secular usage that they maintain little of their original intent (they use to think that when you sneeze demons could get into you...so they said bless you as a protective phrase).  Now it is just something people say out of tradition and to be polite.  

You could say Gesundheit instead of bless you.  I had a friend who did that because he thought the story behind why people say bless you was stupid (which it is).

If saying words with a religious background bothers you, try what some suggest for bad habbits  Place a rubber band on your wrist and if you catch yourself saying a word you don't want to use snap yourself with the rubber band.  The intent is not to inflict pain, just to associate a slightly negative feeling with the use of those words.

Atheist Mother

Quote from: "laetusatheos"If saying words with a religious background bothers you, try what some suggest for bad habbits  Place a rubber band on your wrist and if you catch yourself saying a word you don't want to use snap yourself with the rubber band.  The intent is not to inflict pain, just to associate a slightly negative feeling with the use of those words.

Sort of like a shock collar...  good advice.  

Thanks for the advice guys.  I hate feeling more hypocritical then I need to.  Secular or not, saying the words "bless you" makes me feel like a hypocrite.
“Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions”  - Jerry Falwell
“I want three words [on my tombstone]: 'Woman, Atheist, Anarchist'. That's me ”- Madalyn Murray O'Hair

Smallville

Quote from: "Atheist Mother"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"If saying words with a religious background bothers you, try what some suggest for bad habbits  Place a rubber band on your wrist and if you catch yourself saying a word you don't want to use snap yourself with the rubber band.  The intent is not to inflict pain, just to associate a slightly negative feeling with the use of those words.

Sort of like a shock collar...  good advice.  

Thanks for the advice guys.  I hate feeling more hypocritical then I need to.  Secular or not, saying the words "bless you" makes me feel like a hypocrite.

No need in feeling hypocritical. The American heritage Dictionary, 4th ed., lists "bless you" as an idiom:

"bless you
 Used to wish good health to a person who has just sneezed."

There's no religious connotation involved.
Two wrongs don't make a right but three left turns will.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." â€" Nietzsche
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." - Clarence Darrow

susangail

Quote from: "Smallville"
Quote from: "Atheist Mother"I hate feeling more hypocritical then I need to.  Secular or not, saying the words "bless you" makes me feel like a hypocrite.

No need in feeling hypocritical. The American heritage Dictionary, 4th ed., lists "bless you" as an idiom:

"bless you
 Used to wish good health to a person who has just sneezed."

There's no religious connotation involved.
I agree. I think "God bless you" could be seen as hypocritical, but hardly anyone sees "bless you" as a religious phrase. It seems like almost a good luck thing or tradition maybe. I find it hilarious actually.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Asmodean

Come to think of it... How's about "Devil bless you"? Devils are cool, no?  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

susangail

Quote from: "Asmodean"Come to think of it... How's about "Devil bless you"? Devils are cool, no?  :D
Sweet!  

"ah-choo!"
"Satan bless you."
*gasp!*  

Love it.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Msblue

I do the same. I use "Bless you" Jesus Christ and OMG often. They don't have a have a religious meaning to me.

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "Msblue"I do the same. I use "Bless you" Jesus Christ and OMG often. They don't have a have a religious meaning to me.
Here, here!

They're just words that so happen to have symbolic (i.e. no intrinsic meaning) to some people and therefore shouldn't make you feel a hypocrite.  I use " Jesus F****** NAIL HOLES" as my expletive of choice, its very cathartic.