News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

When I die ..

Started by afreethinker30, July 02, 2008, 07:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Willravel"
Quote from: "susangail"That's a nice idea. I like it. Wouldn't the casket get in the way though? Unless you get a wood one I guess.
Muslims are buried in cloths, which actually assists in a faster decomposition. I might opt to do that.

I wonder what the embalming fluid would do to the tree though.Not sure if you have to be embalmed here?

susangail

Quote from: "Chimera"I read a book called Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, and it was very eye-opening and informative about the various ways one could make their body useful after they've died. There was one part that mentioned an operation in Sweden that, like, freezes the body (I'd have to dig out the book to find out for sure) and then uses it as a source of mulch or something. I liked that idea. I've thought that being buried under a sapling or a tree would be a beautiful legacy.
I've seen that one at the book store. I may consider buying it now...

I read a book called Grave Matters. It is more about the funeral process in the eyes of a funeral director, but I found it beyond interesting. It gives you the laws on burials and the like, as well as an in-depth look into the processes of embalming and cremation. Typical funeral prices are included as well.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

susangail

Quote from: "afreethinker30"
Quote from: "susangail"That's a nice idea. I like it. Wouldn't the casket get in the way though? Unless you get a wood one I guess.
Muslims are buried in cloths, which actually assists in a faster decomposition. I might opt to do that.

I wonder what the embalming fluid would do to the tree though.Not sure if you have to be embalmed here?
It would probably do some damage. Formaldehyde isn't usually too environmentally-friendly. Embalming isn't legally required though.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Chimera

Stiff is really good, I'd recommend it especially if you're considering going into mortuary science.

My dad thought I was going to become a goth when he caught me reading it.  :|
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

susangail

Quote from: "Chimera"Stiff is really good, I'd recommend it especially if you're considering going into mortuary science.

My dad thought I was going to become a goth when he caught me reading it.  ;)
But thanks. I'm headed to the book store today so I'll check it out. What section would it be under?

Chimera

I think I just found it in the nonfiction section...it had just been released when I got it, so it was on a special display. Barnes & Noble online has it under Science.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

susangail

Quote from: "Chimera"I think I just found it in the nonfiction section...it had just been released when I got it, so it was on a special display. Barnes & Noble online has it under Science.
Sweet. I was planning on going there. Thanks!

Will

Quote from: "afreethinker30"I wonder what the embalming fluid would do to the tree though.Not sure if you have to be embalmed here?
No need. I'd like to be in my favorite suit, then wrapped in simple cloth. In Islam, the cloth is known as kafan, I believe, and those are used commonly in the US (which suggests that it's legal).

I'd really like a funeral pyre, but those are illegal in the US. Being placed under a tree as sustenance is a nice plan b.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "afreethinker30"I wonder what the embalming fluid would do to the tree though.Not sure if you have to be embalmed here?
No need. I'd like to be in my favorite suit, then wrapped in simple cloth. In Islam, the cloth is known as kafan, I believe, and those are used commonly in the US (which suggests that it's legal).

I'd really like a funeral pyre, but those are illegal in the US. Being placed under a tree as sustenance is a nice plan b.

And it is a beautiful one.To be one with nature forever.

EvolutionCalling

I want to be dropped into a pit of grizzly bears so they can fight over me.

joeactor

When I die (now, don't think I'm a nut)
Don't want no fancy funeral...
Just one like ole' King Tut!

Meh, stuck in the ground, shot into space, burned, frozen, or compacted... It's not gonna matter much to me!

I would like to look into the organ donation and medical research avenues - they both seem like very good things...

JoeActor
(buried in his jammies)

Asmodean

Quote from: "Willravel"I've asked that I be buried under an oak sapling and that the sapling be my gravestone. I like the idea of my body being sustenance for a developing organism. And I like oak trees.

That's nice. I like it  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

myleviathan

I either want to be a mummy, or put on display at one of those body exhibitions. That would be sweet.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

leftyguitarjoe

oohh!!

I want my body to be turned into a modern art piece :D