News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Silly Science (Neanderthals in the News Derail)

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 11, 2019, 01:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on November 04, 2019, 10:00:00 PM
whoever said that science had to be serious?

Scientists are jesters and clowns, it is known.  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 11, 2019, 01:48:48 PM

The university research labs I worked in as a student were a hybrid of The Goon Show and Monty Python.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 11, 2019, 03:05:40 PM

The university research labs I worked in as a student were a hybrid of The Goon Show and Monty Python.

Same! It's amazing anybody gets any work done... :chin: 

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 11, 2019, 04:26:06 PM

I used to put liquid nitrogen in a plastic bottle, close the top tightly, put it under someone's chair, and wait for the bang. Another guy loved to make NI3 and spread it on the floor in the evening. By the next morning it was, of course, dry.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 11, 2019, 04:44:34 PM

I used to put liquid nitrogen in a plastic bottle, close the top tightly, put it under someone's chair, and wait for the bang. Another guy loved to make NI3 and spread it on the floor in the evening. By the next morning it was, of course, dry.

:tellmemore: That liquid nitrogen prank is a good idea...

:devil:

:sadshake: No, I can't pull that one on somebody, I'm the serious one of the group. :sad sigh:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 11, 2019, 04:53:48 PM
Quote from: billy rub

/quote]

:sadshake: No, I can't pull that one on somebody, I'm the serious one of the group. :sad sigh:

Sorry, but the googly eyes give the game away.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 11, 2019, 05:29:41 PM
Quote from: billy rubin

What, these googly eyes?

:shifty:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 11, 2019, 05:55:38 PM

What, these googly eyes?

Yes, and we are in serious trouble for derailing this serious thread, so we'd better stop.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 11, 2019, 06:01:15 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 11, 2019, 05:55:38 PM

What, these googly eyes?

Yes, and we are in serious trouble for derailing this serious thread, so we'd better stop.

Yeah, I was thinking of splitting the derail into its own space before Recusant saw what had happened to his thread. I was just letting it grow a little, you know, living dangerously. Just a little.  :whistling:

:P

But please, more stories of lab adventures! :tellmemore:

Dark Lightning

When I was a senior in high school, at the awards assembly at year-end, some wags had got into the auditorium and painted NI3 in many spots on the floor. The random popping was driving the faculty nuts, but those of us in the know of the why of the noise just smiled quietly. I was not one of those wags, that time.

hermes2015

Part of my PhD research involved looking at the photolytic fissioning of very unstable O-I bonds in acyl hypoiodite compounds. They are so unstable that I had to work in the lab at night in total darkness (literally and figuratively!); even the red darkroom lights used when developing and printing B&W films caused the O-I bonds to break. On many occasions I caused near heart failure in people who came walking into the lab looking for a light switch, when they encountered an apparition in a white lab coat.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 11, 2019, 06:22:58 PM

When I was a senior in high school, at the awards assembly at year-end, some wags had got into the auditorium and painted NI3 in many spots on the floor. The random popping was driving the faculty nuts, but those of us in the know of the why of the noise just smiled quietly. I was not one of those wags, that time.

That's a good one...good one... :notes:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 11, 2019, 06:29:55 PM
Part of my PhD research involved looking at the photolytic fissioning of very unstable O-I bonds in acyl hypoiodite compounds. They are so unstable that I had to work in the lab at night in total darkness (literally and figuratively!); even the red darkroom lights used when developing and printing B&W films caused the O-I bonds to break. On many occasions I caused near heart failure in people who came walking into the lab looking for a light switch, when they encountered an apparition in a white lab coat.

Ha!  ;D

I don't sneak up on people but end up scaring them quite often. They turn around and see that I'm right there and jump in fright, or are startled when I suddenly voice greetings to the back of their head. :notsure: At the lab I've learnt to speak softly to let them know I'm there when they don't see me approaching, especially when they're carrying or mixing reagents because otherwise they're sure to drop them.

billy rubin

when i was a student i broke into one of my professorz officez through the drop ceiling and released six or eight milk bottlez full of various drozophila mutants. red eyes, white eyez, as many kinds as i could. then i zprinkled flightless curly winged mutantz all over his desk and retreated.

i had expected them to stay in there and puzzle him, but inztead they were all sucked into the ventilation syztem, which was shared over five floors of labz and offices.

the next day the entire building was infested with a minor plague of mutant fruit fliez, and the they were all over the doughnuts in the departmental office.

i admitted nothing.

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on November 11, 2019, 07:33:03 PM
when i was a student i broke into one of my professorz officez through the drop ceiling and released six or eight milk bottlez full of various drozophila mutants. red eyes, white eyez, as many kinds as i could. then i zprinkled flightless curly winged mutantz all over his desk and retreated.

i had expected them to stay in there and puzzle him, but inztead they were all sucked into the ventilation syztem, which was shared over five floors of labz and offices.

the next day the entire building was infested with a minor plague of mutant fruit fliez, and the they were all over the doughnuts in the departmental office.

i admitted nothing.

:rofl: