News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

discrimination against atheists

Started by Happysmiley, June 25, 2008, 04:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

Man, you need to move away from that place....
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Chimera

Well, as I've mentioned before on this forum, my parents are anti-atheists. I don't think my mom really understands why, other than that belief in God is "normal" and not believing in God, or practicing something other than Christianity is "not normal." My dad believes atheists and others have been duped by Satan and have fallen under the influence of demons, and that they are corrupt and lowly individuals. One day, I was watching TV with my dad and he was looking for a movie to watch. There was one that sounded pretty good to me, I'd heard good things about it, but my dad refused, because Richard Attenborough was in it. I asked why that was an issue, and he answered, "Because he's an atheist."

I can only imagine what he'd think of me if he knew I'm one, too.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

susangail

Quote from: "Chimera"Well, as I've mentioned before on this forum, my parents are anti-atheists. I don't think my mom really understands why, other than that belief in God is "normal" and not believing in God, or practicing something other than Christianity is "not normal." My dad believes atheists and others have been duped by Satan and have fallen under the influence of demons, and that they are corrupt and lowly individuals. One day, I was watching TV with my dad and he was looking for a movie to watch. There was one that sounded pretty good to me, I'd heard good things about it, but my dad refused, because Richard Attenborough was in it. I asked why that was an issue, and he answered, "Because he's an atheist."

That's ridiculous. It reminds me of when a bunch of Christian got mad because the leading actor in this Christian movie was gay. Or the "Mary" in a Jesus movie was really pregnant (so she wasn't a virgin like "Mary"). *groan*

I commend you for not losing your mind with that environment.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "susangail"
Quote from: "Chimera"Well, as I've mentioned before on this forum, my parents are anti-atheists. I don't think my mom really understands why, other than that belief in God is "normal" and not believing in God, or practicing something other than Christianity is "not normal." My dad believes atheists and others have been duped by Satan and have fallen under the influence of demons, and that they are corrupt and lowly individuals. One day, I was watching TV with my dad and he was looking for a movie to watch. There was one that sounded pretty good to me, I'd heard good things about it, but my dad refused, because Richard Attenborough was in it. I asked why that was an issue, and he answered, "Because he's an atheist."

That's ridiculous. It reminds me of when a bunch of Christian got mad because the leading actor in this Christian movie was gay. Or the "Mary" in a Jesus movie was really pregnant (so she wasn't a virgin like "Mary"). *groan*

I remember hearing about that movie.Its the movie about the missionaries I think they were killed overseas or something??

susangail

Quote from: "afreethinker30"I remember hearing about that movie.Its the movie about the missionaries I think they were killed overseas or something??
Yeah, it's called End of the Spear. Great movie, though it was awhile ago that I saw it... I probably wouldn't like it now.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Chimera

Thanks susangail. I'd like to commend you too, for putting up with all the weirdness in your house concerning your beliefs (or lack thereof). I'm 24 and I don't know that I'd have the wherewithal to put up with it.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

susangail

Quote from: "Chimera"Thanks susangail. I'd like to commend you too, for putting up with all the weirdness in your house concerning your beliefs (or lack thereof). I'm 24 and I don't know that I'd have the wherewithal to put up with it.
Your welcome and thank you!

karadan

Not right. Not right at all...

Do your parents love you? I'm guessing they do.. Well, what if you were to leave? Just up and go one day (assuming you are older than 16 of course). Probably a very difficult thing for you to do but if you did just disappear, their worry would eventually lead them to question certain things. Of course, they aren't going to convert to atheism, but they'd certainly begin to search other options, i'm sure. If you take the thing someone loves the most away from them, the void in their lives creates the desire for change. Could be the beginning of the road to recovery.

If, of course, they are just too far entrenched in their beliefs, as harsh as it sounds, maybe you need to leave and never look back. That's obviously easy for me to say because i'm not in the position you are. The unfortunately reality is, your parents only deal with absolutes. Black and white. The only way to combat that is with absolutes.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Loffler

Well, why do you have a Pan statue? Pan is where Christians got their image of a horned Satan, and if you had a saint statue in your garden I'd probably think you were a Catholic.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "karadan"Man, you need to move away from that place....

Well I love my home.Plus it was 140 but we got it 60k cheaper and no issues with the house either.I have been enjoying not having the neighbors brat around.She is spoiled why does a 7 year old need a cellphone and 80 gig Zune?And after I told the neighbor I have been taping them letting the dog out unleashed the dog hasn't been let out without one for a few weeks. :banna:

Happysmiley

All this stuff is great, it's hard to believe how hung-up on religion some people can be.  

I've decided to tell a few friends about my atheism (some of who are very religious) and get a response from them today or tomorrow while i'm at this 'get ready for high school' camp. I would like to wait until august, when school starts, because I have some certain fundementalists in mind who would be extremely crude, but ah well. sometime this week, before starting the video.  Then I'll go out into the forest behind my house and record the narration. Then I'm just going to have to wait until my parents and brother are out of the house before I put it together.  

Well, it's late over here, so goodnight!

susangail

Quote from: "Happysmiley"All this stuff is great, it's hard to believe how hung-up on religion some people can be.  

I've decided to tell a few friends about my atheism (some of who are very religious) and get a response from them today or tomorrow while i'm at this 'get ready for high school' camp. I would like to wait until august, when school starts, because I have some certain fundementalists in mind who would be extremely crude, but ah well. sometime this week, before starting the video.  Then I'll go out into the forest behind my house and record the narration. Then I'm just going to have to wait until my parents and brother are out of the house before I put it together.  

Well, it's late over here, so goodnight!
Wow, you're committed. Can't wait!

Chimera

Quote from: "karadan"

Not right. Not right at all...

Do your parents love you? I'm guessing they do.. Well, what if you were to leave? Just up and go one day (assuming you are older than 16 of course). Probably a very difficult thing for you to do but if you did just disappear, their worry would eventually lead them to question certain things. Of course, they aren't going to convert to atheism, but they'd certainly begin to search other options, i'm sure. If you take the thing someone loves the most away from them, the void in their lives creates the desire for change. Could be the beginning of the road to recovery.

If, of course, they are just too far entrenched in their beliefs, as harsh as it sounds, maybe you need to leave and never look back. That's obviously easy for me to say because i'm not in the position you are. The unfortunately reality is, your parents only deal with absolutes. Black and white. The only way to combat that is with absolutes.

My relationship with my parents has always been good, thought it's been strained lately due to my being unemployed at the moment (for psychological reasons) and my unwillingness to seek "spiritual guidance" for my depression. My dad is certain I have demons in me.   :|

susangail

Quote from: "Chimera"My relationship with my parents has always been good, thought it's been strained lately due to my being unemployed at the moment (for psychological reasons) and my unwillingness to seek "spiritual guidance" for my depression. My dad is certain I have demons in me.   :|
Have you considered medical "guidance" or would your parents not be cool with that? (I know my dad wanted me to ditch my therapist and talk to someone at the church...) If it's keeping you from working, you may want to get it checked out.

Chimera

Quote from: "Chimera"My relationship with my parents has always been good, thought it's been strained lately due to my being unemployed at the moment (for psychological reasons) and my unwillingness to seek "spiritual guidance" for my depression. My dad is certain I have demons in me.   :P I'm just waiting for him to break out the holy water and crucifix.